“Good Location”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Isle of Arran
“Good Location”
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We stayed for one night in May as a base to go to NYC. For that purpose, the location was very good. The walk to the PATH train is under 10 min and easy to do. At night it didn't seem the best neighborhood, as I was with a group we were fine. The parking situation isn't great - almost as far a walk as to the PATH train and when you have bags to carry, it seems that much longer. We weren't in our rooms much as we spent our time in NYC. However, the size of the rooms was very good (family rooms had 2 bedrooms) and beds were comfortable. Decor was slightly shabby. The staff were helpful in directing us to various tourist locations. Breakfast was basic - mainly pastries and fruit and cereal on offer (self serve buffet). It certainly is not a luxury hotel but serves well as a basic place to stay to explore NYC.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank preshsteph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
NJ
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Let's see, where do I begin. I stayed at this hotel with my family
In March of 2007. It was for one night. I meant my husband with my kids about 6:00 p.m. When I talked to my husband, he asyed th hotel was o.k. So off we went, got there, went up to the room.
I wanted to turn around and go home. The room smell musty and not clean smell. The sheets looked clean, but the smell I didn't like. My kid were excited about staying in a hotel over night,
so I stucked it up for one night.
This hotel is not very clean because I bought home in my suitcases a friend you do not want in your home. This hotels has BED BUGS. I am now dealing with this in my own home.
If you don't know what they are, look on line. I have about 75 bites and now they are nasty scares on my legs and arms. Thank God they were in my bed room and not my kids. I am still dealing with these nasty bugs, I just had to throw away matteress
pest controll has been at my house three times.. This last time they found them in my matteress. Out the window went my king size materess. It is not cheap replacing your matteress.
This hotel is very old and needs lots of work. They should take
more pride in making sure that their guest don't go home with unwanted guest in there bags. BED BUGS suck , be very careful staying in this hotel. Please check the matteress and wood work for any sign . They come out at night, turn the lights off and look under your sheets or under box springs. Trust me you don't want these nasty bugs in you home. Some people won't know they have them for up to a year, I was luckly because I was very allergic to their bites. I just want my home back and my kids to have there bedrooms back to normal. Everything in your room is
bagged in plastic bags, pictures come off the walls, your dressers empty and everthings has be washed in th hottest water and dry at he hottest temperture. our cloth are still outside
in black plastic bags
PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF GETTING BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BEDBUGS7

Travelers are raving about these Jersey City hotels

Montreal
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Hotels seem to be very nice at fist...no parking so add 8 $ a day for parking...the first night something went trough the garbage and ate our what it could find...in the morning we found bones on the floor...we informed the staff...who was very rude and did not beleive us...even after the maid came to clean up the bones and the styrofoam clippings on the floor. No manager was available to heal...and no one was in charge...only one employee apologized for the situation...I will never stay at a ramada hotel again. as for other services the free breakfeat was horrible...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mouse or rats
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank fasincanada
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed July 6, 2007

First of all, I have to say the staff at this hotel was exceptional. From Ivette and others at the front desk, to the shuttle drivers, they were all extremely friendly and helpful. Even though they were very busy (it is a popular place, perhaps due to its convenient location and the fact that it is relatively inexpensive for the Manhattan area), they were always curteous and greeted us with genuine smiles. 4-star hotels that I have stayed in could take a lesson in customer service from this staff.

About the hotel itself: Great for people on a budget who want to explore Manhattan. Again, the hotel is relatively inexpensive, so the accomodations are typical of a budget hotel (but our room did have a minifridge and the room was surprisingly large). The hotel is located just a couple of blocks from Journal Square, where one can catch the PATH train to either the World Trade Center area (downtown NYC) or to mid-town near the Empire State building and Times Square. The train is $1.50 each way. Combine that with the fact that hotel offers a free shuttle service to/from Newark Airport, and one could easily be saving a couple hundred dollars or more in transportation and hotel costs during a long weekend in NYC. Overall, the room itself is nothing great, but everything else about this hotel is!

• Liked — staff and proximity to NYC
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abc4321
Wrightstown, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We stayed here for 5 nights in May. Although the building is old, the Ramada was clean, the rooms well-stocked with amenities (the bottled water was free, unlike many hotels!), and the bed was very comfortable. We had a fridge, microwave, and coffemaker in our room, a large closet, and the shower pressure was fine although the bathroom was small. The A/C worked well. Other members of our group had a 2 bedroom suite, but the A/C unit was in the larger room and the smaller room did not get much benefit from that.

