“DREADFUL!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hamilton's Grill Room

Hamilton's Grill Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Hamilton's Grill Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 45 Restaurants in Lambertville
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Union Street
Description: Garden seating inside and out. Catering on and off site: Weddings, Cocktail Parties, Rehearsal Dinners, Bridal / Baby Showers, Anniversaries, Graduations, Fundraisers, Birthdays, Christening / Confirmations, Bar / Bat Mitzvahs, Holiday Celebrations, Business Events, Corporate Meetings, Team Building -Cooking Classes. Established in 1986. Canal side, nestled in the European charm of a courtyard near the Delaware River and surrounded by quaint antique shops and art galleries, it is the remarkable creation and signature of award winning Broadway set designer and restaurateur Jim Hamilton, & reflects his one-of-a-kind signature style. Warm, soulful and sophisticated, the Grill Room remains one of the most romantic & unique places to dine in the Northeast. As owner of the popular Hamilton's Grill Room in Lambertville-NJ, Jim Hamilton is well-known in the restaurant and arts community, and his years as a theater set designer gained him a reputation on Broadway and beyond.
new jersey
“DREADFUL!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

My friends and i went there tonight and were terribly disappointed. I ordered a Caesar salad, (grilled), and it was good. it was the only good part of our meal. For my entree, i ordered the Pasta Primavera....primavera means "spring vegetables', but not here - they put meat in the dish! I never send food back, but I couldn't eat it, so i sent it back (yes, i'm sure they just picked the meat out of my dish and sent it back to me, i know). And the vegetables consisted of one piece of asparagus, cut up to tiny pieces and lima beans. Both of my friends ordered the tuna special - rare. Well, i saw the waitress bringing their dishes over and from 10 feet away i could see the tuna was not rare....med/well, was more like it. they tried their dish and said it tasted like shoe leather. It was horrible. they had to send it back. Never had i been out where not only i, but my two friends, had to send back their meal. To make matters worse, the waiter NEVER came over to see how things were (we had to flag him down, cause he was chatting elsewhere), never offered pepper or cheese for my pasta or refilled our water glasses. On top of that, no one came over to pour our wine - and this was an additional bill on top of our bill! So they had a woman deliver the wine & open it - expected an additional tip but never once poured for us! We will NEVER go back to this place. It's EXPENSIVE ($30.00 for the tuna - the inedible tuna!), HORRIBLE service and dreadful food. I don't know if the owners/manager reads these things, but i hope they do something about it - i honestly don't know how they stay in business. I'm sure it's because of a nice locale not repeat customers. And it's not a byob...the restaurant across the way was (which, btw, they said they had NO reservations (we had wine with us) but there was always at *least* 4-5 tables open the entire time.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Broomall, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Waste Your Money!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

Last weekend my husband and I went to celebrate my birthday and boy, what a BIG disappointment! The restaurant itself was very warm and charming. Our server did an excellent job, but the meal was terrible! I ordered the spring chicken and I honestly think a chicken nugget has more meat than this whole bird! The mashed potatoes and green beans were way too salty.

We complained to our waiter and he claims next week they're going to start serving a bigger chicken because they've been receiving complaints about this meal. The person who sat us down also told us they'd give me something for dessert to celebrate my birthday and they never even acknowledged it.

My husband ordered the steak and he thought it was fair, but he also had very salty potatoes. We'd never return to this restaurant. Don't waste your money here because there are tons of other restaurants that have much better quality food.

Bucks County
“We wanted to love the place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

Loved sitting outside in the courtyard...loved bringing our own great bottles of wine...just did not like the food much. We had been given a gift certificate to visit so we decided to share it with family. Steaks were overcooked and tough; celebrated shrimp and mozzarella dishes were under-whelming; loved our server who had a great attitude and took great care of us as well as the straw hat brimed hostess who seated us away from the annoying masses of humanity. Dinner was just not great and for the price tag (wow --- it was a lot) it should have been. Loved the setting outside, loved the service, just found the food exceptionally ordinary and quite expensive. If you have a choice to go somewhere else, I would explore other possibilities. They seem to be trading on past laurels here -- but food is not up to par. We have one more gift certificate to use up here -- but after than -- we won't be back. Really sorry to have to say this....

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Point Pleasant, PA
“WONDERFUL!! Don't let these "bad" reviews stop you from going!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

My husband and I went here on Tuesday night for an early Valentine's Day dinner. This is hands down our favorite place to go for special occassions and it makes me sick to my stomach when I read the bad reviews here. We have eaten here many times - Mr. Hamilton is usually hovered over the grill in the grill room working his magic and tending to the adobe oven where they make personal pizzas as appetizers.

If you are looking for a cheap meal, not for you. If you are looking for an over the top, ubber fancy leave hungry fru-fru place, not for you. If you enjoy REAL food, that taste like it is suppose to, NOT smothered in weird sauces, truffle butters, or bizzarre flavors, than THIS is for you.

Granted, it isn't a big place, make a reservation - if you are still skeptical after reading these reviews - go for lunch, they just started serving it on the weekends. But, if you go to dinner on the weekend, yes, it is going to be busy, the waitstaff may not be as attentive and because the restaurant is set up as several different rooms, yes, it can get a little noisy but what busy restaurant ISN'T on the weekends?!?

For those complaining about prices - yes, their Ribeye will be about $40 it is a HUGE piece of meat and will be the best tasting meat you have ever had. If you want run of the mill, slapped on a grill, go to Outback and get their $15 hunk of meat. If you want aged to perfection, Gallaghers or Luger style cuts from heaven - pay up and enjoy.

Now for the other note that ticked me off.... If you order the WEDGE salad, then YES, you have to cut up yourself since it is - a WEDGE SALAD which does elude to some sort of "self service" as someone below wrote. As implied it is a head of lettuce cut into a wedge - this isn't Salad Works where lettuce comes from a bag - it is a REAL head of lettuce!

BYOB or stop at the boat house nextdoor for a drink before (and after) and be sure to leave room for dessert - the flourless espresso torte and blood orange sorbet are both a great way to end a great meal.

In summary, you are not going to get a big diner type menu, you are not going to get a little sliver of beef with a scallion tied up around it, you are not going to get a small piece of fish smothered in a cream sauce that covers up the taste of the fish. What you will get is a menu full of items that are prepared with respect for the food - letting it taste like it is suppose to - in portions that will NEVER leave you hungry. GO! You will love it like we do!

1 Thank bobnjeni
Robbinsville, NJ
“Not easy to find, but worth the search!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2009

Despite the Coryell St address, Hamilton's Grill Room is actually located in an alley off Coryell, behind some stores. They could use a bigger sign so that people can find it easier. The place is great, simple but elegant. Food is great. Excellent fresh salads, and with that awesome wood burning grill, the meats are delicious. I had a skirt steak and it was excellent. Our waiter was fantastic. All the staff was very professional. It's a BYOB which I always like. Very romantic. Some people have indicated it is kid friendly, but I don't think so.

1 Thank SkipNJ