“Under construction”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenilworth
Pennsylvania
“Under construction”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The Kenilworth Inn has been our holiday stop for a number of years, primarily because it's close to family. This year, however, we were in for a surprise -- the hotel is under construction, and that is definitely affecting the services available.
We visited in November 2013. Our room had new carpeting and paint, but the sink/counter in the bathroom was propped up on 2x4s, the new lighting fixture lacked light bulbs, and the bedding appears to date back to the Nixon Administration. There were bags of cement in the stairwells, loose screws in the parking lot (watch your tires!) and a generally chaotic atmosphere.
We may be back once the construction is done ... but not until then, if ever.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's been renovated. Completely. Some rooms are being rented when they are half...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I'd like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feed back and for your loyalty to our hotel.
As you mentioned, we are in fact under renovation. We are just about done with our rooms and you will be glad to know that this week we will begin installing our new furniture and bathroom vanities. The new amenities include pillow top mattresses, larger LCD TVs, media hubs on customized dresser desks, new lighting and art work, sofa beds, and designer lounge chairs and ottomans, just to name a few. All in all, it is a complete transformation from what the hotel use to be so I really hope you decide to come back and experience the new Kenilworth Boutique Hotel.
As always, it will be a pleasure to serve you and make your stay a memorable one.
Kenilworth Inn Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Kenilworth was recommended by co-workers who live in the area. My experience was less than stellar. The hotel is under renovation. There is no mask for the construction and it's uncomfortable. The room I was rented only half way complete and I was charged full price for it. At 3am the trash company came and emptied the dumpsters outside my window. No lamps on the night stand, broken coffee pot. I was the only one at the continental breakfast and the people working there were complaining to each other. There was no discount offered for the inconvenience of discomfort due to the construction. I'd be willing to give it another try after construction is complete because of the proximity of the Inn to where I work, but until then a little farther drive to another place would be well worth a nights' sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the parkway.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am saddened to hear that your stay with us was less than stellar. I would have loved to have the opportunity to correct these issues for you during your stay and do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered.

You'll be happy to know that we are about 75% done with our room renovation and have added several additional perks and amenities to the rooms including 42" LCD TVs, brand new pillow top bedding, sofa beds and cozy lounge chairs and ottomans. I would love to have you come back and experience an entirely new stay with us. I'm sure you will find it much to your liking.

Please feel free to contact me when making your travel arrangements. I look forward to meeting you soon.

Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here late September 2013 to visit family and to sightsee in NYC. The room had recently been renovated with new carpeting, new quilts, new bathroom floor, new lighting. That was great. The furniture was still the old furniture, although the lady at the front desk told us that new furniture was coming in soon. The desk chair was kind of rickety for example. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. This is an interior hall hotel. There was still a lot of construction/renovating going on. The hallway carpeting was covered with plastic still and several rooms on our hall were still being renovated and painted. There were pallets of construction materials sitting in some hallways also but they didn't impede us from walking. One annoying thing was the several dumpsters and construction equipment taking up many of the parking spots. this wasn't a problem during the week when we stayed but was a big problem while there over the weekend when the hotel had 2 parties-a wedding and another party. It was very difficult to find parking and it was definitely not close to our room.

The continental breakfast was very good. No hot foods but the foods were tasty. Pastries, bagels, cold cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit and mini muffins were available as well as coffee and tea. The lady in charge of the breakfast was very attentive to keeping enough food available as well as heating up the muffins and pastries. The coffee was good.

When making a reservation ask for a room that does not face the Garden State Parkway. Our room did and it was pretty noisy.

There was an A&P food store next door that was convenient and the Garden State Parkway exit was nearby.

Overall I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a discount when calling for a reservation. Ask for a room that doesn't face the Garden...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Diane P
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review about us.

While I realize the construction caused some minor inconveniences, we are very well on the way to completing the rooms and have begun eliminating these issues. You'll be happy to know that we have also begun installing our new bedding which includes plush pillow top mattresses and bigger LCD TVs.

I really hope you come back to see us soon and would be delighted to meet you. Once again, many thanks. We're glad you enjoyed your stay.

La Plata, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were recently in NJ for a family funeral. We had no other choice than to stay at the Kenilworth Inn. It looked like our only other choice was the Hilton at the Newark Airport. I would have gladly stayed there but the rest of our group didn't want to travel that far. So we stayed at the Kenilworth Inn for convenience.

