The Westin Jersey City Newport
The Holland Hotel(Jersey City)(Great Value!)
$149
$125
Candlewood Suites Jersey City(Jersey City)(Great Value!)
$196
$137
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Ramada Jersey City(Jersey City)
$136
$199
Travelocity
$153
1,520 results
All reviewsheavenly bedoak restaurantnew yorkpath trainstarbucks coffeeself parkingvery nice hotelshopping malllower manhattanfreedom towerlight railmanhattan skylinehigh floorinto nycacross the riverfitness centereasy access to nyc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed in three rooms over three nights at this hotel and they have a big problem with routine maintenance.

The first room I stayed in had a blocked toilet. The first attempt to plunge it out was partly successful, enough to get me through the night. By the next day, the toilet had fully given up the ghost and the mainetnance man called down to organize a change of rooms, as he was going to have to snake out the toilet later.

The next room was only two doors down, and I stayed a total of two minutes. It smelled of smoke and had a big box in the middle of the carpet humming and blowing air about. When I went down to see the manager, I was told this was an ionizer used to de-smoke rooms that had been violated by smokers who cannot follow the Westin fresh air policy.

My third room had a working toilet, but the tv was inoperative, something I didn't discover until trying to catch a bit of late night tv before bed. By this time, I was too tired to switch rooms again, and just went to sleep and checked out the next day.

This hotel needs much better management of their rooms. Which are well designed but not entirely functioning in my three attempts to find a room that offers both a working toilet and television.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Human44
helesan, Management Representative at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. We truly apologize for the incidents you encountered during your stay. We are here to make sure our guest’s stay is as relaxing and stress free as possible and are sorry to hear that this was not the case for you. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you at your convenience. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel directly, please send an email to westinjerseycity@westin.com and refer to Customer Service in your message. Let us know when would be a good time for us to contact you directly to discuss. Thanks again for your review. We look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Jersey City Newport in the future!

Reviewed May 3, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Westin for a single night anniversary trip. We were already aware of the nearby construction (not an issue on a Saturday night) and the likelihood that we would not have a skyline view. We wanted a reliable stay for under a hundred dollars. Check-in staff were friendly and responsive to our needs.

After unpacking and laying down for a brief nap prior to dinner, I was upset to find what appeared to be blood splatter on the pillowcases. Upon further investigation, there were also spots on the bedsheet and other accessories. Both security and housekeeping were sent to the room where they inspected the visible stains and also found a much larger circular stain underneath on the pillowtop. They were apologetic and quickly changed the materials.

My partner and I were polite and did not become visibly agitated or disrespectful to staff. I can imagine that other people would have become confrontational and demanding. We were late for our dinner and had a concert to attend and did not have enough time to change rooms. I instead requested some other form of compensation, whether a dinner voucher or other discount. The housekeeping manager assured us that she would speak with the hotel manager to reconcile the situation.

We did not return to the hotel until after midnight and thus decided to address the situation at checkout. At that time, the manager informed me that they did an investigation and decided that the stains were not blood, but paint. I know the difference between the two. I am sure they did not have the kind of equipment necessary to evaluate the situation. Secondly, this would not explain why the stains were pervasive and how it got underneath the sheets. There was no such color paint in the room. Regardless, an investigation for blood should not be a part of any trip, period. The manager stated that we were offered another room (which we did not take due to the lateness for dinner and NYC show) and there would be no further compensation. I did not verbally escalate or become threatening. I basically said that's bs and wished them a nice day.

Overall, we were satisfied and did not let the situation ruin the trip. I am sure that others would not have been so laid back about it. The atmosphere in Newport is very calm compared to NYC. Many corporate types live in the luxury condos that fill the area. There are many low-cost food and shopping resources, although the restaurants adjacent to the hotel are a bit pricey. The Japanese restaurant down by the water is excellent.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for choosing to experience our property for such a special occasion. We are pleased to hear our front desk check-in staff was responsive to your needs and that you were able to explore Newport’s retail and leisure facilities. However, we are sorry and regret to hear that the rest of your stay was not as pleasant. Please note we will make sure to communicate your feedback to all departments involved. We hope that when you return to Jersey City, you come back to experience The Westin Jersey City Newport & all we have to offer.

Reviewed April 30, 2010

Loud construction going on next to the property. I was booked for a room overlooking construction workers, cement walls and jack hammers pounding away. I immediately requested a different room and was given attitude at the front desk. After much arguing, I was given a different room, 6 floors higher, but directly over the same room I was originally in overlooking the same construction mess. I quickly learned that travelers who booked with websites other than the Westin, receive rooms without a view of the city or the river. Management has zero consideration for world travelers who need their rest after international travel; shame on you.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We stayed at the Westin in Jersey City two nights. It was a lovely hotel- clean, nice rooms, great heavenly bed. The shower head (dual) was nice although the bathroom was small. The hotel is right next to the PATH subway which takes you into NYC for $1.75! Very convenient. There is a great mall next to the Westin and restaurants up and down the strip. We loved it! I highly reccomend it!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The gym is on the 5th floor and we were awaken at 6 in the morning by the banging on the treadmills which went on all morning.

I was also told to park in the garage, but the next morning found out that they have no affiliation with the hotel and ended up paying double what I should have (because I left and came back to park again).

I complained about both these issues and was told there was nothing they could do. With all the other hotels around this area I would definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends