I stayed at the Westin Jersey City because the W in Hoboken was fully booked (for which I take credit -- kidding). The building sits near the Hudson River, and is convenient to PATH and the ferry to midtown Manhattan (no direct ferry to Wall Street). The lobby and public spaces are lovely, and the staff were professional, gracious and welcoming when I arrived to check in. For some reason, my card key didn't work the first or the second time I went up to the room; the third time, the front desk representative came up with me.
I had booked a junior suite, which is the room I stayed in. The only problem I had with my stay was the room itself: call me crazy, but to me "suite" means two rooms, separated by... something (preferably a door). My room (see pictures) was just a bigger room, with a sitting area on one side, the bed on the other. Frequently, the only thing I do in a hotel room is sleep and get ready to go to work; Consequently, I'd like the hotel to make those two activities as easy as possible. Unfortunately -- due to poor design and poor execution -- my room didn't make this exactly easy. First, when I turned on the AC, regardless of how high the fan was set, a big vent (see picture) blew a blast of cold air at the bed -- I mean, at least aim the stream of air up or something, and preferably provide the ability to actually turn the fan down, but not off. Noise from the hallway was substantial (but manageable with earplugs) -- what is it with semi-nice hotels that design every door to close with a bang? Is it so much more expensive to install a door the closes, but quietly? The thing I like best about staying in a suite is the quiet from having two doors between me and the hallway -- but obviously not with this suite.
OK, getting ready in the morning: The storage space for clothing had me asking "who designed this, and what on earth were they thinking?" There are two big closets -- enough to hang clothes for a family of 4 for a month -- in the sitting room area, but no drawers, and only one shelf. So, for things like socks and underwear, either leave it in your suitcase, pile it all up on the shelf or put it in the drawers... in the bedroom, which means a lot of walking back and forth, around the big couch... which brings me to...
One last gripe about the room: What the hell is the huge outlet-like thing (see picture) that sticks up from the floor right in front of the couch? It is perfectly designed to trip people.
OK, aside from the above, the room was fine -- the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was okay-nothing-special (who takes a bath in a tub that's only 18" deep?). The room was quite clean and well-maintained. The menu in the restaurant downstairs was not appealing to me, so I didn't try it.
OK, I know this review is mostly negative -- but hey, with a teeny-tiny amount of effort and a little bit of design sense, all of the problems I experienced (with the possible exception of putting a divider between the two rooms) could be solved.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the waterfront Financial District of Jersey City, our AAA/CAA Four Diamond hotel is just 200 steps and one subway stop to NYC. Featuring spacious guest rooms and inspiring view of Manhattan we're walking distance to great restaurants on the Hudson waterfront. Explore our hotel renovation, escape to the serenity of our 429 Jersey City accommodations and treat yourself to a stay in one of our elevated rooms for stunning view of the NYC skyline. Experience the rejuvenating Heavenly Bath and the signature Westin Heavenly Bed, perfect for a blissful night's sleep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The Westin Jersey City Newport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Jersey City, Newport Hotel Jersey City
- Westin Jersey City Newport