I travel often to Jersey City for easy access into NYC where my father is being treated for cancer, so please note my review doesn't come from a tourist's frame of mind. I usually stay at the Holland Motor Lodge for about $80/night, which includes 70's decor, paisley polyester bedspeads and dark wood paneling, but is impeccably clean, friendly, and they offer free continental breakfast. This time my trip was more last-minute, and my old standby was booked solid and I was at a loss.
I went with the Doubletree over the covenient Marriot (which is situated right over the PATH station) simply because I earn better airline miles with Hilton and they were $10 cheaper than the Marriott. Total cost after taxes was $192/night, or more than double what I'm used to paying. Admittedly, this was Labor Day weekend so I'd bet rates were up a bit. I got a voucher for a free drink in the bar due to ongoing "renovations" although I didn't see anything resembling construction.
The front desk staff was very nice, but they didn't tell me that I had to put my room key in the elevator for it to work. Yes, there's a little plaque above the buttons but I'm conditioned to enter an elevator, press buttons, and have the darn thing go. Luckily a porter entered a little bit later and set me straight, or I could still be standing in the elevator on the ground floor.
The room was nice and big, with a branded Wolfgang Puck coffee and tea setup, plus a sink, fridge, and microwave. There are 2 chairs and a desk. A nice large window where if I leaned in and to the left and hooked my toe into the side of the dresser I could see water and the New York Skyline. Parking was an additional $15.00/day. Internet connection was an addtional $9.95 (!) which I was very surprised by, considering even Holday Inns offers free hi-speed these days. (I balked at the charge and just sat in the window, using some gracious local''s unsecured wireless.) No breakfast, no coffee/tea in the lobby, although you do get the Doubletree chocolate chip cookies when you check in.
I just don't feel I received good value for my money, but perhaps my expectations were too high. For more than twice the money of my normal stay, I wanted at least twice the experience. Perhaps it doesn't work that way. Two bulbs in the fancy bathroom lightbar were burned out, and one was broken and hanging down. There were stains on my chairs. The coffee and tea selections hadn't been refilled by housekeeping and I ended up with only decaf in the morning. The hotel was noisy and around 9-10pm there was an employee out back busting up pallets and boxes right under my window. Are these terrible crimes? No. But annoying and they addeed to my feelings of poor value. Please note I did not complain to the front desk, so they didn't get a chance to address my concerns.
All in all, it was an okay stay. Nothing to write home about. Decent size room if you're traveling with a family. Just not my cup of tea for the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Doubletree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Jersey City is only ten miles and 20 minutes from (EWR) Newark Liberty International Airport. The hotel is just two blocks from the Pavonia/Newport PATH train station with easy access to Christopher Street in Greenwich Village, Tribeca and Soho in NYC. Take the PATH Train via Exchange Place one stop to the World Trade Center with easy access to New York Financial District and Wall Street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Hotel And Suites Jersey City
- Doubletree Jersey City
- Doubletree Hotel Jersey City