“Need to pick up the pace in the dining room...”
Review of Lighthouse Grill - CLOSED

Lighthouse Grill
Cuisines: Italian, American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
NJ
“Need to pick up the pace in the dining room...”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

First timers stopped in with our 10 year old son (adventurous pallate) on a Sunday in August for dinner. We arrived at the tiny, empty restaurant and were asked if we had reservations. We did not. There were a 2 top and 4 top occupied, thats it. The 4 top were obviously regulars as the solo waitress and hostess spent an inordiate time chatting at their table. Every time the door opened, the hostess ran over yelling across the room "good evening, do you have a reservation"..?? There was outdoor seating and guests were being "pushed" outside (some verbally not satisfied with this solution) due to what appeared to be a staffing issue inside the restaurant. After another couple came and had their BYO opened and served- we were bought bread. Tasty, but it took a long time. Our son ate most of it as we had been there 30 minutes and were JUST THEN served soda and bread. After 15 more minutes, we inquired when our salads would be out and was told "they are making fresh salad now, it should be soon". So, 45 minutes after we arrived, the salads came and mine was in no way "fresh made" unless they usually make their salad with wilted, slimy field greens and one grape tomato. If my son was not so hungry, we would have left at that point. I ordered the fried fishermans platter -with extra tarter sauce-with a substitute of the oysters- chefs choice as to the substitution. My son ordered fried shrimp (from the adult menu, not kids menu) and my husband ordered a fish dish which escapes me at this point. His was very good but small portions and my sons was also small in size, to the point that I questioned if this was the adult portion or from the kids menu. I was told that it was the adult portion. 8 shrimp and a very small portion of fries. My meal came out with an acceptable amount of fish (the sub was clams- as is the norm every place I know of)- and cocktail sause. I asked for extra tartar sauce and was told "we make it in-house and we just ran out". RAN OUT or house made TS in a seafood establishement? Really?? Then I asked to have the chef send me out some mayo and relish and I would "house make" my own. 10 minutes later the waitress brought me out some "fresh made"...and only 1 small silver cup though I had originally asked for EXTRA 30 minutes before. Also worth noting that my veggie side was a great combo of root veggies- excellently prepared but way too small a portion as was my side of rice. Never offered a refill of our sodas and the most people seated during our 1hr 50min stay was 9. I counted, I had lots of time to count. I even had time to "check in" on Facebook between my bread and salad course when I went outside for a cigarette. Returned to find no food YET)

Needless to say, we will not go back. Last weekend we had the opportunity to go out for dinner and enjoy a long, child-free dinner out. We opted to NOT go here again, even though we were offered a coupon to return when we left the last time. Service terrible (could have been an off night), sub-par freshness on salads, running out of ANYTHING housemade is inexcusable- especially tartar sause in a fish restaurant and small portions (typical with seafood but no excuse for scrawny sides-12 fries ? {again- I counted!} will prompt us to eat elsewhere when we are in the area. And thats a shame because the fish was good and the location works well for us.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank SUEZQANGEL

Jackson, New Jersey, United States
“Dining Pleasure”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Have been there twice.. The food is excellent, the service is excellent. Dining room a little tight so reservations should be made to avoid disappointment. Looking forward to many more visits.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Joe L
Monmouth County, NJ
“Sea-worthy Restaurant in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just came in from an awesome dinner at this restaurant. We were in the mood for seafood and everything was fresh and tasty. The seafood bisque is probably one of the best I've ever had. My husband had the Swordfish Lighthouse and he said was outrageous. I had the paella, which wasn't like the traditional Spanish version, but tasty just the same.

Service was slow, but the place was packed. While we weren't in a rush, we could have used a bit more attentiveness.

It's a bit pricey, but we used a restaurant.com coupon, which helped lower the cost. Overall, it was very enjoyable and we plan on going back.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank brndastr2
Jackson, New Jersey
“This is someplace special.”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We have eaten at the Lighthouse Grill many times. The food is excellent; the service is personal and friendly, the owner makes everyone feel welcome. I love their parmesan crusted grouper which is my usual selection. Their seafood on pasta is exceptional. All their dishes are excellent. Dinner comes with salad which is usually enough but if you really want a treat, try the buffalo shrimp and scallops or the Thai calamari. Each of the appetizers we have had have been excellent. This restaurant is BYOB and has outside dining.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank traveldoc2011
“Id go again! N again!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Everything is always great I've eaten there a hundred times! ESPECIALLY the surf n turf! *****