“Staff Is Top Notch”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed December 9, 2012

When I arrived I learned that the hotel had been overbooked and that I was being "walked to another hotel." I didn't get upset, but rather waited to see how it would all turn out. The truth is that it turned out better than it likely would have been if my room had been available. Managers Pat and Debbie got me an upgrade at a sister property (a suite), but insisted that I transfer back to the Westin the next night as a room would be available. They asked for the opportunity to "make it up to me." Did they ever. They paid for a town car to and from the other hotel, upgraded me to a suite in both hotels, and gave me a voucher for two complimentary breakfasts, which I enjoyed with my daughter who came to visit me while I was in town. The smart service and savvy management turned what could have been an supplement situation into something that was memorable. There were two nice restaurants in the hotel and the staff was great all around.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 8, 2012

It was our first time on the East Coast and wanted to stay in New Jersey and visit New York and watch our son perform at Carnegie Hall. I read reviews and did a little reserach on surrounding areas and hotels and was recommended the WestinHotel in Newport/Jersey City. The staff was welcoming and gracious from the time we approached the hotel and throughout our stay, everyone was helpful which made our trip memorable. we had dinner in the restaurant, ordered room service, had their breakfast buffet and enjoyed drinks/appetizers in their bar, all of which was very pleasing from the quality of the food to the superb service. We utlitized their business area, fitness room and even had time to relax in their pool.These areas were always kept up and again, everytime we ran into their staff, they were always helpful. The PATH train takes you directly into New York and is conveniently located just 5 minutes from the hotel. The Marina across the street is beautiful and very serene in the evenings. The view of the New York skyline is amazing from this hotel and (again) suprisingly only minutes away when you take the PATH train into lower Manhattan. We are eager to come back whether business or pleasure and rest assured we will come back to this hotel. This hotel is well worth the 4 to 5 SPG level as the hotel and hotel rooms are clean and comfortable, the service is impeccable and the hotel is convenient and close to New York and the surrounding New Jersey cities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the New York skyline
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jmsbas
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Westin was a great choice for our weekend trip to NYC. We flew to Newark, and hopped the train that took us to a PATH station two blocks from the hotel. Very convenient! The PATH station located two blocks away took us on a short hop across the Hudson to Manhattan. We came out right by Macy's. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays. Our room was in perfect condition. The beds were super comfortable. Just like sleeping at home! We chose the go green option and got a $5 voucher for breakfast the next morning. It is also close to a lot of shopping and restaurants, as well as to Hoboken, a cute little town with a street full of shops and bakeries. Overall, I will definitely stay here again! It was a great alternative to the Times Square area that was a lot more pricey.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the marina, but I think you can get a room on a higher floor with a city view fo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2012

First stay of the vacation and owing to the high prices that are now charged in Manhattan hotels ($200 for a Comfort inn??) I chose to stay at the Westin as a SPG cardholder and the good reviews on tripadvisor also it has been about 10 years since last in NYC and just could not justify to pay midtown hotels prices.

The transfer from JFK was not too bad (after the lengthy immigration lines) via the Airtrain to Jamaica, the Long Island Rail to Penn 34th St then the Path over to Newport. All in all it took about 1 hr/ 1hr 15mins & cost about $28 for the 2 of us. The Westin is dead easy to find when you come out from the Newport Path station as it directly on your left as you are facing the main road, past the BofA on the corner.

Checkin was done by the lovely Courtney who allocated me a room on the 23rd floor with amazing views of the NYC skyline. The room itself was fab, very large, spacious and well appointed. Large tv and little fridge - 2 bottled waters , replaced daily and lots of space plus inroom Starbuck coffee maker. The bathroom was nice but could have been lit a bit brighter otherwise fine. Long tub & lots of soaps & gels and lovely soft towels.

Westin beds are always a pleasure to sleep in & this one was no exception, slept like a log and great for overcoming jetlag when you can get a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed!!

Having the space made such a difference and does help relax you. Free wifi in the lobby only & none in the room which was a shame. Enjoyed my morning swim in the pool which was large and never really got busy although the hot tub sometimes was !! plus it was open from 5 a.m. to midnight which is a plus. Breakfast was not included in my rate but there is "Cosi" coffee shop nearby which was fine or head into the city for brunch. Had drinks at night time at the Dorrian Red Hand pub which was good & cheap - $12 for a round of 2 spirits. The concierge desk at the hotel has a handy Newport street map which shows where everything is - take a copy.

It was a really great stay and probably would stay here again when next in NYC but do take into account the travel & journey times as I was there mid November after Sandy over a weekend and the last train back from the city was 10.00 p.m. and the trains did not seem to go as quick as they should, hopefully there will all be back on line soon. Also the train to Newark airport took an age too on a Monday morning owing to the same damage from Sandy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank UncleDom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Westin is always a pleasure to stay. Hotels in Manhattan are always more expensive, so we decide to stay in Jersey City. With the PATH-train it is only 10 minutes to go to Manhatta 33th street.

Rooms were very nice and comfy and free coffee available. Service in the bar and reception was excellent. I booked the room directly because bookings.com was more expensive.

We had a nice view on the Manhattan Skyline.

Breakfast is so so, that is why we went to Cosi. Its a nice restaurant only 200 mtrs from the hotel.

One minor issue....why do you charge for the internet you guys???? we live in the 21th century!! it is a custom good to have free wifi, also on the room. so 9,95 per day/per device is madness !! To bad you are still living in the stone-age.

But i still love staying in Westin :)

Room Tip: send an direct mail to the hotel to ask for manhattan view and become a member of starwoodpoint (it...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eric B
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our family of 4, along with another family of 3, booked through a third party and were assigned this hotel. I'm not particularly picky, but I'll usually notice some of the small things.... yet this hotel was spectacular in every way. The staff was ALWAYS acknowledging (everyone did it from front desk to bellman, etc) and helpful, the rooms were spacious, attractive and clean, the lobby was gorgeous, the location perfect for connecting to the PATH train to NYC. A few restaurants nearby, such as pubs and family-friendly upscale pizzerias were a nearby walk. Third party parking was convenient and secure enough, right next door. Everything SMELLED clean. Really, this is true. Even the awesome fitness room (complete with cold facecloths), smelled like roses. I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel is really, really nice. The rooms are large and absolutely spotless. The bed was comfortable, I slept great. I used the fitness center, it was amazing for a hotel (very large, clean, and all the equipment worked). I don't drive when I stay here, so I can't comment on parking. There's a lot to do in the area, and the restaurant at the hotel (Fire and Oak) is only marginally more expensive than others in the area and the food is very good. And you're only a short PATH train ride from NYC. There are 2 areas where I'd ding this hotel: 1) I heard every door slam in the hallway all night, and I heard techno music playing outside my window all night, so if you're a light sleeper take notice, and 2) the rooms are quite dark, even with all the lights turned on. I think the latter is because the walls and carpet are muted gray tones, which don't exactly make it nice and bright.

Even with those 2 minor flaws, this is a great property.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better. There's a lot of noise in the area.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
W Hoboken
W Hoboken
#1 of 2 in Hoboken
Residence Inn by Marriott Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!