The Westin Jersey City Newport
$246
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
The Holland Hotel(Jersey City)(Great Value!)
$179
Rodeway Inn(Jersey City)
$76
$74
Agoda.com
Ramada Jersey City(Jersey City)
$127
$122
Hotwire.com
$126
HIExpress.com
1,525 results
All reviewsheavenly bedoak restaurantnew yorkpath trainstarbucks coffeeself parkingvery nice hotelshopping malllower manhattanfreedom towerlight railmanhattan skylinehigh floorinto nycacross the riverfitness centereasy access to nyc
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is my third time visiting the NYC area. I've stayed in Rochelle Park NJ (further), The Verve in Long Island City (Queens) and now at the Westin in Jersey City. The Verve, which is two star, was around the same price as I got the Westin for through priceline. Out of all three hotels, this is the option I would recommend the most for NYC.
The hotel is very nice (the dallas cowboys were there while we were there...so if a professional football team thinks it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! hehe)..the lobby/bar area is excellent. It is a wide open space, open every day, with free wifi. Yes, it costs to use wifi in the rooms, but with how big the lobby is, you can have a nice drink (of starbucks! which is two blocks away, barely) and use your wifi.
The staff is friendly...a bit too "professional" sometimes but very accommodating. They helped us out with anything we asked, plus we were able to switch to a better room, with a view of downtown manhattan on the second night (the first night was filled with...err...cowboys).
The rooms were cleaned and well maintained. Not all star luxury, but definitely nice and comfortable.
Now to the most important thing..location! Not just beyond close to NYC, this is in a very nice neighbourhood. Very clean and pedestrian friendly...a mostly business area with a big mall (newport mall) just around the corner from it with tons of shops. There also easy access to light rail from the mall. The PATH system is near the aforementioned starbucks..so about a 3-5 minute walk from the hotel, right next to newport harbour...a fancy yacht club with a public boardwalk that is on the hudson. The PATH is only a few stops away from manhattan...from our hotel room to times square (via PATH and one subway stop), it is about 20-25 minutes...compare to the verve, which is a nice hotel as well, but it is definitely not 4 star, not in as nice area and directly in New York City, albeit Queens and not Manhattan, it took us about 20 minutes as well. So you can't beat the price and location for this hotel..definitely recommended.
There are only two things I'm not crazy about. #1 is the distance from EWR. To comfortably make it, it's about a 20-25 minute drive with normal traffic and cost about $40 (for two people). So $80 return is a bit on the expensive side. If you take public transit, it will take about an hour, and you have to bring your luggage through two or three trains, plus walk around with it and it'll still cost you about ~$45 for two people (return trip though..). Which brings me to my second point..although it's as far as the hotel in Queens, you do have to get a separate pass. You have to get a PATH ticket AND a metrocard for it to be worth your while. You can use a "pay-per-ride" card...but the unlimited one does not work, so if you're in the NYC area for more than 3-4 days, the unlimited card is probably the best bet, and in that case, you'll have to get the PATH card too.
Other than those small things, which are exactly that, small things, it's a great hotel with, if you get a good deal, it can be great bang for your buck with a very good location. As others have mentioned, you can pay the same price for an "okay" 2 star hotel in Manhattan, or get this hotel, which is great and won't give you that much more travel distance. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: ask for water/river view...you'll see the freedom tower and downtown Manhattan...but if not, even the other side, you'll be able to see the Empire State Building, albeit not a great view and far away. As with most hotels, the higher up the better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a two double bed room with our kids just before Hurrican Sandy hit. The room and hotel are in very good condition and well maintained. I was surprised for an American hotel to offer double beds, I had assumed we'd get two Kings, but no there were doubles. The room could handle two kings no issues if they had smaller bedside cabinet between the two beds, which was huge. As my wife and I are used to a king, we kept bumping in to each other!

Wifi and LAN internet is fast, you can skype without issue, downloads also fast.

We chose this as it was a calmer location and less high-rise, yet still only a 10min trip on the PATH train to Manhattan, where you can then catch a subway. It is a very quiet area, which is safe to walk around with your family.

