“Great Stay, Courteous Staff”

Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, and we were very pleased. The hotel was very nice and clean, and the room was very spacious. The staff was very friendly, and the food from the cafe was fantastic. It's also within walking distance of Target and a shopping mall so that was a HUGE plus.We would definitely stay here again when in the area!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Smith Family,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our convenient location to the Newport Mall, local restaurants and New York City.
Please do visit us again on your next trip. Let us know if we can be of any assistance.
General Manager.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Love Marriot courtyards. This one is very convenient,staff friendly and rooms spacious,clean and well equipped. However we had two bad experiences with the bistro. First was asking for three glasses of wine.attendant had to call for someone at front desk. She then couldn't find the Sauvignon blanc because she didn't know it was white and in the cooler. Then proceeded to joke with attendant instead of serving our wine. No rush took 20 minutes from start to finish. Breakfast was worst! Just wanted to have coffee and wait for my wife to join me for breakfast. No free coffee but I had to order breakfast with me voucher. Just give me the coffee so I can wait. Voucher includes only medium coffee. Unheard of in the Marrioutt chain!
Otherwise I would return,but not to this Bistro!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear Robert B,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay here with. Please accept my sincere apology that we did not meet your expectations in our Bistro. I have shared your review with our Bistro management & staff so that improvements can be made immediately. We do offer complimentary coffee in all our rooms but not in our Bistro. Our coupon voucher that is included with the breakfast package does mention mid-size coffee but we do upgrade to a bigger size on request at no additional charge.
We appreciate your business and again thank you for your candid feedback. Please visit is again on your next trip to our area.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

January 2014 marks the fourth time I've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City. Top three reasons I like this hotel: Always a better bargain and more affordable room rates than any hotel in Manhattan. Bigger rooms. No bedbugs (If you want the lowdown on these critters, check out the Bedbug Registry online and look up Manhattan hotels. You'll shudder at the reports.) Also, the hotel is peaceful and quiet and the rooms are nicely decorated. The hotel is maybe 80 steps from the Newport PATH station, and the trains go to WTC and 33rd St., connecting with the subway. For serene surroundings in which to recharge for the next busy day, this hotel has more than fit the bill for me.

Room Tip: The rooms on the Hudson River side have the view, but the rooms facing away from the river are bigge...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Violethush

Dear Violet Rush,
Thank you for posting your comments on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate your candid feedback and love that you're a loyal returning guest. So glad you have enjoyed our hotel rooms, location and local attractions especially the convenience to the Path (train) to New York City.
We certainly appreciate your business.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed while on business in NJ and NYC, and the location can't be beat. It's in the waterfront area of Jersey City, with a handful of restaurants in walking distance. Plus, it's next door to the PATH train, for an inexpensive, quick trip to NYC. The hotel was clean, quite and comfortable, and the front desk staff was helpful. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We are fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and so happy you had a great experience here with us.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last week and had a good experience. I was upgraded to a very nice King Suite due to my Platinum Marriott status (not all hotels do this even though they are supposed to if the rooms are available). Staff was friendly and helpful. The views on the backside of the hotel face Manhattan, with some minor blockage from other nearby buildings. I suggest you request a higher floor to take advantage of the sight lines. The neighborhood around the hotel is pretty quiet, the only congestion comes from the nearby PATH train that takes commuters to New York City.

The only negative thing that happened during the stay was some plumbing problems on my final morning there. Some black stuff came up out of the drain and wouldn't unclog itself (I skipped that shower). I notified the front desk; they apologized and stated that they would credit me with extra MR points - however, they didn't follow through with that.

Overall, I would stay here again and I would recommend it to other business travels with work in Jersey City.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bretts11

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your stay with us here at the Jersey City Courtyard by Marriott. So glad that we were able to upgrade you to a suite and that the staff met your expectations.
We apologized for the inconvenience with the plumbing in the room. We will review with our housekeeping staff to make sure they are more attentive in the future.
Please give me a call if your points promised have not been posted to your account so that I can personally input them.
We value your business and hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed at the Courtyard Jersey in September when my husband and I went to visit NYC for a long weekend. Hotel is clean. Rooms are decent. Did not like houskeeping walking in on us early in the morning! We did not hear them knock- opened the door and started to walk in until we yelled out.
It was barely 8am! Also did not think staff at front desk was very friendly. They were courteous, but rather dry, and didn't really believe us when we told them about the incident. Girl at the breakfast counter was courteous with us but I thought rude to another customer who didn't speak english too well. She repeated in a loud and condescending way to the man.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback with us. We deeply regret the experience you had with our staff and offer our sincere apology.
After receiving your review, we had a meeting with our Housekeeping and Restaurant staff and have shared your comments; we will make sure we do not inconvenience future guests.
We value your business and hope you will come and visit us again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Next to the Path Station and opposite a Cosi! For a schoolgirl visiting New York this was perfect!!! There was easy access to Manhattan and the hotel itself was very good. Medium sized room with everything one needed with a good bathroom. Friendly staff and good housekeeping.
A very nice location...right opposite a large mall and bang next to the Path station to Manhattan.
Could not ask for more!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review on January 14th. So glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us and took advantage of our location to visit New York City and also our local attractions.
Please do visit us again if your traveling’s brings you back to our area.