“Comfortable Rooms, Appalling Customer Service”

Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Iselin
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stay here with work, and I have to say on each visit I am left a little disappointed.
On my last visit (August 2013) I ordered room service. After waiting for 45 minutes, I phoned room service again to enquire as to its whereabouts, as I had been told that it would only take 30 minutes. After an hour it finally arrived, but it was the wrong order. By this point it was 1030pm and I just wanted to eat and go to bed. The correct order finally turned up at 11pm, an hour and a half after I had first ordered it. The lady who I spoke to was very helpful to be fair, and promised she would deduct something off the bill for the inconvenience. When I went down to reception the next morning, I was confronted by the rudest receptionist I have ever met. She argued with me about the room service bill, stating I had eaten it. To which I replied that I had only eaten half as it had taken so long to arrive that by the time it eventually turned up I wasn't really hungry anymore. She basically told me to go away and she would speak to the manager, then they would contact me. 5 hours later I had still heard nothing so I very bravely ventured back down to reception where the very disgruntled receptionist told me that they would deduct half off the bill. I thought that this was a fair compromise so I agreed. Whilst I appreciate the gesture I do not appreciate being confronted with attitude when I was more than polite. I guess when you work in a customer service environment you take bad customer service very personally!
My second visit was this month (March 2014). When I arrived at the hotel I was exhausted after a long, hard days work and wanted to go to the bar to have. Drink to unwind before bed. My experience was far from relaxing, it was more like a challenge. When I dared to ask the bartender for a glass of wine, she looked me up and down with such disdain and barked that she would need to see ID. I have no problem with this, being 25 it's a compliment! But there are ways and means of speaking to people. She slammed the glass down on the bar with such a force it's a wonder it didn't break, and threw the bill at me. She is the single most rude and unpleasant person I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. When I wanted to order some food and another drink, she looked at me like I had just asked for her first child. Her manner was so aggressive, and was more concerned with her friends that were sitting at the end of the bar.
If you don't worry about customer service, then great, this hotel is for you. Not sure about the slightly creepy pictures in the lobby but hey, not everyone is going to like it! The rooms are big and the beds very comfortable. It's just such a shame that the staff let this establishment down so badly.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Denise H, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Laura B

Thank you for the time you took to inform us regarding your latest stay. It is feedback such as yours that we sincerely seek in order to give us the opportunity to make your next visit a flawless experience.

Please accept our sincerest apologies. Realize we take your information regarding your lounge experience seriously and will utilize your feedback as training and coaching for our staff. Our hotel wide goal is to exceed all your expectations and from your correspondance not only did we not exceed your expectations, did not meet / exceed our own expectations as well.

I was very glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and bedding accomdations and look forward to meeting you when you return to the Renaissance. If you wish to contact me offline please don't hesitate to email me:

denise.haddad@renaissancewoodbridge.com

Warm Regards - Denise
Director of Operations - Renaissance Woodbridge

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed over the Christmas and new year period, the staff were so nice and welcoming. The hotel is near a huge shopping mall and with easy access to new York city by train, bus etc.. The rooms were really big we had a small suite with a huge bathroom. The shop in the hotel had lots of American candy which we Brits crave for and drinks like Arizona tea etc. The decor of the hotel was amazing it was like being in a art gallery, every turn was like being in a diffrent room with crazy styles if seats and tables. The breakfast buffet had a wide variety of foods and freshly made The heated indoor pool and outdoor pools were nice, and the gym was a nice touch. Would defiantly go back to this hotel! It's in such a great location out of the crazy city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I returned to the Renaissance Woodbridge late February, and the staff and the rooms were, as usual, wonderful. I was a member of the group holding its annual cat show at this locale, which is excellent for this type of event. Management and staff were highly accommodating, professional, and delightful as ever to work with.

The individual guest rooms are spacious, well appointed, and much to my delight, had a featherbed! The hotel is fairly quiet, even with larger groups present, and the in-house a restaurant also provides excellent food. Cleaning staff is top-notch, the amenities in the room or very good, including a 42 inch flat screen TV. Soundproofing is decent, and noise from neighbors was totally unnoticeable.

Unable to get a reservation for Saturday night at the restaurant, the bartender, a delightful young woman whose name I unfortunately did not get, was fantastic in getting the chef to provide us with take out in a very timely fashion. It was just as well, because I really did not have the Oomph to sit and have dinner and preferred to lounge on my bed watching TV, resting and having a good time.

Unfortunately, in my estimation, the public spaces… mostly the lobby… are decorated in what I think are fairly tacky portraits of popular stars and give the the hotel the appearance of an Atlantic City casino. What was their interior decorator thinking?

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Suziewrite
Reviewed February 26, 2014

40 minute wait for my room when I arrived at the hotel at 9.30pm. I was offered a complimentary drink at the bar and free breakfast. The barmaid was rude and borderline abusive! She slammed my drink on the bar with no please or thank you. Apart from the omelette chef the staff in the restaurant were equally rude. Carpet in my room was dirty and plug sockets dangerous.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My employer puts us in this hotel. It's in a great location and has lots if shopping and restaurants nearby. I had some great room service. Hot wings and a great house salad for around $24. The wings even came in their own heated insert to keep them warm. A great touch. The bar and hotel have a welcoming vibe.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed for New Years wedding and had a great experience. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to check In early. I used the special requests section when booking online and they fulfilled every request without me having to remind them at check In. For example I requested a fridge and one was ready and available. I stayed I the suite with bride as well and it was very roomy. Private bedroom with walk in closet and separate living room and dining table. The jacuzzi tub was nice also In the suite.
The bar was excellent, and the wedding was perfect. We had a great experience and would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Moved to this hotel from another local hotel. . . . HUGE improvement. Great food, clean, comfortable, slept like a baby. To top it off they even retrieved my car and cleaned the snow off of it this morning while i had my breakfast. . . . unbelievable. Multiple hotel employees/reps asked me how my stay was and if there was anything they could do for me - and they meant it which was the most important. This is definitely one of those hotels that inact you to write a review and return every time. Great job Renaissance!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iselin
Apa Hotel Woodbridge
#1 of 4 in Woodbridge
Holiday Inn Express Woodbridge
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center
Residence Inn Woodbridge Edison/Raritan Center

Been to Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!