“A real piece of Paris in Jersey City”
Review of Madame Claude Bis

Madame Claude Bis
Ranked #33 of 606 Restaurants in Jersey City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“A real piece of Paris in Jersey City”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

A unique restaurant. Very small, serving outstanding food in a real Paris bistro atmosphere. We visited the website before going and were alerted to bring our own wine. When we arrived, be were promptly seated and our wine bottle put into a cooling vase. We chose to share escargot for starters and were thrilled to find they were as good as served in Burgogne -- we've never had better. Real French bagette for dipping, also.

We chose the whole fish (one of the specials) and shared that also. (We are small eaters but had plenty of food here). The fish was outstanding as were the frites that accompanied it. We finished by sharing a creme brulee -- again perfectly done. Two wonderful cappuccinos completed this great meal.

The cost, incl tax but not tip was $61 -- and was better than some $100 dinners we've had.

Because the place is so small, reservations are a must.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank kidoncorner

Jacmel
“"The Breakfast is Still Great"”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This little French place was doomed to failure--4 or 5 places had lasted less than a year. It has now been there for about 8--pre-dates gentrification. Unfortunately success has made them a bit sloppy and the food is hit or miss. The duck used to be good (always) and now in can be so greasy that it is inedible--same for other things.

But the breakfast is simply great! The best scrambled eggs on a croissant (skip the ham and cheese on it) and great coffee. The toast with butter and confiture is fine too.

The place is also invariably pleasant--even when the food isn't.

I hope the kitchen gets more consistent. (I used to bring friends there for dinner--would like to be able to again.

• Visited May 2012
New Jersey
“Madame Claudes-a find in JC”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just back from Paris and although the food was good, I was comparing them to Madame Claudes--no lamb sausage crepes! Madames is a little treasure in JC.

• Visited March 2012
Jersey City, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst restaurant in JC.”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I had dinner May 16, 2012. Service was slow. Food is bad. Curry octopus is ruberry hard and very burnt leg of duck.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Amor D A
Nyc
“A Charm”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I've been coming to Madame Claudes since they opened for weekend breakfasts yet never had a dinner here.

I love the cozy quarters which very much makes me feel like I am in a small Parisian cafe. The entire menu is great. I prefer going in the summer when I can sit outside.

• Visited March 2012