“Good staff, disappointing room”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
San Francisco
“Good staff, disappointing room”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I stayed at the Westin Jersey City because the W in Hoboken was fully booked (for which I take credit -- kidding). The building sits near the Hudson River, and is convenient to PATH and the ferry to midtown Manhattan (no direct ferry to Wall Street). The lobby and public spaces are lovely, and the staff were professional, gracious and welcoming when I arrived to check in. For some reason, my card key didn't work the first or the second time I went up to the room; the third time, the front desk representative came up with me.

I had booked a junior suite, which is the room I stayed in. The only problem I had with my stay was the room itself: call me crazy, but to me "suite" means two rooms, separated by... something (preferably a door). My room (see pictures) was just a bigger room, with a sitting area on one side, the bed on the other. Frequently, the only thing I do in a hotel room is sleep and get ready to go to work; Consequently, I'd like the hotel to make those two activities as easy as possible. Unfortunately -- due to poor design and poor execution -- my room didn't make this exactly easy. First, when I turned on the AC, regardless of how high the fan was set, a big vent (see picture) blew a blast of cold air at the bed -- I mean, at least aim the stream of air up or something, and preferably provide the ability to actually turn the fan down, but not off. Noise from the hallway was substantial (but manageable with earplugs) -- what is it with semi-nice hotels that design every door to close with a bang? Is it so much more expensive to install a door the closes, but quietly? The thing I like best about staying in a suite is the quiet from having two doors between me and the hallway -- but obviously not with this suite.

OK, getting ready in the morning: The storage space for clothing had me asking "who designed this, and what on earth were they thinking?" There are two big closets -- enough to hang clothes for a family of 4 for a month -- in the sitting room area, but no drawers, and only one shelf. So, for things like socks and underwear, either leave it in your suitcase, pile it all up on the shelf or put it in the drawers... in the bedroom, which means a lot of walking back and forth, around the big couch... which brings me to...

One last gripe about the room: What the hell is the huge outlet-like thing (see picture) that sticks up from the floor right in front of the couch? It is perfectly designed to trip people.

OK, aside from the above, the room was fine -- the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was okay-nothing-special (who takes a bath in a tub that's only 18" deep?). The room was quite clean and well-maintained. The menu in the restaurant downstairs was not appealing to me, so I didn't try it.

OK, I know this review is mostly negative -- but hey, with a teeny-tiny amount of effort and a little bit of design sense, all of the problems I experienced (with the possible exception of putting a divider between the two rooms) could be solved.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SF_EXEC
helesan, Management Representative at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regards to your recent stay. We are happy you decided to take advantage of our convenient location and accessibility to the New York City area. We are also delighted to hear that our staff was gracious and welcoming and that you found our lobby and public space to be aesthetically pleasing. At Westin our goal is to welcome you with sights, sounds and scents to replenish your spirit. It is definitely rewarding to hear we were able to provide that experience.
We apologize that unfortunately you experienced noise issues during your stay and also understand our Junior Suite did not meet your expectations due to design issues. We wanted you to know we do offer One Bedroom Suites consisting of either a Junior Suite and a connecting Premium Newport King Room or Premium Newport King Room with a connecting Parlor Room.
On behalf of The Westin Jersey City Newport, thank you for choosing to experience our property! We want our guests to experience the ultimate level of comfort so that they can awake energized and rejuvenated. Thank you for providing us with your comments which we will communicate to our team. We look forward to welcoming you as our guest once again and for the opportunity to offer you the renewing experience Westin is known for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We only had one night here after flying into Newark (approx. 20 minute taxi ride $70.00)and then travelling out of La Guardia the following morning (approx. 40 minutes on a Saturday morning $88 by private car). Very clean hotel, comfy rooms and beds. Didn't have time to use facitlities. Next door to the shopping mall where there is a food court and a 5 minute walk to the marina walkway where you get a spectacular view of the Manhattan Skyline. Our only disappointment was that although we had a high floor, we only had a inland view overlooking the shopping mall and we hoping for a Manhattan view, but apparantly you need a suite for this. The hotel is also next to the Path station and the Ferry Station which takes you into Manhattan which would be great for longer stays.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank besttaxis
philadelphia
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel - sleek, modern design, pristine, high quality linens, quiet. Had a late-night light meal in the bar and a full breakfast. Both meals were quite good. Sushi was fresh, beautifully presented. Breakfast options were plentiful. Service in both restaurants was friendly but very slow.
The room was immaculate, completely quiet and quite large. There was a special rate promotion ($169 per night) which I couldn't get when I tried to book just a few days later. Regular rates are quite high, but I will always check back when I need to stay in the NYC area. This was a real treat.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Loved the hotel and location for easy and quick access to NYC! I will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I will stay here again. Subway 1 block away and great rooms.

• Stayed March 2010
laincm88
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I love this hotel. it is hop and modern, located right next to the mall, and right across the street from the subway (PATH) station. Some rooms have great views of NYC. Pool, fitness center, business center. We arrived almost 4 hours prior to normal check in time, but they had a clean room ready and waiting for us. Restaurant is wonderful, especially at night in the summer (wonderful steaks, dinner by just the light of the fire, super romantic). Rooms decorated great, comfy beds. I have no complaints about this hotel. It is perfect for a trip to NYC. I have stayed in Manhattan before, and the Westin truly gives you almost 4 times the amount of room, and the bathroom is gigantic compared the the average Manhattan hotel. Very safe neighborhood. Make sure you pick this hotel! We even got a GREAT price...buy one night, get the next 1/2 off. Fantastic deal.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed in three rooms over three nights at this hotel and they have a big problem with routine maintenance.

The first room I stayed in had a blocked toilet. The first attempt to plunge it out was partly successful, enough to get me through the night. By the next day, the toilet had fully given up the ghost and the mainetnance man called down to organize a change of rooms, as he was going to have to snake out the toilet later.

The next room was only two doors down, and I stayed a total of two minutes. It smelled of smoke and had a big box in the middle of the carpet humming and blowing air about. When I went down to see the manager, I was told this was an ionizer used to de-smoke rooms that had been violated by smokers who cannot follow the Westin fresh air policy.

My third room had a working toilet, but the tv was inoperative, something I didn't discover until trying to catch a bit of late night tv before bed. By this time, I was too tired to switch rooms again, and just went to sleep and checked out the next day.

This hotel needs much better management of their rooms. Which are well designed but not entirely functioning in my three attempts to find a room that offers both a working toilet and television.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Human44
helesan, Management Representative at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, May 12, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. We truly apologize for the incidents you encountered during your stay. We are here to make sure our guest’s stay is as relaxing and stress free as possible and are sorry to hear that this was not the case for you. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you at your convenience. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel directly, please send an email to westinjerseycity@westin.com and refer to Customer Service in your message. Let us know when would be a good time for us to contact you directly to discuss. Thanks again for your review. We look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Jersey City Newport in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
#4 of 14 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#5 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!