“Little Hideaway”

Madame Claude Bis
Ranked #32 of 596 Restaurants in Jersey City
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
New York
“Little Hideaway”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

We found Madame Claude when we were stopped for a red light. From the outside, it looks like a "hole in the wall with lights" situated on a corner property. When we entered, it was so small with wall to wall people, that my husband wanted to leave. We were seated at a tiny table (just like the small tables in Paris) between very interesting and friendly people. So glad we stayed! We enjoyed a cheese platter with bread, which I recommend. We noticed many of the diners ordered steak with frites, so my husband tried it - very good! I ordered the vegetable and goat cheese crepe (which comes with a salad) - also, very good. For dessert, I tried the chocolate mousse . The French chocolate is not as sweet as the American chocolate, so you may be disappointed if you are looking for something super sweet. I really liked it because it was exactly what I thought it would be like. My husband had a dessert crepe - great! Madame Claude is a BYOB. I loved the atmosphere, not at all fancy, but something that might be in The Village.

Jersey City NJ
“A Beautiful French Gem; a Neighborhood Jewel”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

A genuine neighborhood treasure with impeccable food, everything you could ever want from a locally owned restaurant; a temple dedicated to perfecting the craft of food service - a creative and inventive menu, an impassioned devotion to customer service and satisfaction, a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere, a charming and personable staff. We live in an era where waiters greet us with a script they memorized from a corporate manual. This place is the antidote to the chain restaurant mentality - a unique and soulful and thoughtful oasis for people who seek a memorable experience as much as a well-prepared plate of food. This type of restaurant is a fading art form, so go and enjoy and support a local business that helps give our neighborhood character and flavor.

NEW YORK, NY
“Lovely and perfect!!”
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Great food, healthy options and byob! The service is rarely off. The food is delicious. Nothing like it for miles. Been going for over 3 years. Live blocks away.

Jersey City, New Jersey
“A TERRIFIC find in downtown Jersey City”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Madame Claude's is a TERRIFIC restaurant which I've patronized since November,'05(living just a few blocks away). Warm, friendly service,and a casual, romantic ambience all serve to enhance the delicious and VERY REASONABLY priced menu. I manage a HUGE dinner with several appetizers(try the Chevre salad, the duck confit salad, the escargot and the pate assortment) along with the two gratins, topped off with a double expresso, ALL for MUCH LESS than $100.00(tax & gratuity included). BYOB is especially welcome so I can bring along my favorite Chateau Neuf du Pape or St.Emilion and not break the bank. A GREAT place to dine with friends, to relax and enjoy the(frequently local) art decorating the walls and feel the good vibes of some non-pretentious, friendly local folks. HIGHLY recommended!

nyc
“I am a Fan”
Reviewed April 8, 2009

A small local French place whose owners are actually French. They are super nice, and seem to make friends with everyone.

A few years ago I used to go drink wine there late at night, like a bistro/cafe in Paris. I have not done that since.

The food is very good, and very straight forward French. Steak frites, quiche, mussels, etc.

Plus it's BYO, and there's a liquor store about 15 yards away.

They used to have great local art on the walls.