The staff at the front desk were friendly but not efficient. The staff person in the breakfast room was friendly and very efficient; she kept the area clean and restocked the food and beverages continually. She helped make the start of each day a positive one. The breakfast (included in the cost of the room) included pancakes, French toast, waffles, bagels, English muffins, cereal and oatmeal, hard cooked eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, beverages, and some Indian foods that I tried but I don't know the names of them.

The hotel is convenient to the Journal Square train station and the walk from the hotel to the station (about 2-3 blocks) is safe. I also felt safe on the main streets in the neighborhood, but the side streets were a bit "iffy". We took the hotel shuttle to the Newark airport and it was very convenient.

The area near the Pavonia/Newport station is more upscale, and the hotel prices reflect that. The Ramada is very reasonably priced and a great value. I would stay here again!

• Liked — Convenience and value for the price
  • Disliked — Front desk staff not very competent/efficient
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Kamaha
traveler4136
Reviewed April 25, 2007

We always stay in jersey city when we visit NYC. Firstly I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND staying in Jersey City versus Manhattan (if the intention of your trip is to visit NYC).
We usually stay at the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. This time, in an effort to save $, we stayed at the Ramada Limited, which is about $50 cheaper per night than the Candlewood Suites. We stayed for two nights (weekend). Our intention of our trip was to visit NYC. We were traveling with friends, and we are in our mid-20's. Although we are VERY moderate people, and do not really care where we stay as long as it's clean and has a bed, we were a bit disappointed in the Ramada Limited.
There is no on-site parking. You have to park in a scary garage down the street, I believe it is monitored, but it is still down the road from the hotel, and I would not recommend anyone walking alone at night in this neighborhood. The parking is $8 per night.
The nighborhood where the hotel is situated has a very ghetto feeling. Again, would not recommend walking around alone or without the company of a male.
The rooms are similar to dorm rooms....at least ours was. We had a suite. It did not give off that "hotel feeling" at all. It is old and our room almost felt run down. They DO try to keep everything up to date- we had a plasma TV in the bedroom, but it looked ghetto because everything else was so old and worn.
The elevator reminded me of something you would see in a doll-house. The four of us could barely fit and if you are chlostrophobic or hate elevators DEFINATELY opt for the stairs....although stairways are not much better. They are narrow and remind me of the stairways in a convent or run-down school.
Also, the hallways in the hotel were so hot & stuffy it was almost unbearable. This could be due to the significant warmer weather we had that weekend.
The traffic was very loud at night (obviously Manhattan would be 100 times worse) but it seemed like all we heard all throughout the night was garbage trucks!
I will say this.....the staff was GREAT. We got lost in Jersey upon arrival and called the hotel probably 8 times trying to find the place. The guy at the front desk was BEYOND HELPFUL and never once seemed bothered with all of our calls.
We missed breakfast one morning by about a half hour and went down to get coffee and the cafe worker was cleaning up. When she saw us come in she pulled out donuts and muffins for us.
We appreciated that very much!
So, I wouldn't say it was a terrible stay, but next time I will stay at Candlewood Suites. They have free on-site parking and are right in the waterfront area, and the hotel is very new and modern.

• Liked — Location is close to PATH train into NYC, affordable for NYC-area
  • Disliked — Hotel felt run-down, parking off-site
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank traveler4136
Kiwi NZ
Reviewed February 12, 2007

I searched the net far and wide before finding the Ramada, read the reviews and chose it. We arrived at Newark after overnighting on the redeye from LA. The shuttle was right there and left almost immediately for the hotel. Check in not till pm but they put us straight into room. Room was great, separate bedroom for kids, microwave, kitchen bench, even a view (far off) of empire state building. Room was clean and staff very helpful. Less than 5min walk from PATH ($3 return to Ground zero or Madison Sq garden) and no worries about safety. Came back late at night with kids, no worries. Breakfast was great. Best and cheapest deal I could find so close to NYC. Again shuttle for airport was very prompt and left as soon as we got on it. Not in NYC but who cares for that price.

Stayed December 2006