“Beautiful river view!”
Review of Michael Anthony's - CLOSED

Michael Anthony's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: Pavonia/Newport Light Rail & Path Station.
Description: Michael Anthony's, a waterfront restaurant specializing in fine Italian dining, events and catering.
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My company had there Christmas party there and it was amazing. Breath taking views of the Hudson and NYC in lights. Food tasty and drinks done well. Not easy to find with GPS so beware. You may be circling a couple of times.

1  Thank Kayskatering

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our party of 3 went to this restaurant Saturday night - with no reservation - expecting something quite different. We will not be back. First off, when one approaches the lovely exterior of Michael Anthony's, you're surrounded by beautiful yachts. The restaurant is at the end of a short pier and anticipation builds for a special evening, one that COULD be a very romantic setting for a couple. When we entered, at the peak of a Saturday night dining hour, we walked into a very dark restaurant with many staff desperate for something to do because the main dining area was EMPTY. We were immediately escorted to the back room and a table next to the window that was along the water. There was one other party sitting at the table next to us. The seats are prime "real estate." The view there is breathtaking. But that's where it ends. Loud rock music BLARING. And there is a bar that fills up half of this waterfront space. Our table backed up to the bar, and TV screens. There are very few dining tables near the water. The space is totally dominated by and ruined by the bar's presence. We all expected that this place would be kind of classy because of the amazing setting. But, no. People at the bar in jeans and sweatshirts - kind of like what you'd expect at a clam bar. My party was looking forward to some great conversation over drinks and a nice meal. We could barely hear ourselves. Our waiter was very attentive to us (the poor guy no doubt can't make a living working here with so few customers) but every time he asked me a question I had to ask him to repeat it because it was so loud. We all got a green salad as our appetizer and it was very good. But the main entrees were mediocre, at best. When I go out to eat I expect something better than what I can prepare at home. The real insult was that there was an individual in our party who picked up the tab and I was embarassed that he paid $150 plus tip for what really was a very mediocre meal in a setting that was truly a "disconnect" from what we expected and collectively thought was ill-conceived. There's no reason why a restaurant with a view like this shouldn't be PACKED on a Saturday night and have a waiting list. This would be a beautiful setting for a nice elegant, QUIET, seafood restaurant. Whoever owns Michael Anthony's needs to seriously step back and rethink this place because he's missed the mark.

2  Thank Lilacs52
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The location is spectacular, the view is unmatched. The food was good, the service was lacking. Restaurant seemed understaffed for the evening.

2  Thank drkjdr
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Co-workers met in the bar for apps and drinks after work. Attentive staff, OK appetizer selection came out quickly, very good skyline views with open air seating in wharf area of JC. One of us mentioned attending a wedding reception and said it was excellent, also had a work Xmas party here, also very good. Can't comment the dinners but if you sit in the bar area near the glass walls you'll enjoy yourself.

2  Thank FaSnizel
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been to this establishment on several occasions and have usually had a good experience. But my last visit will most likely be my last. We were greeted at the reception area in an almost cold and unwelcoming manner, almost like it was an inconvenience to the woman that we were even there. Our server must have had a rough Labor Day weekend because it seemed that the last place he wanted to be on a Wed nite was here. The original order was wrong because he forgot one of the seven meals in our party. Could have been a disaster. Having to asked for refills on water and bread seemed annoying to him. After polling those in our party, the consensus was that the food was ok, nothing spectacular. However, the views of the city were most amazing on this gorgeous nite. Having dined here before, I can only ask ….. What happened??