“Great family outing, but better for older kids”

Six Flags Great Adventure
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: This park truly is a great adventure for the whole family, which features 100 rides, shows, special events and theme areas such as Boardwalk, Frontier Adventures, Fantasy Forest and Movietown.
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We took our 7 and 8 year olds for a day trip to Great Adventure, mainly to see the drive through safari. The drive through safari is closing after 9/30/12 but will be renovated and re-opened as more of a guided tour/ride. You will no longer be able to drive through yourself. The safari was really great. The animals come close to you. The more dangerous ones are behind fences but are visible. It was a wonderful alternative to the zoo.

The kids LOVED it. It's tough for little ones to not be able to go on the BIG rides. My kids are at that awkward stage where they're too big for the kiddy rides, but too small for the larger thrill rides. The wooden roller coasters, Rolling Thunder and El Toro were the most exciting rides we could go on. They enjoyed it, but I think El Toro was a bit much for them.

Most of the staff were friendly. I had an unfortunate incident at the M &M skyride where the attendant slammed the door on my thumb, damaging my nail and didn't even acknowledge that I was hurt even though I had cried out in pain. He completely ignored me. Luckily, it was not broken and I was not seriously hurt, but no thanks to him.

One thing is you can't bring any bags on the ride, not even fanny packs or cross body purses. So you have to lock your stuff in lockers. That was annoying.

Their pricing is high, but I was able to get a deal through plum benefits. Deals are to be had, and if you live in the area and like amusement parks, the season pass seemed to be a great deal. We live too far away to make it worth our while to do that. The park is well-maintained. The rest rooms are clean. The food stands all seem to be clean as well. All in all, it's a great place to take the family, though it lacks the old world charm of Rye Playland or Coney Island.

There are newer reviews for Six Flags Great Adventure

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I've lived in NJ my entire life, but have only been to SFGA a handful of times before this year. This year my husband and I decided to get season passes for the 2013 season, and because we got them at the end of August 2012, it included passes through the end of the 2012 season (and Fright Fest!). Fantastic deal. At the time, we did not get the season parking pass, which I regret now, because my 11 year old daughter saw the drink cups on the counter and begged to go with us next time (we didn't take her because she was with her dad, and has a history on not liking roller coasters). We went that weekend, rode most of the big rides, but didn't go crazy running around to them all since we had the passes and knew we would be back. Lines were 30 minutes long at most (keep in mind, it's toward the end of the season, the weekend right before kids go back to school). We avoided having to stash our things in lockers at each ride by wearing cargo pants with pockets that sealed fairly well - brought in IDs, debit cards, our season passes, a small tube of sunblock, a small container of hand sanitizer. THAT'S ALL YOU REALLY NEED. I also advise that you eat before entering the park - the food it outrageously pricy and mediocre at best. We got the cheese fries with bacon topping the first time we were there just to have something and it definitely wasn't worth it.

We took a chance the very next weekend, got my kid a 2013 season pass and went for the season parking pass. WORTH IT. Again, we brought in only the items we really needed, ate before we went in. Already had the refillable drink cups from the last time - they are $12 each if you buy 2 and they refill for free the day you buy them. After that they they are $1 each to refill. The nice thing is that each ride has racks where you can put your drink down (just remember the number of the slot you used, I put a hair clip on my cup's handle, too).

Lines on the second day we went were even shorter - most were 10 minutes or less. This was likely because school had started, and the weather threatened rain. We arrived later in the day - around 2pm, and stayed until 9pm. It did eventually rain near the end, but it did not decrease the fun, we just got wet and who cares? We did get hungry and I got a pretzel while they got a corndog each - pricy, but they did fine holding us over until we left.

As for the rides themselves, I have still not been on them all. My favorite is Bizarro (used to be Medusa until they re-vamped the place to more superhero/villian theme) because it's smooth and has plenty of loops and dips. Superman is fun, Nitro is great for those who like negative Gs. Husband went on Batman and loved it (I decided to wait on that for now, next time though). Went on some of the smaller rides and they were more enjoyable than I expected (the Runaway Mine ride was surprisingly fun, especially in the dark). The Skyway is nice and relaxing to get a view of the park from high above.

Avoid the carnival games - unless you just LOVE those, they are not worth the money to get a cheap toy. Plus it would be just our luck that the kiddo would win one of the enormous plushes that would take up her entire room until I convinced her to donate it or something.

