“Perfect Choice”

Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed July 28, 2008

It was our first time visiting NYC and after doing some research we knew we wanted to actually stay in New Jersey to be able to see the city skyline at night, this hotel was perfect! Much less expensive than any quality hotel in NYC. Newport Centre Mall was directly across the street. PATH train station is right beside of hotel,very nice after spending the day in the city walking around. Hotel was quiet, clean, and employees helpful. It is located in a very nice condo residental area, next to a marina, and had a nice walking path along the Hudson river with benches. We will definately be staying here again on our next trip to NYC, the only issue we had was that the pool and hot tub was closed for refurbishing, but was opening a couple days after we left.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Lmlred

Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed here for 4 days with the family (2 kids) to do some sightseeing in Manhattan. The location of this hotel is excellent, it has a Path (metro) station next door, a target supermarket nearby, a mall across the street (behind the Newport building), a boulevard along the waterfront (with a nice view of Manhattan) and a starbucks within a block, Also you have a bunch of restaurants in the neighborhood for breakfast/lunch or diner alternatives. The staff was friendly and helpful (they helped us get transport from JFK to the hotel) and the hotel rooms are up to standard of a Courtyard Marriott. We requested a baby crib and it was ready when we got there. The Path subway will take you to Manhattan in about 15 minutes and if you buy a metro card in jersey city it will also work in the Manhattan subway. This hotel is really ideal if you want to go to New york but you don't want to pay the high prices for hotels on the island. If you ask me this hotel qualifies for a hidden gem award because of the price, location.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Dutchman02
Reviewed July 13, 2008

My wife and three children and I spent three nights at the Courtyard Jersey City. We had a great time. The hotel is within steps of the PATH train. This train will take you to either ground zero or to Madison Square Garden. It is very convenient. I chose this hotel because I wanted to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city each night. We would wake up and within 20 minutes we were in the city. We felt very safe. The hotel rooms are standard. Upon check in we asked for a microwave, refrigerator and pull out bed. All three were granted with smiles on the faces of the employees. The pool was clean and large enough. Across the street from the hotel is a large mall. We ate at the mall each night. The only downside to this hotel was that breakfast was not included with the stay. Overall we loved our experience. My children wanted to spend time at the front desk because the emplyees were so nice. Each night we would walk to the waterfront which was only a hundred yards from the hotel. We enjoyed the sun setting on the city of New York. We also were able to walk to the train next to the mall and take it to the Statue of Liberty. Make sure that you take the bus from the train station to the waterfront. There are little to no waits on the boat to the statue if you leave from New Jersey. THe hotel has two computers to check the internet with as well. Great Experience

3  Thank dskaggss
Reviewed July 12, 2008

My family of 4 stayed at Courtyard Jersey City early June 2008. I have stayed in Manhattan on my previous trips to NYC but decided to try this one since I was using Marriott points and this hotel was only category 3 versus the ones in Manhattan that were category 7.
The location is not as convenient as hotels in Midtown but for the price I would definitely stay here again. The PATH station is next door which takes you to Midtown and World Trade center. To my disappointment the PATH stations in Manhattan are little walk away from Metro stations. Please learn your maps because the first few times we had a difficult time finding the PATH stations after getting off the Metro.
The rooms are large and clean. We had a problem with our first room but the problem was quickly resolved and they gave us a new room. The staff was friendly, especially the manager, I wish I could remember her name, the lady who also spoke French. She was exceptional.
The area is nice and we always felt safe. The PATH train is also safe despite what New Yorkers say about it. The mall and sandwich shop across the street are also very nice. We even took a 10min walk to Target down the street late at night and never felt unsafe.
I will stay at this hotel again. Like I said it is a good alternative to expensive Manhattan hotels but it is further. It's not around the corner where you can go rest in the middle of the day from sightseeing NYC and then go back.But it is a nice, clean place to sleep after spending all day in Manhattan.

1  Thank enma
Reviewed July 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed here on the last leg of our honeymoon. Overall very pleased. It's nestled right next to the PATH subway leading into New York, and immediately across the street a multi-level mall that my wife and I enjoyed walking immensely.

Jersey City is a great place to stay outside of Manhattan... we were seconds away from excellent views of the skyline and felt very safe walking the streets. The hotel service likewise was excellent. We had a small issue with our initial room, and they immediately bumped us up to a better room and gave us complimentary breakfast (which was excellent). The staff was kind and gracious... very willing to answer multiple questions from a Midwest tourist like myself. :-)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vizzies
Reviewed June 11, 2008

I've traveled to Manhattan several times for family vacations. Instead of fighting to find a decent hotel in the city that doesn't break my wallet, I decided to try this hotel in New Jersey. It was an excellent experience. The staff are superb. Very friendly. Very conscientious. The rooms are clean and big (compared to Manhattan!). Access to the city was convenient by bus right outside of the hotel. If you're looking for a great combination of value and comfort, this is your hotel!

1  Thank PBProf
Reviewed June 8, 2008

The Courtyard Jersey City is a great alternative to staying in Manhattan. The rooms are what you expect and the staff is great. The PATH train is next door to the hotel, you can be in the city in ten minutes. My wife, 12 year old son and myself stayed here in early June for 8 nights on a couple of occasions we got back to the hotel after midnight and still felt safe. I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2008