“Nice quality hotel, clean comfortable, friendly staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lakewood
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed one night while traveling on business, so I didn't use the hotel to it's full potential. It met the typical Hilton Garden standards. The overall hotel as well as my room was clean and comfortable. The lobby was very nice with plenty of comfortable seating, a TV and fireplace. Several of my co-workers met in the lobby and had plenty of room to gather and stretch out.
The location is very convenient, just off the Garden State Parkway. Plenty of parking. It has a restraunt on either side that you can walk to as well as a Starbucks adjacent to the one restaraunt.
We also had a small company meeting at the hotel. No problems with the meeting room.
The only complaint I have is that they have no free breakfast. Given the premium price for the rooms, I would expect some level of free breakfast, but hey, thats just me. I didn't really want much, so I went to Starbucks for coffee and a muffin. (all I need to get going). Also, I should mention that they do have a small bar. The bartender was very friendly and attentative to our group, which is rare for hotel bars anymore.
Overally, it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MasterTravelMan

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Having stayed at many Hilton's across the US this is by far the nicest of them all. Karen Kraig manager helped book us a room given very short notice (less than 24 hours) and allowed us to use our Hilton Honor points. She gave us great advice when we got there as to where to go, what to see & very accurate directions. My family had a ball. Camille who worked the dining room took great care of my kids at every meal, she was great. The hotel was clean, pretty, professional and more than accommodating. I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to the Jersey Shore. Plus it was about 15-20 minutes from all the attractions. Plenty of great places to eat right on Rte. 70 too.

1  Thank Gina M
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last weekend and overall were very pleased with the spaciousness, comfort, design, and cleanliness of the room (we had a room with 2 queen beds). Although we were only there for one night, this room would be comfortable for a longer stay. We were there Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning and slept well. However, although we did not hear any noise (in part perhaps because we both took Ambien!), my brother and his wife--who were in a room across the hall--were kept awake all night by loud partiers in the front parking lot (probably guests from the weddings posted on the lobby bulletin board) as well as by a couple "enjoying themselves" loudly next door. Of course, having quiet neighbors in a hotel is the luck of the draw, but probably the reason my husband and I were not disturbed by outside partying is that our room faced the back parking lot and people were not hanging out there.
Another complaint is that you have to pay for breakfast. I've been spoiled by the Hampton Inn free breakfast buffets, so I usually consider this in picking a hotel but in this case the Hilton Garden Inn was most convenient. You don't have to eat breakfast at the hotel (we didn't)--there is a Starbucks next door and plenty of other places to eat in short driving distance. There are also a Ruby Tuesday and a Longhorn Steakhouse next door. Just don't expect gourmet food there or anywhere else in the vicinity--this is, after all, the Jersey Shore and retirement village land (and I say this lovingly as a former Jersey girl and daughter of Leisure Village residents).
A comment about cleanliness--I rated it 3 because although our room was very clean, the lobby area needed work (mainly that tables needed to be wiped).

Room Tip: If staying on the weekend, ask for a room facing the back of the hotel and not on the first floor.
1  Thank freedshop
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We decided to stay here instead of the various motels closer to the beaches--mostly because we've enjoyed our other stays at Hiltons, but also because we weren't just planning on hanging at the beach. We went to Six Flags and did some shopping, and also visited Seaside Heights and Point Pleasant. Basically, this hotel was in a pretty central location for us. We booked the breakfast package and were very satisfied. In addition to muffins and various pastries, there were bagels and toast, yogurt, fresh fruit, various juices, cereal, and oatmeal with various toppings. Plus, we could order eggs/omelettes, waffles, and french toast--all very good. Our room was very nice. We ended up asking for a rollaway cot ($10 extra) so one of the kids could sleep 'alone,' and there was enough room to put it out of the way. Beds were comfy, and everything was spotless. The front-desk staff were wonderful. There's a Ruby Tuesdays and LongHorn Steakhouse on either side of the hotel. It was nice to walk just steps over to Ruby Tuesdays for a late-night snack on a couple of evenings. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again next time we visit.

2  Thank k_arch_11
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I have been at this hotel since the 25th of June, and will be here for the remainder of the month. The facility is very nice; breakfast is good; staff are generally very cordial. Minimal service is acceptable- housecleaning, etc. But anything out of the ordinary is kind of a stretch. I reported last Thursday morning that the ice machine on Level 4 was nit working. My colleague reported on Monday evening that the same machine was still not working. The front desk attendant took a note and was shocked that it hadn't been fixed. It's now Wednesday evening - still not working. Is it a trip killer? No. But after a long day of running around solving problems, the last thing I want to do is get on an elevator to find a floor with a functioning ice machine. Additionally, Sunday through Thursdays - pretty good. Friday and Saturday - lots of weddings, lots of kids, lots of noise.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RML1952
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I am a single Mother with 3 kids and the last time we came to NJ we stayed at the Sea Girt Lodge in Brick. I didn't sleep a wink. I found the Hilton a few miles away in Lakewood and was very pleasantly surprised. Your typical business type of hotel (not a run down motor lodge which seems very prevalent in this area). Clean and safe, which are 2 of my main concerns with children. The beds were very comfortable with a thermostat controlled air conditioner. The room included a coffee maker, little refrigerator and microwave which we didn't use. We were there for a funeral and they offered a bereavement rate, lowering the standard rate by a whopping $50!

If I were to critique anything it would be the price for breakfast. They wanted $7.00 for a dry breakfast and $11.99 for a warm breakfast, according to my children. I think for the price of the rooms breakfast would be complimentary or more nominal in price. I would definitely stay here again even if for the regular price -- a good nights sleep is worth it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathy_kidsallgrown
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Nicest hotel in the area; very convenient to Pt. Pleasant, Seaside Heights area. Little pricey but considering the amenities, it's worth the few extra $$.

Indoor swimming pool and hot tub; great work-out equipment; breakfast not included (price is $11 pp). Very clean, great staff.

Room Tip: Handicap access. rms are bigger than king suites.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Persian_Bride
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakewood
Ramada Toms River
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River
15 mi away
Radisson Hotel Freehold
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tinton Falls - Eatontown

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood? Share your experiences!