“a good place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenilworth
toms river
“a good place to stay”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Front desk woman was very pleasant, effeciant and helpful. Room was nice- looked recently renovated untill I went to the bathroom- tiles in tub were poorly grouted and caulked, tub looked old and tiles on floor looked new, but grout looked like it used to be white- no longer! TV had plenty of channels and WIFI was free and easy to hook up to. Bed was comfortable.The only problem I encountered was when I got up in the morning (about 7:30 am) as I was walking into the bathroom, someone opened the door- even with the do not disturb sign outside my door- thankfully I had the chain set up. I think it was the cleaning/housekeeping- I peeked out after using the bathroom and saw the cart in front of the next room. Breakfast was very very simple- cold cereal, pastries, english muffins, coffee, tea, apple and orange juice. Not very filling if you're used to a big breakfast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank zoedude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
NJ
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel used to be a holiday inn at one time, it has improved since being taken over several years ago. It is centrally located to most major roads, the town is safe, supermarket right next door and a great restaurant right across the street.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank twcrea
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Missed our connecting flight & got put here. Do not choose this hotel!

We just changed rooms because the upstairs smelled horrible-- chemicals, smoke, old chicken... not sure what exactly that combination was. We can hear everything around us (music, coughing) and there are sketchy guys in the hallway (apparently there's little/ no security... read the other reviews). I don't even want to see what the sheets look like... :(

At least the WiFi works so I can write this review...

Room Tip: not upstairs
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Look at any of the negative reviews on this site, and you will find much better descriptions then I can conjure up. My family and I had to stay there a number of times, because it is the only convenient hotel in the area. I am thankful that I never have to go back.

I also think that the inn is planting some of the reviews, because this spring I was looking at the comments and I saw the exact duplicate of "Jess N"'s review. This reviewer also couldn't fly back to the UK, because of a hurricane and felt that the Kenilworth Inn was a life-saver. Perhaps it is a coincidence, but I am not willing to believe that there are that many people from the UK stranded in Kenilworth, NJ due to different hurricanes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The staff at this hotel were simply amazing. Nicole, Mr. Joe and the rest of the team were awesome. Having to work in very stressful conditions, they made our stay at the Kenilworth Inn (an impromptu one due to Hurricane Sandy meant that we had to find somewhere to stay because our flight home to the UK was cancelled) very welcoming and easy considering there was no power/hot water/heat/internet etc. We stayed a total of five days and in that time, the staff made us feel welcome and accommodated us as much as they could, even though they had bigger problems to sort; we felt that we were just as important to them. If it weren't for their amazing hospitality and kindness, we feel the end of our two week holiday would have been completely ruined. The hotel itself was comfortable, if a little dated, but it suited us just fine. But the main credit of this hotel is definitely the staff. Thank you Nicole and Mr. Joe - you wonderful people! We hope everything is sorted out for them all as soon as possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jess N
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Trying to find a hotel in the Union NJ area is tough when I only have the internet to go by. Last trip to the Union Travelodge was a nightmare..(review on tripadvisor). This time I opted for the Kenilworth Inn.

I was on a business/work trip, and when I travel alone, I am not looking for luxury...just adequate...especially since my company is pretty tight about expenses for the rank and file employees. The Kenilworth was fine in this regards, although I would not take my wife and family there on vacation...

The hotel shows it's age, but is not run down....just not sparkling and shiny. Some maintenance issues in the room, but nothing which negatively affected my stay. Even though the room was non-smoking, it apparently was at some point, or else the previous occupant disregarded...there was the smell of old smoke lingering. (not an issue for me...I am a smoker..but would certainly be an issue for a non-smoker).

The continental breakfast was budget class, in keeping with the price point of the hotel....basically coffee, pastries, bagels, and juice were set out each morning. Nothing fancy.

The staff were all very pleasant. It is easy to get to, being right off the GSP and close to Liberty Airport.

There are a couple of restaurants up the street, some very good, some not so much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Donald_K_12333
North Ferriby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel has a complimentary shuttle from Newark Airport but make sure you book it in advance and agree a pick-up point. We went to the "hotel shuttle" pick-up and the minibus went to the terminal! The hotel is an average US travellers' hotel with a decent complimentary breakfast. The room met all of our needs. In the morning the shuttle was happy to drop us at the nearby railway station so that we could get the train into New York City.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Robert275
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,008 reviews

Been to The Kenilworth Hotel? Share your experiences!