“Expected Better”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Jersey City
New Jersey
“Expected Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City for one night during a snowstorm to be close to work and able to get in the next morning. I guess maybe I expected too much but I was disappointed in this hotel.

One good thing is the complimentary parking for guests and the proximity to downtown Jersey City is a plus as well. But the hotel itself was on the "old" side for my taste. This property isn't really that old, but you wouldn't know it be the decor of the suites. The cabinets in the kitchen look like they're from the 1980's, the furnishings certainly weren't plush. For the most part things were clean, I just like a little more modern room. I didn't pay as I stayed with my girlfriend, so not sure about the rate, but I'm sure I would pay my own money to stay here. I'd rather stay at the Doubletree across the street or down the road at the Courtyard.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

Let's just say our trip down was not exactly smooth sailing. The transmission in my car broke down in nearby North Bergen. I had the bright idea to rent a U-Haul with an auto-tow trailer instead of calling some sleeze-ball Jersey tow truck driver and tow the car myself. This hotel has free gated parking and allowed me to take up several parking spaces with the U-Haul and my poor broken car free of charge. This hotel is conveniently located near the Lite Rail which made our final destination, Liberty State Park (All Points West Festival) a breeze.

Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Waynesville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

We stayed here 2 nights for a shopping/show trip to NYC. This Motel offers an excellent value compared to the places across the Hudson. The suites are decent sized and the secured free parking is a ++. It is within easy walking distance to both the Exch place and Pav/Newport PATH stations, which will then take you to midtown or the WTC. There is no restaurant, but it has a little store which has snacks and some food items to make in your room. Be aware of your bill though, this store is by the honor system and theres no guarantee that another guest won't put your room number down on their charge slip. A few problems occured during my stay. First, my TV was on the fritz and the staff told me I'd have to move to a handicapped room( the only one available) or wait til maint could look at it the next day. We opted to move. In the new room the floor hadn't been vacuumed. All in all though, this was a pleasant stay and still well worth the price we paid.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

All rooms have kitchen as well as usual ammenities - well looked after.
Short walk or tram ride to Path network - one stop to World Trade Centre Stop.
Jersey City is a greay cheaper alternatiuve for staying and shopping - yet so easy to get to Manhatten.A good place to stay if you are flying in/out of Newark also - easy train connection.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank MR.23
Pasuruan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

I stayed at Candlewood suites for 10 days. I like this hotel very much. I could see Hudson River and Manhattan from my window. Beautiful.
5 minutes walk to Light Rail Stop and 5- 10 minutes walk to Exchange Subway.We went to Manhattan every day. Cost $ 1,75 / trip.
The hotel doesn't serve break fast. The room has facility to cook , microwave and dish washing machine. There is a hotel shop selling food with a good prize.Clean.
The room is cleaned every week. I am going to go there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

This Candlewood Suites offers the basics of a hotel stay, but the location was very convenient for a family of 4 to travel by PATH train into New York City. The hotel staff was helpful and always willing to make suggestions. The pantry on the property offered soft drinks and other items at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
St. Louis Mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

We came to this hotel as part of a block for a wedding party. I had to get two rooms, because my mother, daughter and I couldn't stay in the same room. The rooms only had ONE queen bed. My niece had to put her toddler on the floor, because this hotel had no cribs or rollaway beds.

When we checked in, they did not have two rooms under my name even thought I had made the reservations months in advance. I got a blank stare and "sorry but it is not in the computer" My mother ended up having to stay somewhere else!

When we got up the next morning and had to find breakfast, they did not have maps or concierge. We were pointed to go down the street, "there are plaza buildings and there are alot of stores and restaurants there" We went down the street with a two year old and a teenager, and NO there were no stores and the one coffee shop we found was closed on the weekends. We ended up having to take the light rail just to find breakfast.

When we asked for an extra blanket, the desk clerk said they didn't have any. Just what is in the room. I insisted and was handed a stack of sheets.

The airconditioning unit in our room leaked onto the floor and the room was smelling moldy. One of the other people in our group had water from the shower wall leak into the closet and their luggage got all wet.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Look for something on the NJ side that offers two beds in a room and breakfast on site!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family