“Great Spot Despite Post-Sandy Atmosphere”

Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Got off the ferry from Downtown and as I walked to the property, I saw so many businesses that had been flooded from the hurricane and had up to 4' of drywall cut out because of water damage, it was sad to see. But after a couple blocks I reached the property and was welcomed with a smile (and a room upgrade)! I asked about if they had any damage and they mentioned a couple inches of water, but they were very lucky. The only amenity not available (which I didn't have time to use anyway) was the indoor pool (which did look very nice!). Property is modern, clean, up to date. Showers have great water pressure. My only down side was the bed. I am used to very soft beds at most Marriott properties, but the bed in my room, although it seemed pretty new upon inspection, was very firm and not all that comfortable. Other than that, it is a great spot! Very Friendly!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank disneydad331

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night when some friends decided to drive to New York to see a Broadway show. We did not want to be driving in the city, and also did not want the expense of staying in the city. This hotel is perfect for those short trips (I think taking the PATH train in every day and night would get old if staying for more than a long weekend). The PATH train station was literally right next door and takes you to multiple stops, all the way up to 33rd (a couple of blocks from Broadway-in the Macy's area). Rooms were clean and appropriate. No problems with staff. You do have to pay for valet parking. I would recommend calling down from your room before checkout, as it takes them about 10-15 minutes to bring around your car once requested (more if it is busier).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank RahRah44
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel is just next to the Path and easy getting to NYC. The room itself is good, clean and comfortable. There is a Cosi opposites to the hotel, it's convenient for peopel who are tired of hotel's breakfast or have no complimentary one in the package to get some food.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HJShih
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We are a long time loyal Marriott customers and were shocked by the behavior we witnessed at your Newport Jersey City, NJ Courtyard by John Rojan (General Manager). My wife and I are Hoboken residents and were deeply affected by Hurricane Sandy. On Wednesday morning, desperate for a hot meal, a cup of coffee and internet access we walked the 3 miles from our house to Jersey City. Most businesses were closed due to flooding but we were relieved when we discovered the Courtyard not only had power, but also a Starbucks café and internet access. We purchased our first hot meal in a couple of days. There were 10 people in the lobby that had done the same. After the Marriott collected our money, the manager informed everybody that we had to take our food and coffee and leave immediately. With no chance to send a message to our family, my wife and I walked out in disbelief. Shame on you Marriott!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Hoboken08
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

We are sorry you were inconvenienced during the aftermath of the storm. While we did have full power, we were doing our best to accommodate both hotel guests and non-guests who are residents of the community, and who were coming into the hotel in a steady stream for relief, including the usage of power to charge phones and computers. We had also experienced some flooding in the lobby and for safety, at the outset of the storm, could not allow individuals to remain in the wet lobby indefinitely. One of our highest priorities is the safety of our guests and associates. In these unusual circumstances, we were trying to serve as many individuals as possible and we thank you for your understanding.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Reading other reviews makes you wonder what people are expecting from their hotel. Rate the hotel 3 because their cereal was cold are you kidding. Go to NYC and pay what you pay at this hotel and see what you get. The location is excellent the price is 1/2 of what you would pay on the other side of the hudson. You can be in the heart of NYC in 16 minutes yet you can walk around this hotel at 2am with nothing to fear. The rooms are excellent. The staff is excellent. They are always friendly and will do what they need to make you happy. Anyone wanting to see NYC and yet want to be able to afford to see NYC should be staying here at the courtyard by marriott jersey city.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Geogh3
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel dozens of times while visiting family. I'm sorry to say that it is slipping. The proximity to PATH (and NYC) and the sometimes excellent rates are still good reasons to stay here. However, the friendly and excellent customer service are long gone. I'll give two examples that may seem trivial, but these things would never have happened in years past.

Unbeknownst to me, a marathon took place during my last stay. The VERY early race start with blaring horns and loud speakers took place right under my window. When checking out, I asked why we weren't told about the event and given the option of a rear-facing room. The desk staff said that they didn't know about the event. It's hard to believe, given the thousands of race participants. But more to the point, I am 100 percent certain that just a couple of years ago the hotel would have been completely tuned into what was happening in the area and ready to accommodate participants and non-participants alike.

Second, I ordered some hot cereal for breakfast. When the cereal was served ice cold, I asked for it to be warmed up. I was told that they could not do that because they had no microwave. I was invited to warm up my own breakfast using the microwave in the "Market" kiosk. That microwave was absolutely filthy and disgusting, so I asked for my money back. Lo and behold, the staff realized that they could indeed heat my breakfast.

These two incidents would seem totally trivial in other circumstances. I offer them here as two examples of slip-shod service. Marriott, you can do better.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DadaCabaret
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Good value, handy to PATH and mall across the road. Not much in house dining options, more of a coffee stand then anything else and no room service. Dated rooms but they're ok and walls seem to keep out the neighbors. Free wi Fi = cool. Having to go back through their terms and conditions every hour or so is very frustrating. Staff were great, very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012