“Hit or miss - second time staying” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Jersey City

Candlewood Suites Jersey City
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Jersey City
Markham
“Hit or miss - second time staying”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend from May 31 to June 2, not a very pleasant experience.

A little back story, I stayed here on new year's eve in 2011 for 3 nights, the experience was not too bad, and we noticed the common area in the hotel has a very strong odour (personally it smells a lot like curry), but the room that we stayed in (in December 2011) was consider clean and odour free.

So this time when I decided to go back, with the expectation of a somewhat similar experience, we were quite disappointed.

We reserved 2 rooms in the hotel (my sister's family, and mine), both were located on the third floor. The moment we stepped out of the elevator on the third floor, it was extremely warm (completely different from the lobby's temperature), and the nightmare begins when we open the door to my room.

As soon as we open the door to our room, we were welcomed by a gust of same odour (the curry smell), and the whole room smells like that, even the bed sheets. My wife decided to open the windows and max out the air conditioning as an effort to eliminate the smell, but we weren't successful. To make matter worst, the washroom is unclean, and there were dirt/removable stain in the bathtub.

We went downstairs (both nights) to request a room change, only was told that the hotel was fully booked that night (i didn't verify, however the parking lot of at least half empty, i would expect the parking to be at least half full in an hotel with 5 stories), the made a note the first night, however the second night was "full" as well.

We had to cover our nose for most of the night with some clean laundry, therefore my wife and I couldn't really get much rest for these two nights; looking back, it might've been better if we cancelled the second night reservation and stayed in a different hotel.

Why hit or miss? My sister's room was not as stinky as ours, however, their air conditioning didn't work, and was told that that's the lowest temperature it could go (funny thing is the a/c in my room is extremely cold)

And i just realized they start charging for their parking (this is not a complaint, more like a FYI, i just didn't read the fine prints as this policy was effective in january 2013), however I personally think that this was a good incentive to stay in this hotel, and parking in, say westin, nearby is a bit more.

In conclusion, I probably won't stay here again as you don't know what type of rooms you are going to end up staying in, and i think there are better deals in this area for 15 or 20 dollars more per night.

Room Tip: Not sure how you can choose a good room, but since my bad experience is on the third, try to avoid t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gng1412
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear cng27,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Lets start with the good bit...the price at about $230 nightly was reasonable.The room,bath and living area were okay, but the sheer lack of courtesy and decency shown by the front desk was disgusting. As a platinum member of PRIORITYCLUB, I was horrified when I was advised i was going to be charged half a day's rate for a checkout for even a minute past two pm ...Checkout was supposed to be twelve midday! And this on a Friday afternoon with the hotel facing a quiet weekend! I had a broken shoulder and ribs from a ten-day-previous riding accident so was in no position to assert myself physically with the smooth-talking front desk manager either, he deserved more than my quiet acceptance of his lousy terms! And this after staying three nights without a single courtesy afforded to me for my membership status! NO cleaning service, no fresh towels or soap, no refill of coffee sachets, no person at the front desk much of the time! This is quite sincerely the WORST hotel I have ever lived at, the management attitude ensured that! A blot on the otherwise good name of IHG hotels!! I have reviewed tons of hotels on TRIPADVISOR without ever giving a terrible rating,( or even a poor!) this is a sad first for me!

5 Thank gammo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear gammo,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Jersey City.

Orlando A.
Minsk, Belarus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Ordinary hotel with almost nothing to remember, good point is to have studios with kitchen, but it's all positive about it. The rest is pretty ordinary staff. In some rooms there is a great view on Manhattan, but that's all good about it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Oleg O,

I appreciate your feedback about our property. I am pleased that you found the kitchen in our rooms to be good for your needs. We take all feedback seriously, and your additional comments will be used to further enhance on what we can offer.

Again, many thanks for the review and we hope you give us a chance in the future to host you again.

Regards,

Pam G
St louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stay at this hotel at least once a year. I like the convenience of being able to park the car and walk half a mile to the PATH station and be in Manhattan in 10-20 minutes. Takes some of the hassle of city traffic and parking off. Rooms are always clean and staff is courteous.
The only thing is that they started charging $10 a day for parking but it is still a steal compared to what you have to pay in the city to park.

3 Thank ayat99
København
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three days in May, and we where very satisfied with the hotel.

The rooms are big, and it is not a problem to stay 3 people in the room. There is a small kitchen and a refrigerator, which is very nice as well.

The rooms where clean and the reception was helpfull if we had questions.

The only thing people should be aware, is that it is very diffecult to get a taxi from New York to New Jersey. Some of the Taxi we asked, where not willing to go over the bridge. Therefore I suggest that you land in Newark in stead of LaGuardia as we did.

1 Thank Louise24Koebenhavn
Sitges, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I'm not sure I want to share this hotel with anyone else because it may become too popular and make getting a room difficult!
Anyway I stayed twice, once for two weeks and then a second time for a weekend. On both occasions I found it a perfectly good hotel. Large rooms, well maintained, good internet service.
Staff all pleasant and helpful and the cupboard for snacks and drinks very useful. It's location is excellent. 5 minute walk to the train to NYC, the journey takes 5 minutes and leaves you at the WTC.
During the day there are a lot of places to eat, as the area services the business community in and around the riverside business district. A bit sparcer at night, but still adequate with a Chillis around the corner and a great Irish bar 7 minutes walk away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MarkoBomyer
Lindon, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites Jersey City for an extended stay of 8 days! The service was great and the folks at the front desk did a great job of taking care of whatever need I had. The property is within walking distance to the PATH for very easy access to NY!

The suite was very nice and had a feel of not just a room but an apartment!

This was a great value!

The property was also very secure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family