“Good Hotel”

Ramada Jersey City
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed here for two nights with another couple and it was perfect for our needs. Staff was very courteous and helpful with directions and recommendations. The room was spacious (Oversized room with King and Dbl) and the Double bed was in it's own room so it was like a 2 BR. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. The Path train took longer than expected, it was about 45 mins - 1 hour to get to Times Square. The station was very hot which made the long wait for the train feel even longer ... For the money it was great and I would go back but I am hoping the next time we go to NYC I can afford to stay in the city for convenience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boston12345
RMoran, General Manager at Ramada Jersey City, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear valued guest,

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your compliments are valuable to us and I will pass along your comments to the staff. Once again, thank you and we look forward to servicing you in the near future.

Raquel Moran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stayed here in order to attend a music festival in NYC. The area around the hotel isn't the greatest, but I'm used to it having lived nearby before. There are two parking spots right in front of the hotel for unloading the car, then we took a quick left and went one block to a parking garage. We parked overnight and picked up the car the next morning around 11am, and we paid $12 which is not bad for the area.

Hotel reception was very friendly and provided a map when I asked about the location of the PATH train (it's about a block away, in the same direction as the parking garage).

The elevator is tiny and slow. The room was clean and spacious, and had a king-sized bed. The bathroom was clean with pretty good toiletries. The bathroom was small but again, seemed average for the area. We had a pretty large kitchen area and two closets.

Complimentary breakfast wasn't bad. There was cereal, pancakes, french toast, English muffins, etc. The hotel employees were constantly cleaning it up and refreshing the supplies. The breakfast area was sort of tucked away from the front desk, but we were directed to it easily. I didn't use the gym but saw it and it seemed to be a good size--not too small. I also passed by a little store near the lobby that sold food.

We walked a block away and found a diner, several fast food restaurants including McDonalds, and a couple of drug stores and retail stores like Payless.

Overall, not a bad area, and much cheaper than staying in NYC. I think if people aren't used to city sounds, they might think that it's loud outside (PATH that's a block away), but the noise didn't bother me. I did not see bugs of any kind. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank DaisyVacation
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Once again thank you and we hope to be of your service again in the near future.

london uk
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Fab suite 501, very spacious and amazing comfy queen bed, Visited daughter who lived in Newport - 2 stops on the PATH. She came to stay with me and slept on the pull out sofa. Good shuttle from EWR and goes on the hour to airpot. About 5 mins walk to Journal Square PATH. Area appeared a little iffy but no problems and really no different from SE London where I live!
Friendly, helpful staff

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank thisbe4
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass along your compliments to our staff. Once again thank you and we hope to be of service to you when visiting your daughter in the future.

Netherlands
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very near to train station that has direct and short connection with Ground Zero and other Manhattan vantage points. Therefore good and economic alternative for Manhattan hotels.

We stayed in a family room whcih was really a suite+ very roomy and two separate area´s for sleeping. Breakfast is complimentary and quite ok.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Adrie v
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on a recent business trip to NYC. I was there for a few days to visit clients in Manhatten. I wanted a hotel that was not too expensive (I am self employed), that was clean and near to the trains to Manhatten.

I booked the room from the hotel because I saw that there was a 20% discount if you booked for 3 nights. I chose the biggest room (King bed with desk, microwave, fridge) since I was offered a range of rooms at the same price.

I enjoyed my stay - for the price, it was a nice hotel, with a great air conditioner, clean and comfortable bed, and nice bathroom. While the hotel does not look posh, it has some little perks that make up for the lack of polish. The staff were also very nice and helpful.

PROS:
- Free airport shuttle to and from Newark (there are several Ramadas in the area. Make sure you get on the one for this particular hotel). Bus runs every hour on the hour
- Free amenities: the hotel provides guests with free toiletries. Apart from the usual shampoo and conditioner, the room has a facial soap bar, regular bar soap and a shower cap. You can also ask for shaving cream, lotion, toothpaste and more at the front desk.
- Convenient: Very near to the Journal Square train station, where you can catch a train to downtown or midtown Manhatten. The train ride is about 20min but you'll probably be waiting a few minutes for the train to arrive. Once in Manhatten you can take the NY subway.
- Free breakfast: my room came with free continental breakfast, although it wasn't really great (see below)
- Free internet: This was great! The hotel has free wifi as well as wired internet. The hotel will loan you a cable for a $10 deposit, refundable on return.
- Free local calls
- Complimentary storage facilities: The checkout time is noon, but you can store your bags in a secure room until you need them. They also have a little safety box for you to store your valuables at the front desk (if you need to store things after you checkout)

CONS:
- If you want a posh looking hotel in a swanky neighborhood, this is not the place for you. The area is ok, it's just not Manhatten.
- If you're a single female traveler like I was, the walk from the train station back to the hotel can be a bit quiet at night.
- The free breakfast was not really good. It's a 'continental breakfast' buffet of some pastries that look like they came from Dunkin Donuts, some waffles and toast, along with some cereal. It's very basic. There's a 24h McDonalds round the corner if you prefer a Big Breakfast though.
- The TV channels were a bit lacking, and had a rather eclectic mix of channels ( I watched some ancient Hindi movie one night for lack of anything better to watch)

Room Tip: Check to see what offers the hotel has on its own site
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank sygnin
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My husband, myself and our 18 year old daughter went on a 3 night first trip to NYC. We booked through Funjet and was an excellent price. I was a little worried about staying in Jersey City at this hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. It is an older hotel but very well maintained and very clean. I would give the front desk a 5 star rating. They were extremely helpful and friendly. We did have a problem with our air conditioner not cooling so they came to check it out. I could not believe it when they replaced the whole thing! We were very close to the Path line. We never felt unsafe in the area. It would have been nice to have stayed at a hotel with a bar to have a late night drink but with traveling with our daughter that was not a big issue on this trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jbyrd
Browns Summit, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We were spending 3 days in NYC and debating whether to pay for a NYC hotel or pay less on the outskirts. Pros and cons either way but we decided to save some money and stay in Jersey City. We loved this Ramada and it was about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a similar room in NYC with probably more room. We got a king size bed plus another separate room with a double. We were within a 5 minute walk of the PATH station at Jornal Square that took us to 33rd St. or World Trade Center. This was about a 20 minute train ride each way. A lot of what makes a hotel memorable is the service and this Ramada had great service! Front desk folks were very welcoming and helpful. My 10 year old wanted to check out comic book stores in NYC and one of the desk clerks took time to find and print out a list of his favorites and their addresses. The neighborhood is older and very ethnic. We liked it. We always felt safe and enjoyed the atmosphere. Good and reasonable food 2 blocks away at the VIP Diner. While it took time to ride the train in and out of the city everyday, it was definitely worth it to us and the money we saved. We went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and boarded from the New Jersey side, which was about 3 miles from us. Highly recommend this as our ferries were not even half full and all of the ones from the Manhattan side were packed. (We went on July 5th.) We were also a short train ride from Hoboken and Carlo's Bakery from Cake Boss. Get there at opening time if you want to buy something. We were there about 1.5 hours and we got there at 7:40am on a Thursday. Overall a great 3 day stay and we saw all that we wanted to so riding the trains didn't reduce our schedule. We highly recommend this hotel. Plenty of space, clean and great service and location for our needs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family