“Stay Away! Terrible Experience and LAZY staff!”
Review of Michael Anthony's - CLOSED

Michael Anthony's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: Pavonia/Newport Light Rail & Path Station.
Description: Michael Anthony's, a waterfront restaurant specializing in fine Italian dining, events and catering.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

If I could rate it 0, I would!

My wife mentioned to both event planners that our son is getting married. The venue is too small for the wedding reception, but there is always the bridal shower and rehearsal dinner. But, as you can see from my review below, Michael Anthony's burned this bridge and I will never return.

Below is the letter that I sent to management:

I am writing on behalf of my wife to express our disappointment with the food and the service during her 60th Birthday Celebration yesterday, November 18th.

My 100 guests and I were certainly disappointed with the food. The pork and the chicken dishes were served room temperature even though they're supposed to be hot dishes. They were also tasteless, bland and definitely overcooked as they were both rubbery. Not to mention, when the food did run out (the pork loin was never replenished), it took very long to have anything replenished. I'm not sure if the wait staff notified the kitchen too late when the food was running low or if the kitchen was simply too slow. In addition, the food was served 20 minutes later than the scheduled 2:00. I was told that the food would be ready earlier than 2:00 because the guests expressed that they were hungry to your staff. Either way, the food, including the kids meals, were terrible and very delayed. I know all the kids were eating much later than the adults and they were only served because my daughter had to tell two different people to bring out the kids meal. She ended up waiting by the kitchen door until they were served.

We were also frustrated that the microphone wasn't working and that no one was able to fix this. Not only was no one able to fix this, we wonder why this wasn't checked before the event, so that if it needed to be fixed, it would have been fixed in time. Also, the projector could have been used later during the party as the sun had already set. When we originally asked if we could use the projector, we were given the excuse that it was because the sun would cause problems viewing the videos, so we had to use the back television. We offered alternative solutions, but all we were given was "we can't" instead of "let me see what we can do".

Overall, we felt if things couldn't be fixed like the microphone, they would be ignored. Or, if something needed to be done, we had to bring it to the attention of the staff. For instance, when the food needed to be replenished or when people would need forks because they were cleared. These are tasks that if someone had been paying attention, we wouldn't have to be running all over the place in order to get it done. There were even times were when we needed someone and no one was on the floor to help.

The food charge and service charge are certainly outrageous given what happened yesterday. We're not looking for excuses on why things were the way they were. We understand that Sandy kept the restaurant out of commission for two weeks, but we know that Sandy cannot be blamed for how our event was executed. We know that your staff was friendly, but they were very unprepared and unorganized. We and none of our friends do not plan on returning to your establishment and will give an honest opinion whenever there is a forum to do so, so that people do not waste their money on Michael Anthony's.

2  Thank Bien D

Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you're visiting town you're likely to see lots of ads for this restaurant on your google searches and your hotel staff will probably also recommend them. We were looking forward to a nice, hot meal after being out and about in the cold and rain all day. We got a beautiful table with an impressive view of the waterfront and NY skyline. However the ambiance and food were such a disappointment. Our appetizer was barely warm and none of the food tasted freshly prepared. More like canned or frozen and then recently microwaved, and not for enough time. Everything was just about luke warm. Our waiter was helpful and nice and genuinely earnest in trying to provide a nice experience. The lights were almost too dark to see what we were eating and it was very cold inside so I kept my coat on. Once the lights came up brighter and then were quickly dimmed after a customer complained it was too bright. Despite all this, I give this crew a lot of credit for recently re-opening post-Sandy flooding but overall it was just a weird experience. Did I mention the hostess? Totally, completely unfriendly. I couldn't tell if she hated her job or just all visitors coming to Michael Anthony's. But she needs a new line of work.

1  Thank GoldenGateGirl2011
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The menu shows much seafood and claims to favor organic food from local producers, so I gave it a try. My salmon was perfectly prepared and the Chardonnay gave an excellent match. The dessert list is short but out of the ordinary. I had a chocolate pyramid that made it a great dinner. In addition to this it is the view at NY that makes this restaurant something very special and during the week it was not a problem to get a table at the veranda that features these views.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Love the location of this restaurant. Great place for a drink. The menu and food choices are lacking. Service was good.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Good place for an after hours drink. Get beers and nachos, enjoy the view and head out to fire & oak for a good meal. I have had 3 strikes at this place. The service and the views are good but don't make up for the food.