The overall feel of the park is still in transition I think. They are still a bit disjointed with regards to the themes, but I would rather them take time to renovate rather than risk going under by overextending the budget to try and do everything at once. This is NOT as clean and well put together as Disney or Universal Studios, but it's a great destination when you can't afford a vacation down to those.

1  Thank Kairiste
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just near New York City, one hour e thirty minutes by car. I love roller coasters and this theme Park did not disapponit me. Kingda Ka is the tallest roller coaster in the world and the second fastest one. El Toro is the best wooden cost I ever rode.There are also other great rids as Bizarro, Green Lantern, Superman and Nitro, among others. I went o may and there were no lines at all. If you choose to go on the high season, consider buying a flash pass, that gives you fast acess to the rides, skipping the lines. Can´t miss it!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I love kingda ka, nitro and el toro. THe costers are some of the best and the do a fun fright fest in the fall. I have had a season pass since I could walk (I live 10min away). It has been up and down as far as overall feeling but never had its theaming quite right. They cut the size of the park down a lot since I was a kid. They took out a whole section of used to be movie town with some cool raft rides and older bumber cars the loved enterprize. How can they NOT have bumber cars? The park has the feeling latey of a park in financal trouble and couner cutting and down sizeing.
Little things that they do here I have never expirenced in any other of the maney theame parks really me off.
They charge $13.00 for a refillable cup and then do not let you leave it or anything like bags or even hats, on the side of the ride while on it and tell you to put into a locker for $5 up front then $1 to open each time TWF is that all about. They are so hard up, that they will not give you a cover or a straw for any drink you get, I guess they hope you spill it while pushing through the crowds and have to buy another.
There are many times when buses come in from some inner city areas and the people sometimes over run the place cutting the lines an threating anyone who sayes anything to them. The employees just let them go becuause they will just make a seen by yelling nonsence and throwing themselfs on the floor. I Just leave at this point but I feel bad for a family that spent a weeks pay for their only chance to go that year and have to put up with it. I understand the park can't control who enters the park but I just wish they would stand up to the trash and kick them out. But I have never seen any thing happen to cutters in this park to the point I feel dumb standing in line.

2  Thank Joe S
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I enjoy riding roller coasters, and have been wanting to ride Kindga Ka for quite some time. I did accomplish that, but only after a day filled with a lot of frustrations.

Here come some nitty-gritty details. We arrived at the park, and paid $22 for general parking (yikes!). Thankfully, we had purchased our tickets online ahead of time. The first thing we rode was the new Sky Screamer. It was OK, but not worth the wait, in my opinion. Next, we rode Superman and Batman. We waited in line for 90 minutes each. At this point, we decided we wanted to get a fast pass. We went to the fast pass place, but decided by this point in the day (3 PM), it probably wasn't worth it for what you got. Then, we rode the Dark Knight, which there was almost no line for. After we got off, we realized why! Then, we rode Nitro. It was probably a little over an hour wait, but we liked it and rode it twice. We also rode Skull Mountain while we were in the area. We wanted to ride some other coasters, but time was running short, and I wanted to be sure to get to Kingda Ka. We had visited KK earlier in the day, but it was closed down. We returned and got in line at 6:30 to ride. The line was about 90 minutes. We rode it twice, which took us to park closing time.

OK, a few more general thoughts. I honestly feel there are a lot of things Six Flags (and theme parks in general) could do to make things more enjoyable for their guests overall. Some places already do some of these things. First - have a "single rider line". This way, if you have an odd number of guests in a group, you fill in with riders from the single rider line, which means every seat gets filled for every ride. Next, have ways to enforce your "line jumpers will be ejected from the park without refund" policy. Place signs throughout the queue line and have a phone number to call or text. Also, consider having someone at the entrance who issues tickets with numbers on them. Have someone at the entrance to the station collecting those tickets, and ensuring they are in numerical order. Or, have someone stationed to "watch" the queue line for people breaking in line. Third, it would be helpful if employees could help to speed things along. This seems to be the worst in restaurants. It's like nobody realized people were actually going to show up today and purchase food. It would also be nice to have more seating areas in and around the restaurants, and maybe someone to come by and clean them off occasionally.

I enjoy visiting theme parks, but this was one lesser enjoyable visits I've had. I don't think I would return.

3  Thank Big80s