“Food O.K, Manager was extremely rude”

Ota-Ya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 50 Restaurants in Lambertville
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Restaurant was packed and we didn't have a reservation, but they got us in pretty quickly. Sushi was ok, chicken teriyaki was really good. Beware: sodas come from cans so they are extremely flat tasting

The real problem was the managers comment to us while were eating our dinner. My girlfriend and I had two rolls shared between us for an appetizer and then our own entrees after. Right when we received our entrees, a man(assuming the manager or owner) walked by and said to us " Oh, second round?" I was extremely shocked that someone would say that to customers and I responded with, "We just had sushi before..." feeling embarrassed and needing to defend myself. I don't care what culture they're from.. people eat appetizers at restaurants so why would the manager say such a thing ! I couldn't even finish my meal because I was so upset over the comment. Extremely rude

We will not be coming again.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is simply the best place in Lambertville. Lovely servers, deliciously fresh sushi all the time. So consistently good. It's a bit pricey but good sushi should be pricey. Get the Basil Sandwich - the best thing on the menu. (It's not really a basil sandwich.)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I haven't ordered from them in about a year, but remember the sushi being extremely fresh and deliciously. A definite experience to enjoy!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Note the restaurant is BYOB, but there is a nice liquor store a half a block away. Sushi is very good, extremely fresh, and the best in the area. They have the best spicy tuna I have ever tasted. Service is excellent. Note that the place is always packed, and you will need reservations on weekends. They also have Hibachi on weekends.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We hadn't been to Ota-Ya in quite a while because we had been out of town. This time we made reservations for 11 people in order to celebrate my husband's birthday. One always worries about being in such a large party and ordering sushi. The wait can be long because everything is made to order. Ota-Ya did a fabulous job. We brought large bottles of saki along with wine. The server immediately heated several portions for the table. Several people ordered bento boxes. Others ordered a wide variety of speciality rolls and sushi. Miraculously, everyone was served at the same time, and the food was terrific. Though I did not eat traditional sushi, others said the fish was fresh tasting and looked beautiful. We marveled at the reasonable bill. Of course, one reason is that it is a byo restaurant. We were never rushed, though the restaurant is not large, and we took up a good portion of it. It was a really positive experience. I can't wait to go back. My "Enter the Dragon Roll" was memorable.

1  Thank travelontheroad08530