“Excellent hotel, very close to Manhattan”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Westin is always a pleasure to stay. Hotels in Manhattan are always more expensive, so we decide to stay in Jersey City. With the PATH-train it is only 10 minutes to go to Manhatta 33th street.

Rooms were very nice and comfy and free coffee available. Service in the bar and reception was excellent. I booked the room directly because bookings.com was more expensive.

We had a nice view on the Manhattan Skyline.

Breakfast is so so, that is why we went to Cosi. Its a nice restaurant only 200 mtrs from the hotel.

One minor issue....why do you charge for the internet you guys???? we live in the 21th century!! it is a custom good to have free wifi, also on the room. so 9,95 per day/per device is madness !! To bad you are still living in the stone-age.

But i still love staying in Westin :)

Room Tip: send an direct mail to the hotel to ask for manhattan view and become a member of starwoodpoint (it...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eric B
There are newer reviews for The Westin Jersey City Newport

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our family of 4, along with another family of 3, booked through a third party and were assigned this hotel. I'm not particularly picky, but I'll usually notice some of the small things.... yet this hotel was spectacular in every way. The staff was ALWAYS acknowledging (everyone did it from front desk to bellman, etc) and helpful, the rooms were spacious, attractive and clean, the lobby was gorgeous, the location perfect for connecting to the PATH train to NYC. A few restaurants nearby, such as pubs and family-friendly upscale pizzerias were a nearby walk. Third party parking was convenient and secure enough, right next door. Everything SMELLED clean. Really, this is true. Even the awesome fitness room (complete with cold facecloths), smelled like roses. I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel is really, really nice. The rooms are large and absolutely spotless. The bed was comfortable, I slept great. I used the fitness center, it was amazing for a hotel (very large, clean, and all the equipment worked). I don't drive when I stay here, so I can't comment on parking. There's a lot to do in the area, and the restaurant at the hotel (Fire and Oak) is only marginally more expensive than others in the area and the food is very good. And you're only a short PATH train ride from NYC. There are 2 areas where I'd ding this hotel: 1) I heard every door slam in the hallway all night, and I heard techno music playing outside my window all night, so if you're a light sleeper take notice, and 2) the rooms are quite dark, even with all the lights turned on. I think the latter is because the walls and carpet are muted gray tones, which don't exactly make it nice and bright.

Even with those 2 minor flaws, this is a great property.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better. There's a lot of noise in the area.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at this Westin based on recommendations from friends. I travel for a living so I notice and appreciate hotels that go above and beyond the typical brand experience. We were greeted by a friendly doorman and while we checked in, the most lovely attendant, Rosemerri, graciously greeted us with a warm smile, took our many bags upstairs and provided us with five-star style check in. I was so impressed I made sure to memorize her name badge. Yes, she was that great! Our front desk staff was also very warm and friendly. Professional, kind and gracious. All the more impressive as they had only recently re-opened from the flooding of Hurricane Sandy and their staff must have been exhausted. A perfect first impression overall. Our rooms were spacious and well appointed. We also had a lovely view of the New York skyline upon request which was truly appreciated, thank you Madeleine. It was also conveniently located to the PATH station which was thankfully up and running after "Sandy" and provided quick and easy access to NYC. There were a few things which were puzzling about our service--we booked the room for four people--but were only given two glasses, two paper coffee cups and two creamers for coffee. Even upon request, the hotel seemed reluctant to provide adequate cups, glasses and bedding. This was disappointing since we had paid the extra fees for additional people and those guests weren't acknowledged at all. And strangely, as the week went on, the front desk staff rotated and the next set of front desk clerks were not at all friendly. Two of them in particular were ice cold and acted as if they couldn't be bothered to answer simple questions about my Starwood account, even when the lobby was empty. Also odd, the concierge seemed uninterested in providing the same warm and friendly service when asked about local restaurant recommendations. One final note: don't spend the extra money on a fridge or microwave...even though we requested them upon check in, we had to call again to have them brought up to our room .The first microwave didn't work at all, all the food was ice cold. The second one was brought up with huge dents and looked as if it had been thrown off the balcony of our 17th floor room. We returned it right away. Overall, the genuine warmth of the original staff really made the difference in our experience. No hotel is ever perfect but this Westin really tries.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, they are very helpful!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2012

An very nice hotel that is pretty convienient to downtown Manhattan. We flew into Newark for a long weekend visiting Manhattan and the Path train takes you to a stop that is a quick 5 minute walk from the hotel. Check-in was easy enough and we were given a nice room with our Starwood Preferred status. The value was pretty good for the area (we used Priceline). The room itself was very nice and clean. Did notice a stain on the side of the mattress and my wife's pillow had what appeared to be a blood speck on one side, but other than that it was very nice (room 1508... sounds worse than it was). As other reviewers have said, the bathrooms are pretty amazing. The above head huge shower head was a plus that I haven't experienced in other Westin properties... Plus the shower products are second to none. Starbucks coffee is also another great perk.

Staff was nice enough, though I have experienced staff that do a little more bending over backwards at other Westin locations. Food is really expensive, but I guess that is the Westin way.

Overall, a very nice stay. It was nice to get away from the city a bit for the night. It would be nice if there were a few more options for a cheaper late night meal at the hotel, but I guess you can't have everything.

Room Tip: I think 15th and above are the "prefferred" levels. I would definitely join Starwoods rewa...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is amazing ! The rooms are clean, the staff is superbly friendly and attentive. If I can make a recommendation is use the valet parking, very fast and reliable and only 9$ more a day definetly worth it. The breakfast is way to overpriced. It said its an all u can eat buffet but we had to pay extra for a bottle if water and expresso. The food was not very good and the choice was not there at all! But the hotel it self was superb, great view, right on the board walk opening up a great view of the New York skyline. There's also free wifi in the loby of the hotel. Will Definetly stay there again when go back to New York... Location Is great as well, It's about 5 min drive to New York taking the holland tunnel.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in mid-October and found it a very convenient, safe and economical alternative to staying in Manhattan. The hotel is new or newly renovated - by my standards, a very upscale business hotel, large room (register for the Starwood rewardprogram, which is free, to get modest perks like a bigger room when available), and a 100 yard walk to the PATH train, which is a 12 minute subway like ride to Greenwich Village: the PATH is clean, well lit, full of business travelers and tourists and completely manageable (I'd never taken it before, so I didnt know what to expect). you can ride all the way to Penn station on one Metro fare. So, if you hunt for specials, esp on weekends, this is a very economical way to stay 'in' Manhattan. Hotel is very very nice, staff very attentive. we had a view of the Hudson and lower Manhattan. I would stay here again without slightest hesitation, even when going to and from Manhattan late at night.

Room Tip: Join Starwood guest program - they have floors wiht larger rooms, I believe. We faced the Hudson an...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
#4 of 14 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#7 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!