“A real asset”

Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A real asset”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Ota-Ya is a real asset to our area, with fresh ingredients carefully prepared, and delightful service. The room is tired, and could really use a refresh, but otherwise there is little to criticize about this fairly priced BYOB.

Visited March 2014

New Hope, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fetch Yourself Takeout”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Let me start with the positive: The sushi was high-quality (mostly, except for the unacceptable number of bones I found in my salmon sashimi), the rice was very good, and the selection was what one would expect from a Japanese/sushi restaurant.

Now for the rest: Our server was, at best, effective. She seemed surly and preoccupied. She wasn't the only one working. The place wasn't that busy. She shuffled around in floppy shoes that just added to the overall air of "I'm not really happy to be doing this" atmosphere. The facility is too brightly lit, and in need of some real sprucing up. Paper napkins on the table for dinner is not congruent with the price point. Our table wobbled through dinner. I left seriously disappointed with the entire experience.

Maybe some of my disappointment is due to the fact that the only other nearby sushi restaurant closed just before I tried Ota-Ya for the first time, and I am a huge sushi fan who then felt orphaned. I had avoided it for years because there were always leaking, stinking trashcans on the sidewalk outside (on a side of the building not near either of the entrances, thank goodness), and because parking can be a challenge (there's no dedicated parking lot). The entire atmosphere is stark-bright and unwelcoming. Needs an infusion of zen. I suppose BYOB helps with that, but I did not BMO anything. I left very disappointed. I suppose I will now need to go to Doylestown if I want to sit in a restaurant and enjoy sushi locally.

If takeout works for you, definitely try Ota-Ya. Ignore the less-than-enthusiastic server. Enjoy the quality (caveat: a careful sushi chef would not serve bone-bearing fish, but I did get that in, admittedly, only two pieces out of about 20 of sashimi) of the fresh fish and nicely flavored rice. I had only sushi and sashimi, so I can't speak to the quality of other types of fare. The place was filled with locals, many -- most, actually -- of whom I or my dining companion knew personally. While that's nice, it's not relevant to the quality of the food or service. Skip the dining room. Order to go.

• Visited February 2014
Lambertville, New Jersey
“Ota-Ya”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Came in with a large group and they seemed unprepared. Food was fair, service was spotty. Only Japanese restaurant in town.

Visited June 2013
Merchantville, New Jersey
“Mediocre and outdated”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

As a big fan of sushi, I had to try them out, but won't go back. I gave them more than 5 chances. Restaurant is outdated, hostess is lacking all energy and warmth, prices are steep, and food portions are quite small.

Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A treasure in Lambertville”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

With an emphasis on freshness and authenticity of ingredients, Lambertville BYO Ota-Ya adds creative preparations, good value and efficient, warm service. We especially like the sushi rolls that come in so many combinations. Only the tired decor detracts from the experience.

• Visited November 2013