“THE BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER!!!!”
Review of Jose Tejas

Jose Tejas
Ranked #1 of 69 Restaurants in Iselin
Cuisines: Mexican, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Simply the best of the best. No matter what you order, the food is always great. The Service is phenomenal!!! Atmosphere is wonderful. Price is extraordinary. This is not only the best restaurant in Iselin, it's the best in all of New Jersey!!

There are newer reviews for Jose Tejas

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great prices...horrible waiting time...parking space limited. Reservations not allowed. Extremely loud. Great food.

1  Thank ita m
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We were shocked to find this place ridiculously packed at 6:45pm on a random Tuesday. First of all, it's difficult to get into. If you're travelling north on Route 1, DO NOT miss the turn, or you'll have to turn around several times to get back. Turn as soon as you see their big "EAT" sign after Woodbridge mall. Second, allow time for parking. I drove around the parking lot several times before giving up and parking across the street in a different lot. It was insane. When I finally made it inside, I had to wait to put my name in and was told 25-30 minutes. It was actually another 40 before we were seated. We were actually seated in the side dining room, which had a bit of a draft on the thirty-degree night, but it was mostly fine.

Our waiter was extremely nice and competent. He did everything right, being prompt with his service but allowing us time to linger. He was very friendly, too. I was less impressed by the menu. I'd heard great things but nothing stood out to me on the menu. We ate our complimentary chips and salsa (very good and refilled without our asking) and decided what to order. Our table got: chorizo dip to start, rice and beans, vegetable quesadilla, beef burro, and a bacon cheeseburger. Quite across the board. The food came after a normal amount of time and everyone was satisfied.

The chorizo dip was good and very meaty, but a small portion. At most places, I find I don't have enough tortillas for it, but I had plenty. The cheeseburger and burro and rice and beans were all standard. My friends liked them. I had the vegetable quesadilla, which was OK. It said "assorted vegetables" and they were definitely assorted! Included with the normal onions, peppers, and mushrooms, this quesadilla had broccoli and cauliflower. It was weird and not great. The quesadilla did come with salsa and sour cream and I paid an extra dollar for guacamole. It was all average.

We were all indeed full after the meal and I was the only one with leftovers. We lingered a bit and were shocked that our bill was only $40! It was a good price, but nothing special in terms of food. Again, the whole place was just average with everything. I have no idea why it was so crowded. Next time, we'll go to the local hole-in-the-wall with better food. Or...at least make a reservation in advance!

1  Thank SheyJosie
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

we travelled a long way to try to eat here. i would say it was okay, place was lively, service was so-so. there was a sizeable wait line so i guess people love going to this place. food was okay, nothing to marvel at. maybe worth trying if your from around the place. i would not come back just for this though...

Reviewed February 23, 2014

First up, if you have a party of more than 13, this is not the place to be. First the wait times easily will Be more than 2 hours, they will not be able to give you one table for everyone to sit together. You will have to sit in two groups, which to me defeats the whole purpose of dining out with your friends or family. The manager we saw was totally inconsiderate to whatever genuine concerns you might have. They think that because their food is good, patrons will put up whatever nonsense management has to offer. One more thing, if you ask for a table for a group of let's say 15, they will not only give you two tables, they will not seat you until you have all 15 people they can see. In other words, if you have 13 people in house and 2 people are outside looking for parking, they will not seat you until they can see all 15 people. This is also a problem because now the front is unnecessarily overcrowded. I have not seen more bureaucracy in any restaurant, no matter how good the restaurant it is. In short, if you have lot of time on your hands and have a small group, this place is fine. Don't even consider for big groups...

1  Thank Neeraj N