“Rude and Dirty”

Econo Lodge Jersey City
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was a late arrival, the older gentleman at the front desk was extremely rude and commented on my late arrival. I called early in the evening informing them that would not arrive until after midnight, regardless the way the spoke AT me was completely un-called for. The room had not been maintained well at all, the collected dust in corners and fixtures was ridiculous. Never again......I would feel much safer and more comfortable in my car - even in Jersey City

Room Tip: Go to the comfort inn suites in North Bergen......very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Kathlene M

Reviewed June 28, 2012

we stayed here for one night with a friend. all i can say is that this hotel needs a lot of cleaning.every section smells very bad.front desk person does not know what a good customer service is.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank raul h
Reviewed January 7, 2012

the guy in the front desk the rudest, nasty, un polite I was there on 1/7/2012 i will never come back they should close that place smells and no heat it was cold.

I will report this to consumers affairs.

stay away sleep in your car

Room Tip: no comments
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank jay e
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The guy at desk is the rudest, meanest, grumpiest unhelpful person I have met in a very long time.

The word dirty doesnt even begin to describe how nasty the place was. I was scared to sleep on the mattress. Lucky for me, I was tired after an entire day of sitting around in the airport (flight cancellations due to weather)

Dont go here. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank travelor2011
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed there only because on 10/29/11 Newark Airport canceled all domestic flights due to the unexpected snow, and all near-by hotels were booked. So I was recommended by http://www.hotels-rates.com/ over the phone from airport for this hotel since nothing else left. Yet, it ended with a big nightmare to me. Because:

1. Very unfriendly service. No matter what I asked, the front desk always answered "I don't know." Very bad manner. Besides, no elevator in this hotel, not convenient, when you had to carry heavy luggage to upstairs without help.

2. Room looks OK. But heard kids screaming from next door whole night. Hard to sleep in this condition.

3. They didn't clean the driveway that covered with snow over night. Thus, It was hard for me to walk though the slippery driveway with heavy luggage to the taxi waiting in the street, when I checked out next morning. No help at all !

4. I called back next day and asked if they found my left behind clothes in bathroom? Again, the front desk told me "I don't know". "Call back tomorrow, asking for housekeeping manger." So I did. But she said "Maybe one of the housekeeping ladies took it or throw out. That's out off our control !"

I will not go back there again for sure.

Room Tip: Stay away from this one.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank QualityLife100
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here due to power outages caused by the October 2011 storm. The hotel is in a pretty rough area - I looked at Yelp reviews of a nearby bar/restaurant which mentioned prostitutes and guys carrying knives.

I had a terrible night's sleep - first a man and a woman's voices next door were more than audible through the walls - when I went to front desk to complain (at 11pm) I was told they would be checking out soon, and indeed they did (checking out at 11pm? Hmmm. Wonder what that "couple" we're up to). Then at 3:15am some guys turned up and were shouting in reception, which woke me up. If you stay here, make sure you don't get a room on the same floor as reception, and bring ear plugs.

The room itself was what you'd expect at an Econolodge and for the price. Was surprised to see it had a CRT TV though - come on Econolodge, flat screen TVs are so cheap now it's time to upgrade.

The shower curtain didn't smell too good but the bathroom was clean.

The staff were fine but I was surprised the guy I spoke to couldnt tell me a SINGLE place to get a meal nearby (I later found a Wendy's and a Taco Bell up the road).

Free parking but the inability to make turns across Tonnele Ave is a pain.

Only stay here if you are on a tight budget, and expect to get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 1, 2011

This is the worst place 2 stay It smells like sum1 died in here n They buried them in the basement and like someone smoked a 1000 cigarettes in each room. This place is nasty there is no air con and there are big flies everywhere even tho there is netting on the windows. During my 2 night stay we changed rooms 3 times. I couldn't breathe in the first room bcuz it smelt so bad. The 2nd rooms toilet flooded at 2am in the mornin soaking half our bedroom floor and into the hallway. The 3rd room we moved to also smelled had cigarette burns in the duvet and hairs in the bed. When asked for new sheets we we given screwed up sheets and made to make the bed ourselves. On a good note they do serve breakfast if u dare eat it and it's real close to new York city about 15min n can get a bus 4 $2 into the city. Other than that I recommend u stay away from this place

• Stayed: September 2011