“Wonderful neighborhood restaurant!”

Ranked #53 of 79 Restaurants in Jackson
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Had been wanting to try this for a while after getting a pizza once and chatting with the personable owner while waiting. Called for late Saturday reservation and was told to come on in! Seated immediately by a friendly waitress. Atmosphere was pleasant and nice crowd indicated good things to come. Waitress opened our wine and brought basket of crusty bread and tomato pie. Dish of seasoned oil was a nice touch. Caprese appetizer was lovely and flavorful, plenty to share though my husband didn't want to! Just the right amount of time was left between courses. Entres were portioned well, hot and delicious. They did not sit under a warmer! I will absolutely come back here.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have mixed feelings about Bella Gente because my husband and I have been regulars there for the past 6 months and have had some great--and some not so great--meals there. It's a pizzeria, but also has a nice little dining room and dinner menu. From what I understand, it's changed owners a couple times recently, and we keep noticing changes in the menu, and prices(going up). The ambiance is ok, but they could use some better decor and music. The place is very cold looking--everything is sage green and brown with metal wall sculptures and the lighting is too bright. The music is trendy eurolounge music. We were going almost every week on Sunday around 7 and the place was usually dead, 2 or 3 tables tops. The food and service seem to be hit or miss. On some days the food and service were good, and other days not so good, and the number of people in the place didn't seem to be a factor. The staff there are friendly and professional, for the most part, with the exception of one waitress who I actually saw pull a chair up to one of the tables to talk to some people she knew who were dining there, while she was the only waitress on duty and we were trying to get her attention. Some of the food is really good, especially the calimari, which is always cooked to perfection, but on other occasions I ordered chicken and salmon that were overcooked. For dessert, they have an amazing creme brulee and a dark side of the moon cake that are to die for. After our meal there tonight, however, I don't think we will be returning. The food just wasn't up to standard. The calimari we ordered was missing the balsamic glaze, the breadsticks(which look like sicilian pizza without the cheese, cut into slices) were lukewarm and doughy, the flounder I ordered didn't taste fresh, and the eggplant parm my husband ordered was a soggy mess. Even the lemon slices in our water looked shrivelled, as though they'd been sitting out all day, or maybe 2 days. Addio, Bella Gente. Too bad.

1  Thank JMuz
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Our son treated to dinner at this restaurant to thank us for baby sitting. I had white clam sauce and linguine. Since I was not all that hungry, I decided to share it with my 4 year old grandaughter. A pleasant surprise when the clam dish was already split into to serving dishes.(less whining,you know) There were plenty of clams and pasta for both of us. The clams were fresh, briney,and tender. The garlic sauce was light and yummy. She devoured it and so did I.
My husband had three flavors of ravioli in sauce. He loved it. My son had a veal dish and loved it. We were all very happy and satisfied with out food and Josh, our waiter was fantastic. He was patient and kind to the little ones and the adults. A lovey evening and it's BYOB. Try it...you'll be surprised and pleased. The appitizer - calamari was lightly battered and fresh! wonderful experience.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I stopped in last night for the first time the employees were very friendly. the place had a very cozy and welcoming feel. the food was out of this world it tasted like something you would get at a five star restaurant. Everything tasted that it was fresh and you can tell that it is made to order and not sitting in fridge ready to be warmed up. I will certianly be visiting a lot more often

1  Thank Rich F
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Place was empty on a saturday night. Took forever to get food. Ordered Shrimp Parm, house salad (comes w entree), and a crab melt for an appetizer. Shrimp Parm came out 90 minutes after about 30 minutes spacing between ordering, appetizer, salad, then dinner. Sauce tasted like complete salt water, the shrimp werent even breaded and looked boiled which is completely unacceptable! they literally slapped on one slice of cheese over 5 small boiled shrimp. Salad was very small but was just OK and the crab artichoke melt was actually pretty good but has a watery consistency. I was starving on this night and was in the mood for a good meal.. once dinner came i had 2 bites (pasta and a shrimp), returned the plate, paid for soda and the crab melt I had and left. Place completely skimps out and it shows! I will never go back to this place... ever!

1  Thank city1347