“For me, it was just okay.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed August 31, 2007

I travel often to Jersey City for easy access into NYC where my father is being treated for cancer, so please note my review doesn't come from a tourist's frame of mind. I usually stay at the Holland Motor Lodge for about $80/night, which includes 70's decor, paisley polyester bedspeads and dark wood paneling, but is impeccably clean, friendly, and they offer free continental breakfast. This time my trip was more last-minute, and my old standby was booked solid and I was at a loss.

I went with the Doubletree over the covenient Marriot (which is situated right over the PATH station) simply because I earn better airline miles with Hilton and they were $10 cheaper than the Marriott. Total cost after taxes was $192/night, or more than double what I'm used to paying. Admittedly, this was Labor Day weekend so I'd bet rates were up a bit. I got a voucher for a free drink in the bar due to ongoing "renovations" although I didn't see anything resembling construction.

The front desk staff was very nice, but they didn't tell me that I had to put my room key in the elevator for it to work. Yes, there's a little plaque above the buttons but I'm conditioned to enter an elevator, press buttons, and have the darn thing go. Luckily a porter entered a little bit later and set me straight, or I could still be standing in the elevator on the ground floor.

The room was nice and big, with a branded Wolfgang Puck coffee and tea setup, plus a sink, fridge, and microwave. There are 2 chairs and a desk. A nice large window where if I leaned in and to the left and hooked my toe into the side of the dresser I could see water and the New York Skyline. Parking was an additional $15.00/day. Internet connection was an addtional $9.95 (!) which I was very surprised by, considering even Holday Inns offers free hi-speed these days. (I balked at the charge and just sat in the window, using some gracious local''s unsecured wireless.) No breakfast, no coffee/tea in the lobby, although you do get the Doubletree chocolate chip cookies when you check in.

I just don't feel I received good value for my money, but perhaps my expectations were too high. For more than twice the money of my normal stay, I wanted at least twice the experience. Perhaps it doesn't work that way. Two bulbs in the fancy bathroom lightbar were burned out, and one was broken and hanging down. There were stains on my chairs. The coffee and tea selections hadn't been refilled by housekeeping and I ended up with only decaf in the morning. The hotel was noisy and around 9-10pm there was an employee out back busting up pallets and boxes right under my window. Are these terrible crimes? No. But annoying and they addeed to my feelings of poor value. Please note I did not complain to the front desk, so they didn't get a chance to address my concerns.

All in all, it was an okay stay. Nothing to write home about. Decent size room if you're traveling with a family. Just not my cup of tea for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank Beth B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed August 28, 2007

My husband and and I and four of our children stayed here for three nights in July of 2007. It was comfortable, clean, quiet, a good value, and the staff was great! It was a quiet and economical alternative to staying in Manhattan. The PATH train to Lower Manhattan was only a block away. It is one block from the Hudson River, and the view is nice. We would stay here again, God willing.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank blessedin_louisiana
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Best reasons to stay here versus Manhattan:
1) Saved $1,000 staying in Jersey City versus a comparable Manhattan hotel. We were able to stay four nights versus three nights in Manhattan and still save $1,000.
2) One block from Path Train to Manhattan. Cost for train: $3.00 round trip per person.
3) One block from large mall.
4) Grocery store next to hotel
5) Refrigerator and microwave in room.
6) One block from restaurant 'Chili's'.
Issues with hotel:
Sofa room not separated by a door.
Needs new carpet in hallway.
Currently being refurbished.
Approximately only 26 rooms with full New York City skyline view.
Square footage of room on the small side for a family of five.
Overall, we were happy we stayed here. It will be a great buy after the refurbishing is done.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Despite wanting to spend a night in NYC with the other half we ended up falling fast asleep at 9pm - the bed was that comfortable. I don't think I've ever slept in a bed like it!

This hotel is nice and clean, the staff are friendly (and the complimentary chocolate chip cookie on arrival is a great touch!). The room was a little small for a suite, but was still a good size for a NY-metro area hotel.

The PATH train to take you into NYC is about a one minute walk from the hotel, and parking is ample (although be prepared to pay through the nose - it is right across the river from New York).

My only complaint is that the A/C was a little noisy, although this could be due to the excellent double-glazing of the windows. With the window closed you'd never know that you were in a city. The A/C certainly did not seem damaged, and was working great.

If you're looking for a cheaper way to see NYC, this hotel is the way to go. The Newport area of Jersey City is a good neighbourhood and we were perfectly happy walking around it at night. It's very modern, with many glass-fronted office buildings and conveniences.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank usa_traveller_2007
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My daughter, her 3 year old son and I stayed May 25th - 27th. We had a Junior Suite...had plenty of room for a 3 year old to play. We were give warm cookies when we checked in...they were delicious. They gave my grandson a backpack with activities in it. We chose this hotel after reading the trip advisor reviews and were not disappointed. Our trip was planned for New York without the NYC hotel prices. The PATH was only a couple blocks away. We did not drive into New York at all. Strictly used the PATH....very convenient....and what an experience. Being from the deep South, we had never used a subway. The room was very clean and nice. The sitting area had its own TV. The bed was wonderful...so comfortable. We enjoyed going across the street one night to sit on benches on the Hudson River looking at the skyline of New York. There was a policewoman on a bicycle there, so we felt safe. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Omi4us
Reviewed May 26, 2007

We stayed for a Fri/Sat stay. I got the hotel through a Priceline bid, but I would pay cash for a weekend rate just to get this hotel.
We had never been to NYC since we made our move back East. We finally
decided to give it a try. I didn't really want to spend a lot of money since we live so close. That is when I thought Jersey City would be a good option.

The hotel was a nice 3*. All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. My kids got a backpack filled with play
"goodies" that they got to keep. We had a room on the 11th floor. It
wasn't a direct view of the city, but you could still look out and see it. The beds were very comfy. It was nice to have the extra space
in the room.

My only complaint was how expensive the food and drinks were in the hotel restaurant. We had much better prices in the city at much better restaurants. Next time will bring our own snacks and drinks. There is a mini fridge in the room so we might as well put it to use!

I was really surprised at how nice the area around the hotel was. There are a number of restaurants in walking distance. There are a bunch of benches along the water. It's a nice spot to have a coffee and enjoy the view of the city.

What I really liked about the hotel was that it wasn't in the city. It was really nice after dealing with the crowds to come back to a more peaceful neighborhood. It was great having the PATH a couple of blocks away.

I would definitely come back and stay at the Double Tree or I would give the Courtyard a try (my kids really wanted a pool & it is right next to the PATH). They are both in a great area and you can't beat the weekend price. We found it a great deal for our family.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mirlow
Reviewed May 20, 2007

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MiamiGringo
#5 of 14 in Jersey City
W Hoboken
W Hoboken
#1 of 2 in Hoboken

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City? Share your experiences!