The hotel is very rundown. It looks like it was a very nice hotel "back in the day". But now is in need of some serious renovations. Which they are in the process of. However, until the renovations are complete, it is an uncomfortable stay for anyone who is used to more of a "Hilton-like" experience. The hallways are horrible and have a terrible odor. The rooms are just ok. They are very old and although they have new carpeting, it is very obvious that everything else in the room needs a serious upgrade.

i will say that the continental breakfast was delicious. The coffee was great and the muffins were fresh and tasted homemade. The bagels were also very good. It was a surprisingly very delightful breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. As you mentioned, we are in the process of refurbishing all our rooms which will take care of the issues you've addressed. You'll be happy to know that we are about 70% done with the renovations and are adding many amenities which will make your future stay a more delightful one. While we are aware that you do have alternatives while staying in this area we do appreciate you choosing the Kenilworth Inn and hope to see you again in the near future. We'd love to have you experience the new Kenilworth Inn Boutique Hotel. I'm sure you'll love it.

Sincerely

New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying a few days at the Kenilworth Inn, a charming, clean,and convenient hotel in Kenilworth New Jersey. I was initially greeted by Nicole who must be the " fastest checker inner " in New Jersey as I got greeting quickly and given my keys rapidly. I have to mention Koffi who picked me up at the airport quite promptly and gave me a quick orientation to the hotel and the amenities ( the pool unfortunately was just recently closed ). The next day, I had a wonderful breakfast, supervised by Isabella who is the Queen of the Breakfast Brunch there- every detail was taken care of and she was most gracious and charming- excellent customer service- and every morsel was fresh, the orange juice and coffee delicious and a very wide variety of tasty treats were available. I have to mention the day driver Bob, who is the Best. Bob provided all kinds of information as to where the best Chinese take out was, the location of the nearest Post Office, the location of the nearest bank- and he told us about the Kenilworth Diner which was another treat ! Bob knew the best pizza place- and the best place for a good salad--right next door to the hotel at the local supermarket. Bob was a wealth of information and guidance. I should mention the lobby and the splendor there- candelabra and roomy couches. Everyone at the front desk was helpful and provided all kinds of information about the local amenities- barber shop etc. In short, it was a wonderful visit. I should add that the hotel is undergoing some renovations- but I never heard a sound of noise the entire trip. Great place ! I will be going there again !

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor- avoid the stairs !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank madisonavenue
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind and gracious words. I am please that you enjoyed your stay and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our hotel and staff.

You'll be pleased to know that we are just about done with our room renovations, which will include many new amenities that will make your stay an even more delightful one.

Hope to see you soon.

Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spent the night at the Kenilworth Inn on August 24, 2013. The location was suggested on the invitation to a family event because of proximity. Construction debris was everywhere. One of the major hallways was lined with huge bales of insulation for the remodeling currently in progress. Our room reeked of cigarette smoke, down to the bath towels. Our threadbare bedspread had huge holes in it. All the hallways and main areas smelled. We called the management to tell them how much our room smelled, and was told that they could send a machine up, but that it "would make a lot of noise". The bathtub was very dirty. I had a packet of disinfecting wipes that I'd been carrying in my suitcase for a long time. I'd practically forgotten they were there. At the Kenilworth they got opened and used!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dee S
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable insights regarding your stay with us. I am sadden to learn that your experience with us was not up to our standards.

As you saw, we are working diligently at refurbishing all of our rooms and are actually almost done with room renovations. I would love to have you return and experience an entire new stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are ever in the Kenilworth New Jersey area again.

Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Check in 7/24, out 7/28.
1. Dead bolt didn't work, next afternoon to get fixed
2.Each day card key had to be reset
3. Carpet filthy, white socks black
4.Shower head on hand held cord lays on floor, broken can not mount to hardware so it can hang. Shower mat not removed, slime under it!
5. Smoking at side entrance beside door....walling through smoke..yuck
6. Cheap continental breakfast, no fresh fruit, no waffles,staff nags you to eat at 9:45 am waiting for you to finish.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have addressed the cleanliness and maintenance issues and are in the process of redesigning our breakfast experience for our guests. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and would love to have you back to experience a whole new stay with us.

If you are ever in the area and in need of accommodations, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and offer you an experience that will surpass your expectations. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Jose A. Mojica
Assistant General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills

Been to The Kenilworth Hotel? Share your experiences!