“Cool BYOB place”

Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Cool BYOB place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great classic soul food all made from scratch, just make sure to bring your own wine/beer and block off a good chunk of time as it will take a while to eat, but it's sooooo worth it. Love the fried chicken and mac and cheese

Visited January 2013

New Jersey
“Somewhat disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

First off, I think this place is overpriced. Everything is priced ala carte. I've never been to a soul food restaurant that doesn't give 2 sides with their entrée. Not here, everything is priced separately. They do offer a $30 combo which includes a salad or appetizer, an entrée with one side and a dessert. Sounds good, right? The problem is that most of the menu items are NOT included in this combo. You can get them, but with an upcharge. Like Fried Catfish. Same thing for the sides. Many of the side dishes are not included in the combo. Now macaroni and cheese is a soul food staple. Almost everyone loves macaroni and cheese, but guess what? It's not included in the combo. I did not realize this until I got my bill and saw that there was a $1.50 upcharge for mac and cheese. Come on! Really? And I actually didn't care for the mac and cheese, which is my favorite food.

Peach cobbler is on the dessert menu. Most places would include ice cream with it. Not here. An extra $2 or $3 for a small dish of vanilla ice cream. Ridiculous. I actually didn't even care for the peach cobbler and didn't finish it. The best thing of the meal was the biscuit and corn bread appetizer. But as with everything else on the menu, it was an extra charge! What restaurant doesn't provide complimentary bread? Big negative for me. However, the biscuits were absolutely delicious. Only reason for the 3 star rating of this review.

Service was terrible. Now this place is only as big as a postage stamp, but we could never get our waitress' attention. It took forever to get our bill, then it took forever for her to come back and get the payment. We brought a bottle of wine, they never bought a bucket to chill it.

I could go on but I'll just suffice it to say that I'll go back to Deltas or Freshwater's where you don't have to pay for everything separately and the food is delicious. Soul Flavors misses the mark for me.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank jamy208
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Food was good, not great but good. Too pricey for what you get. Service was horrible. Our waitress wore a necklace that said princess, I guess that's what she thought she was. Staff does not care about customers. Waitress messed up our order and did nothing to fix it. I will never return.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Roy M
Bluffton, South Carolina
“A big disappointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

After reading mostly glowing reviews on Tripadvisor, we visited this restaurant last night. We arrived early for dinner, at 4:30 PM. We were the only customers in the restaurant when we arrived and were greeted warmly as we were seated. We brought our own bottle of wine and the host opened it and brought an ice bucket and glasses. First thing we noticed was that their $30 inclusive menu wasn't quite what was advertised online. Most of the appetizers, entrees and some desserts were NOT included. As the menu is not that big, this greatly limited what we could order on this $30 "special". We decided to just order what we wanted, disregarding the price. My daughter ordered the smothered chicken with white mashed potatoes, my husband ordered the beef ribs with a side of cole slaw and I also ordered the beef ribs with macaroni and cheese. (Note: the beef ribs were NOT included in the $30 special). Noting they need 30 mins. to prepare the apple pie for dessert, I ordered it at this time, as my husband ordered the peach cobbler and my daughter the bananas foster (bananas foster also NOT included in the $30 menu special). We had biscuits for appetizers and salads. Things started our well, the biscuits and salads were delicious. When our meal came however, we did not receive the sides, just the meat (which was all delicious). By now, there were 7 more diners in the restaurant, 3 a table with another waitress and 4 at a table served by our waitress. Despite this, we could not get our waitress' attention shortly after receiving our entrees, to ask about our sides. She never came back to see if everything was all right. This is a SMALL restaurant, so it would seem improbable that we couldn't get her attention. We did ask the gentleman who seated us to check on our sides, he acknowledged us, but never approached our waitress. We finally got her attention, by this time we ate about half our entrees (meat). She went over to the computer, checked it, looked thru the garbage for what she had written, and after about 5-10 minutes, came back and said "What sides did you order?" We were pretty much finished eating our entrees, now the restaurant had 12 people in it at 4 tables. We said, "Never mind, we are pretty much finished here" She claimed that it would only take 3 minutes to prepare. Now the table next to us, serviced by the other waitress, received their order, all appetizers or sides, no entrees, which included my much desired mac and cheese, after at least 30 minutes, so we weren't buying the "3 minutes to prepare" speech. Our waitress apologized and said the peach cobbler was on her and were we all happy with that? Three of us miss our sides and one gets free dessert? We asked to see the manager and she sent over the host who sat us after about 10 minutes of him talking to a person who I believe was the owner's wife. We expressed our disappointment with what we expected, per the reviews on Tripadvisor, to be a great meal. I asked for some sort of compensation for our disappointment, something to convince me they would like me to come back for another try. He said he would see what he could do. Our desserts came, the apple pie was good, fresh but a little dry and had the smallest dollop of ice cream you could imagine, all for almost $10! My daughter's bananas foster was delicious, served in a martini glass and also almost $10. My husband enjoyed his peach cobbler, but the pastry on top was rather tasteless. Our waitress brought the check. For some reason they took off the biscuits ($2) and the peach cobbler ($7.25) and they took off my pie ($9.95). My daughter asked for her dessert to be taken off instead of the biscuits so we would all be equally compensated, but the waitress said this is the best she could do. We never did get to see the manager/owner, as we requested. The bill came to $78.66. I put $80 into the sleeve and vowed not to return. It's a shame, the food was good. I'm always in doubt about these occasional bad reviews of a restaurant that has a majority of glowing reviews, now I've experienced first hand how even a highly rated restaurant can ruin a dining experience.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Pat F
Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Must Go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a great little place! The cornbread is the best I ever had. Biscuits were yummy too. I had ox tails, my husband had the pork ribs. Both were excellent. We also had the mac and cheese, collard greens, sauteed spinach and black eyed peas. Everything was authenticly seasoned, freshly cooked. The black eyed peas were not as soft as I like, but thats a choice in recipe that I cannot fault. It's a little pricey as you pay for all your sides and biscuits and cornbread; nothing comes with your entree but is well worth it. We were there early on a Saturday before five, but it looks like you need reservations if you go any later as many of the tables had reserved on them and it is a small place. It is bring your own beer or wine and there is a liquor store right across the street. It is not fancy, but it is a nice decor, clean and modern. Can't wait to go back. They have take out too but I live too far away.

• Visited April 2013