“A Shocking Surprise”

Boca Grande
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Newport Parkway
Transit: Boca Grande is one block north of the Newport Path station, and two blocks north of the Newport light rail station.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Theme: Dia de los muertos (Day of the dead) yet surprisingly not gloomy with the cheery colored walls and friendly staff. The staff were all "gringos" so I was worried about what the food would be like. There was definitely some magic happening in the kitchen- this ended up being some of the richest latin food I have ever had! Salsa- delish. Burritos- all huge and delish. If you like corn you have to get the "elotes callejeros"- the best $3 you will ever eat!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had a late lunch here on a Saturday afternoon, the place was pretty dead, and we sat outside and were the only ones there. Very nice waiter, very attentive. He knew the menu well and made good suggestions. We had fish tacos and the mexican burger and both were very good and fresh. The chipotle fries were excellent, real handcut fries, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Guacamole was very good as well. Overall a nice experience, and I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I haven't been here in a while, but when I have been in the past, I've found it to be rather loud. The food is okay but not so good that I would ignore the loudness and inability to actually converse with my husband over dinner.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The restaurant is in a very convenient spot in downtown Jersey City but that was the only highlight of the place. The place looks dated when walking in and it took a while for us to be seated even though the place was empty. Once we sat down, the menus felt sticky which was another bad sign. Then when the waitress came over to take our order, she was very nice but not knowledgeable at all about the menu. We ordered a margarita which was not only an incorrect flavor but the waitress spilled part of it on the way to the table. Then the main course was just OK. As a fitting end to the meal, when we signed the credit card bill, the pen was out of ink. The place needs a rehab across the board.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have been here 5 or 6 times this year when staying in the area for business. The first time I was a little confused by the atmosphere. Think Mexican with a grateful dead vibe. There are day of the dead pieces of art everywhere and they have a good selection of music pumped in (jam band, james brown, stevie wonder, etc). Anyway, they treat you to free chips with AMAZING salsa. This is the main reason I keep coming back. I also enjoy the fresh burgers (order well done, they have a tendency to be undercooked) and the fresh salads with jalepeno vinagrette dressing. The steak salad is also good. Nice cold hoegaarten on tap. This is a good choice for the area if you want to stay away from chain restaurants and like an eclectic scene. Did I mention how great the salsa is??