“not the best, but reasonable price”

The Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenilworth
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Trying to find a hotel in the Union NJ area is tough when I only have the internet to go by. Last trip to the Union Travelodge was a nightmare..(review on tripadvisor). This time I opted for the Kenilworth Inn.

I was on a business/work trip, and when I travel alone, I am not looking for luxury...just adequate...especially since my company is pretty tight about expenses for the rank and file employees. The Kenilworth was fine in this regards, although I would not take my wife and family there on vacation...

The hotel shows it's age, but is not run down....just not sparkling and shiny. Some maintenance issues in the room, but nothing which negatively affected my stay. Even though the room was non-smoking, it apparently was at some point, or else the previous occupant disregarded...there was the smell of old smoke lingering. (not an issue for me...I am a smoker..but would certainly be an issue for a non-smoker).

The continental breakfast was budget class, in keeping with the price point of the hotel....basically coffee, pastries, bagels, and juice were set out each morning. Nothing fancy.

The staff were all very pleasant. It is easy to get to, being right off the GSP and close to Liberty Airport.

There are a couple of restaurants up the street, some very good, some not so much.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Donald_K_12333

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel has a complimentary shuttle from Newark Airport but make sure you book it in advance and agree a pick-up point. We went to the "hotel shuttle" pick-up and the minibus went to the terminal! The hotel is an average US travellers' hotel with a decent complimentary breakfast. The room met all of our needs. In the morning the shuttle was happy to drop us at the nearby railway station so that we could get the train into New York City.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Robert275
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We found the front desk manager, Bob, and the breakfast attendant to be our favorite parts of the stay. Our original room had a plumbing issue, but we were switched quickly to another room. Although it was perfectly fine, it could have used some updates. The hotel is in the midst of renovations, so we look forward to seeing what is there on our next visit. We were disappointed that we were unable to connect our iPad to the internet at all - even with the assistance of staff. They said it was an Apple issue - do hope it is resolved!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the updated rooms!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Tina56_8
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stay in this area often for business and would not stay anywhere else! I must admit I was a bit reluctant my first stay after reading some of the negative reviews but I am so glad I took a chance, and I have been staying here at least twice a month for years! It is like coming home, I can't wait to see my friends Lynne and Nicole at the desk, who are more than accomidating to my every need. They are renovating now so it will just get better as time goes on. My only problem is I spend about a half hour upon arrival chatting with the friendly staff, they make me feel welcome and important, but I am always late for my meetings! Just last week I was pleasantly surprised to find a new flat screen t.v. in the room. Now I look forward to seeing the upgrades being done every time I stay. There is no place like home but if you have to travel, the Kenilworth Inn is the next best thing. My personal thanks to Lynne and Nicole and also Anthony the manager who always has a smile and a nice word, you guys are the best, to me that means more than the carpet or wallpaper!! See you next week!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ld20
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Hotel pool was closed (half empty and dirty) and it was august so surely it should be open during this summer month.
The 'fitness center' was also dire. It was an old smoky room with 3 machines, 2 of which were faulty and the final one was really old fashioned and also barely worked.
The fire alarm was going off for 25 minutes throughout the evening, which was very annoying.
The wireless intenet did not work in my room.
Room was clean and of a good size. Airport shuttle is a good facility.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Sonali M, Owner at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

We’re very sorry our swimming pool was closed during your stay in August but we had an unexpected electrical problem that caused us to close the pool for a few weeks. Our fitness room is scheduled to be renovated and the machines fixed/changed. Also, as of August 2012 the hotel is now “Smoke Free”. We hope you give us a second chance to do a better job of making your next stay a much more Comfortable and Enjoyable Experience.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

When visiting North Jersey, we always stay at the Kenilwoth Inn. As opposed to the more glitzy, cold, larger chain hotels, we find the Kenilworth Inn charming and homey. More often than not, we are greeted by smiling faces, (Lynne, Sharon, et al) welcoming us back. The hotel's manager, Anthony Longano is terrific. He seems to have boundless energy and uses it to ensure we (and other guests) are having a wonderful stay, satisfied with the conditions of our room, making sure we are in need of nothing. Can't say I've ever stayed at another hotel where I actually know who the manager is. Everyone is most accomodating at the Kenilworth Inn. And that keeps us coming back. The hotel is very convenient to everything, especially Newark Airport. I find it cleaned well and cared for...to me more important than modernized. All the modern conveniences are available in any case.

When we had to evacuate South Jersey last year due to the approaching hurricane, we called the Kenilworth Inn. They again accomodated us on short notice. The hotel lost electricity for many hours as a result of the storm. Once again, the manager, Mr. Longano, did a great job under extreme conditions. He made sure we had light, food,and coffee! He kept us updated as to where and what was open and passable so as to facilitate our return home. He was doing the same for the remaining guests as well.

All in all, a great team, team leader, and hotel. I recommend this hotel to people looking for a good, reasonably priced, comfortable, and accomodating place to stay in North Jersey. Veedy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank veedy
Reviewed September 5, 2012

They were very friendly and we felt welcome. Things that didn't work or were broken (e.g. lights) were fixed immediately. We changed room once which was no problem at all. Room looked a bit run down, but renovations are still going on. So, one can see that something is being done. What's important is that the rooms are cleaned properly.There is a fridge and a coffee maker in each room. Complimentary breakfast is sufficient and good. Especially Lynne, at the reception desk, and her team are very friendly and helpful.
An affordable place located very conveniently with shops and restaurants in walking distance.
We will definitely stay there again whenever we will be in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Silvia Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford
Holiday Inn Clark - Newark
Grand Summit Hotel
Grand Summit Hotel
#1 of 1 in Summit
Holiday Inn Newark Airport

Been to The Kenilworth Hotel? Share your experiences!