“Good but be sure you know what you're getting!”

El Tule Authentic Mexican & Peruvian Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Lambertville
Cuisines: Mexican, Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The love of family, friends and great food is a tradition for the Egoavils.Having relocated to the United States from Peru in 1992, they sought the opportunities their new home offered. They have now realized their family dream of owning and operating their own restaurant. El Tule was previously the home of another restaurant offering Mexican fare. The Egoavil Family has infused the eatery with a vibe all its own. El-Tule’s Mexican-Latin fusion includes traditional Mexican offerings as well as the addition of Peruvian menu items. Peruvian food has been gaining momentum among foodies across the nation, and prior to El Tule was extremely hard to find in the Delaware Valley. El Tule offers both indoor and outdoor dining. Guests may bring their own wine or alcohol of choice. Our patio is dog friendly.Subpages
Bordentown, New Jersey
“Good but be sure you know what you're getting!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We tried El Tule on the good review in our local paper as well as reviews on line so we were looking forward to a nice experience. As with other reviewers, the food was very good --- HOWEVER "Jack", the greeter/co-owner/server was "discretely" rude and insulting. Not familiar with Peruvian food, we ordered the Sampler, When delivered, Jack quickly ran thru each item and left -- one of which was avacado with shrimp salad which was NOT on the menu or described before ording. I have a huge shell-fish allerg yet, again because of the crowed, it was difficult to get Jack's attention --- my husband said he would take the salad so I tried to move it to his plate. Finally Jack came over, we explained the problem, -- at first he was resistant to replace the shrimp saying it was "typical Peruvian" -- ok -- our first Peruvian meal -- how would we know?. He then said "no problem, and would replace it with chicken. Great. As we were finishing the rest of our food, the avacado with chicken salad arrived. He didn't want to take back the shrimp salad so we sent it back with our completed dishes. Flan was delicious -- large protion. the bill arrived and we were charged an additional $13.00 for the chicken salad!!! Got Jack's attention - again -- and he said the dishes were pre-prepared (as opposed to every dish is freshly prepared) and he couldn't do anything about it. REALLY?? He's the co-owner. He seemed highly offended we had even asked to return the shrimp and insisted the charge was valid. We asked for the shrimp salad back to take home for my husband -- he seemed he more offended. We stupidly paid and left. Yes, the food is good --- yet the service by an owner dispicable and uncalled for.

1 Thank AngelaP1995
Eduarpsu, Owner at El Tule Authentic Mexican & Peruvian Restaurant, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
I am very sorry that your experience at El Tule was not what you expected.
there a couple things i do want to point out to you:

1) you came in a very busy Sunday afternoon without a reservation, and we sat you right away while a lot of people were turned away because we were full.

2) i spent some time with you and your husband going over the menu and explaining the ceviches, the dishes, and what the restaurant offers. And at any time during our conversation you mentioned that you had a shellfish allergy.

3) You never requested the dish that you sent back to the kitchen to take back home, or i would have given it back to you.

i do apologized if you felt that our service was not up to part, we did try our best.
thanks

Pitman, NJ
“Yummy food and quaint atmosphere”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Took a trip to Lambertville to try El Tule for brunch - it was really really good stuff. I ordered off the Peruvian menu since I don't often get the chance. I had smashed quinoa wrapped in banana leaves topped with lemon pickled onions. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was spicy and flavorful. My sister ordered the Quesadilla Racheros. That was filled with eggs, cheese, tomato, avocados and so many other things. It held together and was delicious. My daughter thought she was ordering enchalidas but when it arrived it was a torta - There is a bit of a language barrier with our waiter so we take 50% of the blame. All the same, it was a huge pork sandwich and was also very good. We tried the Peruvian hot chocolate - I loved it but my daughter (12 y/o) didn't like "whatever' was floating on top - I think it was bits of shaved chocolae and spices. The restaurant is clean and the decor festive and Mexican. I would recommend eating here if you're in the area.

“a wonderful anniversary”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Thank you to the staff of El Tule for making our anniversary celebration so special. We plan to go back year after year! Check out the menu and to see wht

Visited April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food, nothing special service and atmosphere”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I like a good byo and food with some flare for sure. On the food front, El Tule delivers in spades. The combination of Mexican and Peruvian is perfect and the selections are broad but manageable. The only hesitation is around the service and by that I don't just mean the pace. It really is more about the staff making you feel as special as they clearly think they are. Upon arrival we were questionned and told we had to wait for the next "seating" - even though we were there at the time of our reservation and we could see two tables for four available. That was odd and kinda unnecessary, but mostly it just wasn't very welcoming or fun and friendly. So, by all means go, enjoy the wonderful flavors, but manage your expectations around the details.

Pennsylvania
“Get transported back to Latin America - In New Jersey”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food was excellent and the Service by Jack (co-owner, whose Mom just happens to be the Chef), was exceptional.

My wife and I had the Ceviche-mixto as an appetizer. I had the Tacu-tacu bifstec and my wife had the surf-'n'turf (sorry can't remember the correct spanish name for it)! The Tacu-tacu was recommended by Jack and it did not disappoint. It was absolutely delicious. In fact, even though my wife's dish was great, she was jealous that she didn't get the same thing. So I shared! We focused only on the Peruvian dishes since we're lived in Texas for many years and have had our fill of Mexican.

In terms of ambiance, this smallish place takes the decor seriously to transport you back to where you dont feel like you are in New Jersey at all. The colors, decorations, linens, etc...all make you feel like you are in Latin America.

Will definitely be going back, next time with the kids to see what all the not-so-positive reviews are talking about.

This place ain't cheap. However, it is BYOB so do take advantage of that. I suggest a Shiraz or Zinfandel will go best with these Latin American Spices. Also a Carmenere or Rioja will go well.