“Very pleasant stay”
Review of Ramada Jersey City

Ramada Jersey City
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is in an older building, and like old buildings, it has its quirks as well as its charms. It's in the Journal Square area of Jersey City, which is a middle-class/working-class neighborhood with shops and services within walking distance of the hotel. There are lots of good Indian restaurants a block away, and a nice variety of restaurants are just one or two stops away on the Path train (at the Grove Street and Newport Stations). The train station is a short walk away, and I felt comfortable walking from it well into the evening. Late at night, you can take a cab from the station to the hotel - they're at the curb in front of the station.

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel - I was in town to visit my son, who lives nearby. The first night I was in a room directly above the outdoor smoking area, and the room smelled like smoke, so I asked to be moved to a better room. There weren't any other rooms available that night, but they moved me the next morning to a nicer room, and they handled the move in a courteous and professional manner. Both rooms were very clean, and the staff was consistently friendly, courteous and helpful. I felt very well taken care of.

I appreciated having a free shuttle to and from the airport, which saved me $50 cab fare each way.

I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a low-cost hotel option in Jersey City.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Unreliable Shuttle Service and Poor Response Concerning Room Requests

On February 12 my wife and I arrived at Newark Liberty International Airport weary after an 8 ½-hour flight from Europe. I had booked a room at the Jersey City Ramada 6 weeks prior to this trip requesting through Wyndham Rewards a room far away from the elevators and not facing the street. Using a courtesy telephone at the P4 station, I called Ramada to check when the next shuttle pickup would be arriving and was told it would be at P4 in 5 or 10 minutes. After 20 minutes there was still no Ramada shuttle so I called again and was told that it would be there any minute. During the next 50 minutes I called three more times about the shuttle only to hear the same story. We had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes before the shuttle arrived. After a 17- minute trip from the airport to the hotel, we checked in and went to our room only to discover that, contrary to my requests, we had been assigned a room facing the street and traffic and that the head of the bed had a common wall with the elevator shaft. Luckily we were able to change to another room further away from the elevators but still facing the street. All this unnecessary delay in getting to our room and the room requested long in advance was very unpleasant. The room itself was spacious although a bit dreary. There were no restaurants in the vicinity, but there was a vending machine with TV-dinners near the front desk, and the room had a microwave oven. The front desk clerk on duty when we arrived was polite and friendly. The morning front desk girl was just the opposite: grumpy and sullen. We couldn’t stay for breakfast as our shuttle was leaving at 6 a.m., but I did manage to grab a sack of donuts, which we enjoyed later at the Starbucks counter near our departure gate. I’ve never seen such a large variety of donuts at a hotel complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Making specific requests for a room through Wyndham Rewards doesn't seem to work to well. It may...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We been in this hotel for eight night, it was very good and staff were absolutely nice, friendly and help full. location wasn't very clean and nice but we didn't mined. Close to NY and WT C by PATH.
The breakfast was alright and simple,but free service to Newark airport and also free good WiFi was the good point.Clean and hot room, fridge and also tea maker in the room.Once again the staff were very very nice,polite and help full.Thank you very much and defiantly next time travel to NY we will go back there again. Adman's family from London,the UK

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family