“always a dependable experience”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I travel to the NY area for business several times a year. I usually stay in Manhattan but sometimes I stay at the Westin in Jersey City. It is very much a typical newer Westin and is in good shape. Great bed, great amenities.. The location is the great asset here. You can get a great view and the PATH train will get you to Greenwich Village, the Meatpacking District or Herald Square in minutes. A nice alternative is to take PATH to Hoboken for a nice dinner. The area around the Westin is offices and a mall and some kinda boring restaurants.. So definitely use PATH and have a more memorable meal.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank roadwarriorla
Bhumika B, Executive Assitant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Greetings roadwarriorla,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience stay with us.

Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The hotel is in the nicely-maintained Newport area of Jersey City, amidst major businesses and just around the corner from a large shopping mall. This is a very convenient place for meetings. Self-parking and valet parking are available. The lobby and common areas of this hotel are wide open and pleasant. The staff are very friendly and happy to take time with you. The hotel restaurant has a nice vibe and a varied menu, with vegetarian and vegan menus on request. The sleeping rooms and bathrooms are attractive and clean. However, I would not stay here if my goal was to experience NYC. There are quite a few restaurants in the area, but the streets empty out on weekends and evenings. This is definitely Jersey City: it is not NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the middle of the hallway, between the ice machine and the elevators if you'd...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2014

As per usual lately, my flight was delayed due to weather, and after a choppy landing at LGA, I was ready for bed. I had low expectations for this hotel, as Jersey hotels tend to depress me.

I walked into a beautiful lobby, friendly front desk associates and a very quick check in. I zipped up the elevator to my room to find five massive windows facing Manhattan, two in the bath and three in the room. This room had space a plenty and the views to the river and lower manhattan were breathtaking!

The bathroom was cause for celebration. I never take baths on the road. However, this tub was free standing in the bathroom and overlooked the amazing view. I took both an evening and morning bath the coffee to admire this sensational view.

The Westin really made my business trip feel more like vacation. Thank you!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We chose this hotel because the rate for a 4-star hotel was fantastic. In Manhattan you probably wouldn't be able to afford that kind of hotel. Our room was in the 3rd floor faced to 6th street. Although the railway just passes behind the hotel and the street is well busy we weren't any disturbed there. It was very quite.
The hotel just lies across the street from the PATH station "Newport" wich brings to within 10-15 min to the World Trade Center or to 33rd Street in Manhattan. It's really the perfect spot to start your adventure in New York City.
The room was quite large as well as the bathroom. For my taste was the bed a bit too soft, but that's my personal impression. I slept well!
We once used the concierge service because we wanted to eat out and not in the hotel (the restaurant there is really good, but once is enough). This guy was really nice and could help us within a second. We had to chose between like 20 different restaurants just around the hotel. I can suggest you the Cuban restaurant just 2 min walk away.

They offer free Wi-Fi in the Lobby. If you want to use the service on room you have to pay $9.99 per 24h. We used that because we didn't wanted to go downstairs all the time, and I guess if you can afford a 4-star hotel then you can afford the wi-fi as well.

We didn't book a fare which included breakfast. But that wasn't a problem. They offer breakfast a la cart and at the weekend from the buffet. I can highly suggest it! Very very delicious!

I would book it again the next time. Even my friend from New Jersey said, it's a really good deal - so close to Manhattan, being right next to the Hudson and paying really small money for it!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We've stayed here in Novermber to run the NYC marathon. Nice hotel! Rooms are big and beds are very comfy! Also the service and facilities are great... Only thing that was bothering me was the surrounding. There is nothing to do in the area. Connections to Manhatten are ok though...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Greetings Mr. Ewout B,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We usually stay at a midtown hotel when visiting NYC, but the Westin may have changed that.
The price was much lower than a comparable midtown hotel and it's proximity to the PATH train made getting into and out of the city very convenient and reasonable. If you spend some extra dollars you are treated to a lovely view of the NYC skyline across the river.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Greetings mamabNePa,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Room was lovely. Plenty of space. Nice bathroom. Friendly staff. Good location only 5 mins walk from the PATH station - so easy, regular access into Manhatten. Extremely quiet loction so great to be away from the hussle and bussle. Overpriced though for the location. Shame the local restaurants ( although there is literally only a couple ! ) aren't open after 10pm at the very latest! Hotel only let down by a rude receptionist - upon me trying to check out a day early (Caroline) wanted to charge me a $125 fee for early check out...on top of the daily rates I had already paid. Confused or what lol.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Greetings Badger789,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that staff's attentive customer service was a part of that. . I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the local restaurants closing early. Please feel free to email me at Bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that I look into your early departure.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Courtyard Jersey City Newport
#4 of 14 in Jersey City
Residence Inn by Marriott Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!