“Too Jersey for me”

Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Iselin
Reviewed October 2, 2007

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and when I come to this area again I will stay at the Marriott Courtyard instead. The website claims that it has been voted the best hotel in Central Jersey but fails to mention that the police have deemed it unsafe to use their parking lot. The first mention of this is when you go through the doors (not automatic doors which is frustrating with luggage) and they have computer generated signs telling you the parking lot is not safe. When you get to your room you are once again greeted by a special note from management strongly discouraging you from leaving anything in your car as the police have had a number of thefts in this parking lot and the hotel of course is not responsible for that. The hotel could hire a security guard at least temporarily but apparently has decided to not invest in that for its customers. Because of that I will stay in safer areas and not this hotel in future visits to the area.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel

Reviewed August 21, 2007

I traveled with a tour group and my room, along with fees for baggage handling, were paid in advance. The baggage handlers were obviously angry that they were expected to move our luggage from the bus to our rooms. They literally threw our suitcases onto the carts. My suitcase was used as a doorstop at the hotel entrance. Our luggage was left unattended in the hotel lobby for quite some time. One lady's suitcase was lost and she thought it was stolen. The desk workers said that they had searched everywhere, including unoccupieed rooms. Her suitcase was found the next day (after we left the hotel); it had been in an unoccupied room. We were told that breakfast would be ready at 6:30 AM. The front desk said, when asked about breakfast, that their schedule indicated we would have breakfast at a much later time. So, we had to wait for breakfast, a delay that affected the rest of our day. Needless to say, I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Benson5
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Had a one night quick business trip to the hotel. Got in late, left early, so didn't get to use many of the amenities.

Got a king non-smoking room. Nice size, comfortable bed, everything was clean with a good selection of TV channels.

Had a few small issues:
- As mentioned in another review, the shower head is pretty low.
- A little scary seeing all the warnings about not leaving valuables in the car.
- There was a minor incident in the bar with a guest who was being belligerent after having too much to drink. I missed it, but nonetheless doesn't give a great feeling about the place.

Overall, a decent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2007

I had stayed at this property before and had a good experience. However, this time we were left waiting in the lobby for over an hour. We were checking in far past the scheduled check in times given by the hotel. However, there were no rooms ready and we were left sitting in the lobby with our bags for over an hour. The staff at the front desk took my phone number to call when the room was ready, but then never called. I only found out a room was finally ready when I returned to the desk to ask for myself. The rooms themselves are fine and we even used the exercise room a tiny bit. However, the last thing you want when you crawl out of a car that you've been driving for hours is to sit in a crowded lobby for a long time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I stayed at the Sheraton Woodbridge Place/Iselin in early June '07 at a discount rate via an opaque booking service where you name your own price. I was initially offput by the tacky paper notices taped to the doors of the lobby (and re-iterated by another notice in the guest room) about theft in the parking lots, and by room-service trays littering the hallways (they were later removed). Check-in was a breeze, and I was assigned a nonsmoking king room at the far end of a looong hallway. But boy was it a nice room--a huge corner room!

The bedding was fantastic, wireless internet was free, in-room coffee maker was well stocked, and had ceramic mugs, bathroom was well equipped with shampoo/conditioner/lotion, and plentiful clean towels. There was a work desk, a large TV with many channels, and the room was clean and nicely decorated. Curtains worked well to block out daylight.

The valet service was also notable and knowledgeable, as he directed me to a nearby repair shop for some minor auto repairs I happened to need.

I would definitely recommend this hotel again, and be happy to stay here in the future. This is apparently a favorite venue for weddings, as I observed many happy people, but was not bothered by them. Finally I will HIGHLY recommend that you obtain the excellent driving directions from the hotel's website, as it can be a bit of a challenge to navigate the NJ streets.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2007

When you first walk in, the lobby is pretty impressive, with a fountain and large glass atrium. During check in the staff was very courteous. The entire hotel was clean, and the rooms were a pretty decent size. VERY comfortable beds. There is a gym with nice equipment, unlike some places that advertise a fitness center that turns out to be a beat-up treadmill from 1973. There is wireless access throughout, but if you don't bring a computer there are 3 PCs with internet access available in the business center 24 hours a day, free of charge. They offer a shuttle service which will take you to and from the Metropark train station about a mile or two away and from there you can catch the New Jersey Transit trains into Manahattan. Round trip price was about $14 (off-peak) and the trip is about 45 minutes. The concierge will be able to give you the train schedule, as well as maps of the two shopping malls nearby. Just be carefull, the hotel shuttle stops running at around 11pm, so if you catch one of the late trains you will have to take a cab back.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank cptl
Reviewed November 12, 2006

My experience with this hotel was awful. We were attending a wedding along with about 100 guests.

First, we had booked a non-smoking room, but apparently the hotel was full and they had given out all their non-smoking rooms!!! I belong to the Starwood Rewards Program and my room was marked as such, and was supposedly in the non-smoking wing. But the room absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke!!! I opened the window and called the front desk and demanded that they do something. They sprayed and put in a air purifier, but of course when I came back from the wedding, the room still reeked!! When you book a non-smoking room that's what you should get. What a joke!!

Second, there was a large wet spot on the carpet in front of the TV and desk, when I called the front desk to report this, instead of sending up a wet-dry vacuum or a carpet cleaner, they sent a housekeeper up with a bath mat to cover it!!! How lame!!!

Third, the shower heads are ridiculously low. I'm 6 foot tall and the shower head was at mid chest level. I had to duck down to shampoo my hair!! I guess maybe they thought Napoleon was using the room!!

Fourth, the front desk employees were rude and clueless.

In conclusion, stay far away from this dump!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ravensdad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iselin
Apa Hotel Woodbridge
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge
Holiday Inn Express Woodbridge
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center
Residence Inn Woodbridge Edison/Raritan Center

Been to Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!