“Wedding Brunch Disaster”
Review of Michael Anthony's - CLOSED

Michael Anthony's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: Pavonia/Newport Light Rail & Path Station.
Description: Michael Anthony's, a waterfront restaurant specializing in fine Italian dining, events and catering.
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had booked our post-wedding brunch here for 40 people from 10:30-12:30. Lora and Ashley were quite responsive via email before the brunch and we expected everything to go well....

We arrived at 10.30 am. The place was locked.
A server came to the door and then opened it after we had stood in the hot sun for over 5 minutes with my 84 year old grandmother.

The food was not ready to be served until more than 15-30 minutes after we first came. Coffee was not ready until people had finished eating brunch. The staff said they were still brewing it. It should have been ready at the out set! The servers poured water for some and then disappeared, leaving no other drinks out for the taking. Juices came around 11.
We had to ask them to set out cream cheese, butter and such for the bagels. The bagels were stale.

This was a BAD experience with worse service. Even the lovely ambiance did not make up for our disastrous experience.

My ratings:
for the food - zero
for the service - minus ten
My embarrassment - ten

After the fact we emailed Lora, Ashley and copied the general manager with our comments, asking them to investigate and let us know their side of the story. They never responded. That's what I call bad customer service. I would never even go here for a beer again - I suggest you stay away.

3  Thank Steg-on-Wheels

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I try and get to this place every 2-3 months since I am in the City often - great views of NYC and a good menu. With a lot of choices in NYC, sometimes I like to get out of the city and to a place to where I can relax with old friends and enjoy a less busy dinner - but still have a great view...

This is a great place to met an old friend and have a relaxing dinner over a few drinks...and the prices are about half of what you would spend in the city - great value...

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Worth going to for drinks and the view. We sat at the bar and enjoyed a couple of drinks before moving on somewhere else for dinner. The house Pino Grigio was awful!

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Really good settings and high quality food. Bar is well stocked and service world class.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

The place has been there for ages. Before it was Michael Anthony's it was something like Cafe Newport and was SURELY a front for something. Thank goodness it has been turned around and is now the lovely place it is. We go frequently just to have a drink after a movie at the mall or shopping but occasionally we go for dinner and are always surprised at how good the food is. The wine list is good and they have some interesting ones available by the glass which is always a nice surprise. So, good drinks, good food and a stellar view! Oh, and you can actually have a conversation in this place. So, get up, put on your shoes and get over there. You'll be glad you did.