Tip: you can get multi trip PATH tickets from the new stand opposite the Newport station (just 3mins walk from hotel), which lowers cost for each journey. We were recommended by PATH staff that the week long pass wasn't value if you only went in and out once per day. These 10 or 30 trip passes can be used by the entire family (under 5s free), so we just bought 10 trip passes one at a time; just "zap" it on the barrier for each person.

The checkin in the hotel was okay, but as a SPG Gold member, I wasn't offered an upgrade or my welcome award. It was a quick checkin without waiting though. The housekeeping was poor with respect to replenishing face towels and coffee milk, although the room was clean; bit of a pain to have to ring up for things missing (although when they bring it up, they don't expect a tip).

Breakfast is reasonably priced for a hotel, but expensive in my eye. There is a supermarket 10mins way way next to a garage and bathroom shop. We bought croissants etc to keep us going until lunch - the kids loved this. Be careful there are some expensive connivence stores tucked behind the PATH station.

We use the hotel's recommend car service, Travel Car Services, for airport transfer from JFK, $120 with tip; we had a larger than normal car both time to accommodate four and suitcases.

The pool and fitness centre are very good and when we went down hardly used. Nice to have the pool to yourself.

There is an average Mall within 5mins walk, which has a large food hall upstairs, although we didn't try any; typical fast food. We eat a couple of times in the Fire and Oak, the onsite restaurant ; We loved the Humous starter and Parcel 41 wine. If you have burgers or steak, it's very chargrilled, not to our taste. Brandon is a fab server and lovely to have a chat with.

In the end we had to leave early to miss the hurricane, which was a shame, but while there we enjoyed our trip.

The hotel lists they have 3 and 5mile run routes, but these don't appear to be formal and the "long run" was less than 3miles! I recommend getting out and running as it was great running along the waterfront with the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop.

Room Tip: High floor to get view on Manhattan skyline. Even the basic rooms can see it if you go by window. You can pay for end rooms which can see it easier (we didn't).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

For visiting NYC or surrounding areas, this Westin is the best place to stay. This is only minutes drive from Liberty State Park and same for visiting New York by Path train. The Westin has a great special for a premium room which includes valet parking and metro ticket. The metro station is a short walking distance, and trip to NY is only about 10 minutes. There are good places to drink and eat near or at the Westin. The greatest feature we thoroughly enjoyed from our room was the view of the NY skyline at night--highly recommend a premium room for this view. Spending time in the bathroom tub right at the windows and enjoying the view is priceless. We will choose this Westin for future visits to this area.

Room Tip: Select a premium room with a great view of NY skyline and worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roberto C
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed there for 5 days. I wanted to visit Manhattan and the price I paid for this hotel was the same as a 2-star hotel downtown Manhattan. I must say it is not the best location for visiting Manhattan, specially because the PATH train was under maintenace on the weekend so it took us a lot of time to get to Manhattan.
The hotel is very nice, it seems new. I really liked the location near the mall. If you want to have a quick breakfast, there is a Grab and Go where you can get muffins, croissant, yoghurt for the price as in a café. There is a coffe machine in room with Starbucks coffee.
Some tips: The taxi from the Newark costed us 48 dollars and the taxi to the JFK costed 102 dollars. If you want to go to the Jersey City Outlet a taxi will cost you about 45 dollars each way (prices in October 2012). There is also a target within a walking distance from the hotel.
It is a Westin and it keeps its standards! Really recomended!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

In my experience, Westin hotels are always great, and this one was no exception. Stylish, comfortable, calm. At check-in, they found my Starwood Preferred Guest number and put me on a Starwood Preferred floor. Breakfast was tasty (oatmeal) as was a mixed drink at the bar. Room was super comfortable. I had a couple of minor issues during my stay but felt they were well-enough taken care of. The dinner salad I ordered at the bar was gritty, as if the greens hadn't been properly rinsed. I told the waitress and she said she'd let the chef know. In the morning my toilet flusher stopped working properly, but maintenance came right away and fixed it, and then called me to confirm that it had been fixed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business