“The Perfect Counrty Inn”

Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Lambertville B&B and Inns
Wyckoff, NJ
“The Perfect Counrty Inn”
Reviewed November 13, 2007

The House is BEAUTIFUL, a perfect old Stone beauty. The grounds are just as lovely, and the Alpaca's are adorable. From the minute you walk in the front door, you feel the granduer and warmth of this wonderful place. Our room was spacious, and had all the comforts, but with all the charm of an old home. The breakfasts were very special, you could tell how much care had gone into the planning and preparation. Nothing ordinary here. You are 2 minutes from the heart of the shops and restaurants in Lambertville, but you have the serenity and space of a farm on a country lane. Just lovely. We will return.

• Liked — The beautiful old house & setting
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wyckoffgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I have been using the Chimney Hill Estate B & B as a frequent retreat / get-a-way place for some time now...and I absolutely love it.

I am always greeted with a smile...and always feel welcome.

Breakfast is not-to-be-missed...always wonderful :) The rooms are tastefully decorated and have just the right touches.

Romantic, picturesque, ...the complete package!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We just returned from a one night stay at the Chimney Hill Estate Inn in Lambertville, NJ. I first booked our stay with their "Last Minute Special". We went to book 1 night on the internet that was priced $245 per night. I had to call them because the website would only allow a 2 night stay. They said they would have to check with the innkeeper to see if a 1 night stay would be acceptable. I later received a phone call that the innkeeper would allow the stay. When we got there my credit card was charged $314.20--not $245.00. I realize that there is tax, etc, but not $70.00 worth!
My biggest disappointment was the way we were treated, or rather ignored. I guess I failed to mention that we're a gay couple. Now, if you know anything about Lambertville and neighboring New Hope, you would know that there is a large gay population. Well, from the beginning, the woman who checked us in could not look us in the eye. I ignored that as, maybe it was my imagination. But this morning at breakfast, she went around to each table to tell each couple what was for breakfast except for us. This was by no means an oversight. We felt incredibly UNwelcomed and couldn't wait to leave!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
16 Thank ving
CHFE, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Sorry to hear there was miscommunication in the Last Minute Special service. We have modified the system and have not had an issue since.
Our Innkeepers take great pride in their work.
We apoligize if you felt they did not offer more conversation, I am certain it was a situation of preoccupation with their work during breakfast.
We hope you will come back soon and give us another chance.
Terry
West Chester, PA
Reviewed July 24, 2007

My husband and I love Chimney Hill Inn! It is a peaceful respite from the busyness of the world. We stayed in the barn suites and it was just perfect! It felt like we had our very own home away from home there. The staff is very friendly and helpful with regards to knowing the area and helping us to make reservations for dinner and activities. They went above and beyond to ensure that we felt comfortable and "at home". We found the rooms to be clean and thoughtfully decorated. There is a fireplace in the barn suite that we would love to come back to use in the wintertime! Overall we had a very pleasureable experience and will be sure to let our friends and relatives know about this best kept secret on the hill in Lambertville!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We booked three nights in the barn suite # 2 but only stayed one night. When we arrived I noticed that the room had a musty, off smell and opened the sliding glass door in the bedroom to air it out . The smell dissipated in the bedroom but still was in the sitting room. When I turned down the bed, I saw 2 spots on the blanket. I called their 800 number to advise them but no one answered the phone. Then I walked to the office but no one was there (just a sign "return at 10 AM"). We had plans that evening and didn't have time to hunt anyone down. We found a clean blanket in the room's closet and switched it.

The next morning, while waiting for breakfast at 9 AM , I decided to take a bath in the spa tub. The jets did not work. One of the shower heads did not work either.

At breakfast, we complained to the new operations manager about the room. She made an offer to upgrade us. We asked to first see the room and we would decide whether we would stay.

The operations manager came to the room and it was our responsibility to show her the evidence of our complaints (smelling the sofa, turning on the water, handing over the dirty blanket). After the tour, she said that she rather refund our money than having us stay in a another room that we would not be satisfied with. She said she would discount the room and refund the unused nights. My husband said "OK - let's just call it a night and be done with it".

When we checked out a few minutes later, they did not give us a discount for the night we stayed. I asked about the discount and she said that my husband agreed to just be done with it. It was if they suspected we were making up these complaints in order to get a discount. The fact is that we have plenty of family in the area and if we wanted free lodging we would have stayed with them.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
12 Thank logistics2
CHFE, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
It is our goal to make our guest very happy. In this situation offering a different room as an upgrade is our standard policy; if an estate room has problem that is unresolvable, which is extremely rare.
When a guest continues to be disatisfied and we cannot please them, it is a reasonable option for the Innkeeper to offer a refund for the remainder of stay and a reasonabole discount for the already used room.
This is to releive the guest from their lodging commitment if they have already made up their minds to go elsewhere.
We think this is a good policy although we rarely have a guest this unhappy.
new jersey
Reviewed February 9, 2007

I have stayed at the Chimney Hill Farm Estate on multiple occasions. It is a beautiful property where you are made to feel at home and receive quality treatment. I have stayed in the main house as well as the barn suites and both have been exceptional experiences.

The setting is gorgeous. It is a true retreat. There is plenty of activity if you choose - great shopping and restaurants; and there is the choice of doing nothing, resting in your beautiful, quiet, room. All the rooms have fireplaces.

The breakfast room in the main house has a fireplace and you are served by candlelight with soft music playing in the background. The owners, The Andersons, leave no stone unturned in making sure you receive star treatment. It is a great place and I would highly recommend a visit.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank CK283
new york
Reviewed September 18, 2006

We had the most relaxing time at the Chimney Hill Estate. This is a wonderful place to escape your hectic life. My boyfriend and I do a lot of traveling and this B&B is one we'd recommend to friends. The inn is decorated perfectly; country without being cutesy. The property is beautiful and feels very secluded though it's not too far from town. We even stayed in one of the smaller rooms with a bathroom across the hall and didn't feel inconvienenced at all.
They provide guests with fluffy robes, plenty of reading material and games, a great butler's pantry, sherry in the evening and a fabulous full breakfast. We came looking for peace and quiet and we got plenty of that, too.
A computer was also available for checking e-mail but we preferred strolling the grounds and observing the cool alpacas and a handful of deer. We also sat in the gardens and watched the many butterflies at work.
I have to say one of the best things was pretending we had the house totally to ourselves since the inkeepers weren't around, chatting our ears off. We had total privacy and seclusion, exactly what we were looking for.
We also had to check in late because of an emergency on the way. If you can't figure out where your key is, by the way, right next to the very prominent front door in a big envelope with your name on it, you have bigger problems to worry about!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lotusveda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lambertville
The Lambertville House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lambertville
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope
The Temperance House Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Newtown

Been to Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn? Share your experiences!