“Walk away”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
California
“Walk away”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

When we walked into the office and ask what rooms were available. The Front desk staff offered most expensive rooms they had. When we refused to pay for a room that was overpriced, and started to walk away they suddenly had a more reasonable rate plus a nonsmoking room that they also didn't have available earlier. They also made a copy of my drivers license, that made me feel very uncomfortable. And when I questioned it she gave me a lame reason about the credit card. I never had to have my drivers license copied for using my credit card. When we got to the room the bed had long hairs left on the top sheets, floor doesn't seem to be well cleaned. Also not the most secure feeling while staying in the room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cornwall, New York
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Booked this room spur of the moment to get some shut eye because i had to be back to work in the city in 8 hours and didnt have time to go home. Looked for a room on my phone and this place was cheap and close to where I park at journal square. When i walked in i almost walked right out but was pressed for time. This is definitely the worst place I ever stayed! There was visible dust stuck to the walls and a giant brown stain across the ceiling in one part of the room. The toilet bowl seat was faliing off,there was no hairdryer,no coffee pot,the tv was 20 years old,the carpet stained and the room smelled. This place should be be bulldozed to the ground ! There are several other hotels on this road within 2 miles that have to be better.

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sharky888

Travelers are raving about these Jersey City hotels

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I have stayed in a lot of hotels / motels in the last 35 years, this has got to be the second worst!!! (see my review of the hotel in Kiev!!)
The motel is right on a very busy street. Honking and other car sounds ALL NIGHT!!! First shock is the lobby. Very dingy, unkept and bedraggeld.
The room hast got to be one of the smallest ever, very strange smell when entering it. The furniture ist early salvation army or worse. Loose cables hanging from the wall.
The "complementary breakfast" does not deserve the name. The "orange juice" is orange colored something, definitely not juice. Then there is the choice between corn flakes or fruit loops. If you don't like cereals, you are pretty much "up the creek". If you like sugar loaded factory pastry, there is a choice of 2 (two) different ones.
Silly things like bagels (or even bread!!) are not available. So you are right to assume that there is no butter, cream cheese or jam. (The manager was eating cold pizza slices at 7am, so he is obviously no gourmet!!)
What the totaly blotchy and spotted ironing board was doing in the room, is unclear. The iron looked ok, but I would put none of my cloth on that board!!!
Only plus: The shower worked pretty well, the water was hot. Except for the garbage left behind by the previous occupant, the bathroom was acceptable.

IN SHORT: AVOID THIS PLACE. Any review better than 1 star has got to be written by the management or family!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any at this place.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The location is a few minutes from the Holland Tunnel, but the roads are confusing (being unfamiliar with the area) and the traffic is heavy. Paid $94. The room was very small and didn't smell great. The room had not been cleaned from the last person. Instead of cleaning the room for us, a man came up with a basket of sheets, a couple thin, rough towels, 2 small packets of shampoo, and cheap soap. We made the bed ourselves. The pillows were a joke - three for a king size bed, very flat. Everything seemed so old and dirty. Old, small tv, very staticky on the stations that worked. Alarm clock didn't work, and we overslept, waking up 3 mins before checkout. Literally less than 10 mins later, as we're getting dressed, there is a hard pounding on the door, and then a man (the manager?) tries to barge in!! Fortunately the door was chain-locked, so it bounced back. I was shocked. I explained we were leaving, and would pay for another night if necessary. He jabbered at me angrily; I couldn't understand a word he was saying, and he finally left. It was scary and extremely rude. This place is dirty, unsafe, and gross. I would rather sleep in my car than check in here again.

• Stayed October 2011
Orefield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Reading the positive reviews now, I realize they are over a year old. Amazing, since this place was the WORST stay this year with over 50 nights of stays. Needed a place in Sold Out New York, and I should have just worked all night and not stayed! That Bad! Stained sheets, stained chairs, noisy floors above and below, thin walls, hair from prior guests. The walls were so thin I WISHED I had a noisy air conditioner. Sure close, but not that cheap. I would have had a better sleep at someones office floor! If you choose to stay here, good luck. Maybe try the YMCA.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I have to stay there for two nights and horrible lady on the front desk get mad without any reason during check in and that lady name Amy called 8 am in the morning and talked lot of **** and say you have to leave today at 11am.i have to stay or leave she don't need to remind us that we have to leave.i would rate it in negative if i can.never ever go back there and not recommended to any one.location is also so so and very weird and horrible experience.room was on ground floor.they don't even care when we complain about lady on front desk.manager was not ready to listen to anything.

Room Tip: "rooms on the south side are better"
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Our room was on the second floor just above the office. The outdoor hallway smelled strongly of urine. Inside the room the first thing we did was look for bugs. None. The room was small but adequate and clean. Our toilet ran, so we simply removed the lid off the back of the toilet and put it on the floor. The ball was too big for the toilet tank, so we just had to pull it back up when the bowl was full. My husband, who normally sleeps in the nude, kept his boxers on as the neighbourhood is a little sketchy; he was concerned about someone coming through the window in the night. Didn't happen. The breakfast is fine; cold cereal, bagels, toast, and the coffee is good enough. There is a Portugese restaurant called The Ringside just next door, food is excellent. Not the friendliest place, but we didn't go there to make friends. There is also a burger joint kitty corner to the hotel that is open 24 hours..very handy when coming home late from Manhatten. Transportation to Manhatten or Newark is simple; walk uphill 2 or 3 blocks and hop on the bus. When we go back, we wouldn't likely stay here again, but $70 and a 20 minute bus ride is much more appealing to us than a $170 hotel room in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor Front smelled like urine. Find one at the back.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple