“5 stars to Alexis and Shirley”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lakewood
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have to say that my time spent in New Jersey was made simpler by the assistance of Alexis at the front desk and Shirley at the morning breakfast. These two ladies went well above the minimum needed to do their jobs - they stepped up and went above and beyond without prompting.

The problem with such a statement makes it seem that other staff at the hotel did not do an excellent job. Let me make it clear - the entire staff at this facility did an exceelent job across the board in their efforts to assist me with any request I made. Though I am not one of those needy individuals constantly asking for special attention - I must admit I often felt like one by the attention to detail the staff took with each of my requests.

No matter, there were two individuals that constantly stood apart from one and all - Alexis and Shirley.

Bravo Zulu ladies!

Room Tip: Smile when you walk in! If you made reservations via the internet your rooms are preselected. If y...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GeorgeM34653
Jenny F, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Hi GeorgeM34653

Wow! What an amazing review! We greatly appreciate such wonderful comments about our staff. The customer experience is our number one priority, and it is great to hear that the staff is exceeding expectations.

Your comments will be shared with Alexis and Shirley as well as the rest of the staff. They will definitely appreciate your wonderful comments.

We hope you choose to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Garden in last month for a wedding and the staff was nothing but helpful. The lady Karen at the front desk accommodated my husband and I, and made us feel very welcome. She was friendly and willing to do anything to make our stay enjoyable. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to family and friends!

Hi Whitney H,

Thank you so much for the wonderful 5-star review! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made your stay even more enjoyable. Your comments will be shared with the entire staff!

Thanks again!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at Hilton Garden Inn one short Saturday evening on way from northern NJ to Atlantic City, so we did not have to arise before crack of dawn to drive all the way for my daughter's gymnastics competition. Arrived 6PM, checked in, dropped bagsm and walked next door to Longhorn Saloon for dinner. Check in was fast and courteous. Wait for dinner was long. Ruby Tuesday and Starbucks are next door on other side, all sharing same entrance and parking -- very short walk. Dinner took long time due to hour wait, but lots of shopping and places to eat in short driving distance.

Arrived back at hotel and requested additional pillows and towels, since two adults and two kids. Room had two "sections" separated by a mini "hall" with closets on one side and bathroom on other side. Good size room, with queen bed on bedrrom side and full size pull out couch on other. Four people were booked on the reservation, but they left only three towels in the room. Two flat screen TV's, one on each side. Bathroom was good size, with good shower (hot water, pressure, etc.). Reasonably comfortable room HVAC controls, and not at all noisy for the HVAC.

The biggest complaint was noise in the hall late at night. My wife and daughter slept on bedroom side toward back of the room, with our room on back side facing a quiet parking lot for the hotel. They heard nothing. My son and I were in the living area by room door. There must have been some group staying in several rooms near us, with teenagers and young adults. At 11 PM they were out in the hall talking very loudly. I opened the door and asked them nicely to tone it down. When the noise continued again at same level, I called the front desk, as I did not want my daughter disturbed the evening before a big gymnastics meet (which is why I did not book a hotel in Atlantic City). The desk said they would send security up, which they must have done, because it got quiet pretty quickly at about 11:30.

Breakfast at the hotel was above expectations. The service was excellent. The food was fresh, and the made to order omelettes were suprisingly good. Check out was fast.

While the hotel is easy to get to from Garden State Parkway southbound at exit 88, just off the exit ramp to the right. The other complaint (and not hotel's fault) is that you can't get right back onto the Garden State Parkway south from Rt 70 right by the hotel. We had to drive quite a way to get back onto the Parkway, but made it to Atlantic City in just over an hour.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear SDND,

Thank you for a fantastic review! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your recent stay with us at Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay! We apologize for the inconveniences your experienced, but we are glad we were able to fix the issues in a timely manner.

We hope you choose to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I drove ten hours from another state to spend Christmas with my family. Our son and his family flew in from Texas and stayed at the hotel with us. On Christmas morning, our daughter and her family drove three hours from PA to have brunch at the hotel with all of us. I didn't know what to expect Christmas morning to be like in a hotel and not at home since our four grandchildren were there, but it turned out great. We all spent a few hours in the little "private" living room and opened gifts in front of a cozy fireplace. The wait-staff in the dining area and the desk staff made us feel welcome. Our rooms were clean and comfortable.
The hotel is on a highway, so we asked for a room at the back which was quiet. There are two restaurants within walking distance, both serving gluten free options which is important to us. And there is a Starbucks there, too.
I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Jenny F, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Joanne D,

What a lovely review! We greatly appreciate you giving us 5-stars for your recent holiday stay. It is great to hear that we could provide a comforting environment for you and your family to spend the holidays together.

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words on TripAdvisor. We hope you choose to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Christmas time while visiting relatives. I chose it because it was the only smoke free hotel I could find in the area. It was significantly more expensive than other local hotels and I'm not sure it was worth it. The room was clean and comfortable and relatively quiet, but nothing exceptional. The staff was courteous but with a few exceptions was very cold, bordering on unfriendly. THere were a few inconveniences like our key cards didn't work the first time, they forgot to give us our breakfast vouchers, no towels in the pool area and having to wait 30 minutes for someone to bring them and the rooms are not cleaned until after 4:00 which was inconvenient for us and the internet in the business center kept crashing. Cookies in the afternoon were a nice touch. I'd say if it had been $50 a night cheaper and the staff had cracked a smile I'd have been content.

Hi BostonMumu,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood on TripAdvisor. We always appreciate feedback from our guests and will take your comments into consideration as we want to keep our guests happy during their stay.

Thank you again for sharing your recent experience, and we hope you choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I grew up in Toms River and moved to Northern Virginia about 15 years ago. When I found out I'd have to attend a last-minute event in Toms River, I thought the hotel/motel choices would be the same old run-down places that have been there since the early 80s and 90s. The Hilton Garden Inn was a pleasant surprise, and there is no doubt if I or my family need to visit Toms River, this is the only place we'd stay.

It's new, clean, and contemporary. Very inviting decor, with a modern fireplace and free cookies and coffee/tea as you enter. The staff were very pleasant. My room was clean and the bed comfortable, though as other reviewers have noted, the AC/heating unit is quite noisy. Other than that, zero complaints. There is also a Ruby Tuesday, Starbucks, and Longhorn Steakhouse that shares the site with the hotel, which is terrific, but on weekends I'd suggest parking in the rear vs. competing for spaces with restaurant-goers.

One thing I would mention for travelers is that there is no access Garden State Parkway South at the nearby intersection - North access only. Minor inconvenience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel away from the Route 70 side, if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Hi Karen A,

Thank you for an outstanding review of Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood! It is comforting to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be inviting.

We hope you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

For the first time in our lives we spent Christmas in a hotel. Family came in from Texas, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. We stayed at this hotel and found the staff very accommodating. The food was good, the rooms were clean and having our Christmas morning in a section of the lobby away from the front doors next to a fireplace with "our own" Christmas tree was nice.

If you are visiting the Jersey Shore I would suggest you stay here. It is near an entrance to the Garden State Parkway you you can access almost any part of the shore easily, North or South. Good restaurants nearby, and a Starbucks within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the highway (on the back of the hotel)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Jenny F, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Hi Barry D,

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5-star review. We are so glad to hear that your stay with us over the holidays was a fantastic one!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We hope you choose to stay with us again if you are ever in New Jersey!

Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakewood
Best Western Leisure Inn
Ramada Toms River
Ramada Toms River
#3 of 11 in Toms River
Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore
Hampton Inn Neptune/Wall
Radisson Hotel Freehold
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood? Share your experiences!