“Peaceful, restful stay”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed October 23, 2012

In my experience, Westin hotels are always great, and this one was no exception. Stylish, comfortable, calm. At check-in, they found my Starwood Preferred Guest number and put me on a Starwood Preferred floor. Breakfast was tasty (oatmeal) as was a mixed drink at the bar. Room was super comfortable. I had a couple of minor issues during my stay but felt they were well-enough taken care of. The dinner salad I ordered at the bar was gritty, as if the greens hadn't been properly rinsed. I told the waitress and she said she'd let the chef know. In the morning my toilet flusher stopped working properly, but maintenance came right away and fixed it, and then called me to confirm that it had been fixed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

While this was an expensive hotel (hey, it is NYC Metro - expect nothing less!) - it was an excellent property! Helpful staff, immaculate rooms, and immediate access to the PATH train into both lower Manhattan and midtown. Food was good, though again, pricey. A few PATH and NJ Transit connections would also make access from Newark Airport easy and relatively inexpensive (a cab/car service was $60). I stayed here for a convention recently and I was quite impressed. If you are willing to pay, I don't think you will be disappointed. A short walk to a grocery store around the corner provides much lower cost snacks and drinks - and my room had an empty mini-bar refrigerator which kept things nice and cool. The closeby Newport mall has lots of multi-cultural and domestic fast-food options - so another low-cost option there.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here on business a couple of times. First time I was there we were subjected to the front line staff who clearly could not understand the Queens English and I had to type my address into the computer for the rude woman behind the check in desk. Also a couple of my party did not have rooms ready and this was at 5pm. A free non-alcoholic drink was offered as compensation. This is a near $300 a night hotel, I'd expect better.

On the good side its well situated, close to the PATH... and its near a big mall. The restaurant was excellent however.

The rooms were ok, but nothing special... the finishing on the decor was really bad, the room looked that it had not been refreshed for a while, which is a bit worrying as the hotel is not that old.

Breakfast was awful, avoid the "buffet" it was limited and not particularly nice unless you like very sweet over priced waffels and pancakes. I ended up going to Cosi's just up the street it was 10% of the price and much better.

I'd only stay there again because the alternatives I hear are not much better in that area...But I find that hard to believe.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Manhattan skyline
1  Thank papawattu
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Jersey City, Newport for two nights while attending a conference. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are spacious and the beds and pillows are luxorious and comfortable. I slept like a rock. Walk out the front door, cross the street and walk one block to access the path train for a $2.25 path train ride into New York which is a stone's throw away across the Hudson River.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kpslas
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights (Oct 5, 6 and 7 2012) in a premium room 16th floor. Very clean, impressive view of lower Manhattan. The two Path stations (one to WTC and the other to 33 th street) were at a 5 minutes walk. The breakfast could be of higher quality. Instead, go to the Skylark restaurant (25 River Drive South Jersey City).

Room Tip: Premium, at the higher level possible, on south side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

we took this hotel for4 nights in new york.
we were hesitataing alot to book this hotel or in NYC.
we are totally satisfied with our stay. the neighbouirhood is fantastic and reminds Ny rather than new jersey.
the hotel is very clean, fine and rooms are very spacious and comfortable. bur the airco is noisy.
the PATH is very convenient to NYC.
we didnt like the cfact that you need to pay for WIFI.

Room Tip: take taxi to airport from the PATH station nearby and not from hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Recently stayed at the Westin as part of a Wedding Bloc. I was impressed by the quality of the hotel and the location was great. Not much of a view to be had from the rooms, but stepping outside provides gorgeous views of Manhattan. Liked the easy accessibility to downtown Hoboken, which was quite trendy, and the easy access to NYC via the PATH trains.

The room was actually quite comfortable and spacious. I really the quality of the mattress and the K cup maker in the room. I'm not sure when/if I'll ever be in Jersey City again, but if I was to return, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
#7 of 14 in Jersey City
W Hoboken
W Hoboken
#1 of 2 in Hoboken

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!