“Better than reviews reported”

Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Sarnia, Canada
“Better than reviews reported”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in November 2013. We booked it because of the extended parking available. Being from Canada, we had no idea of where it was or the area surrounding it. The hotel pictures were fine so I booked. Later I read the reviews and wondered about my choice. As it turned out, we had nothing to worry about as we spent a comfortable night there and left the new vehicle [with canadian plates] for 9 days while we took a cruise. People on the ship told us we would be lucky to have a car when we got back, but it was there in one piece with 4 tires and the motor so we were happy. You can't believe everything you read on these sites but this is genine. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and the breakfast was good...great price plus extended parking was only $6 per day. When we came back to pick up the vehicle, they allowed us to google our route to Lancaster Pennsylvania and print it off from their computer so that was a plus. We had a good experience. Diane

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane C
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. It is always great to hear the great experiences our guests have at our property. I'm extremely happy to hear you found our staff friendly and our hotel up to standards. I would also like you to know we take the responsibility our guests entrust us with very seriously. The property is surrounded by 24 hour surveillance cameras strategically placed to cover every inch of the property! There is also a Front Desk Staff member monitoring the cameras at all ours of the day! I Thank You once again for choosing our property, and we hope to see you again on your next trip!

Viridiana A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We were stranded at Newark Airport after missing our flight back to Europe. We did not want to spend a fortune, so we chose ABVI. Everythig went great...we just called the hotel again when arriving at the Hotel Pick Up station and asked for the shuttle. It just took him 15 minutes. The normal ride to the hotel from EWR is 20 minutes. The shuttle was very comfy and the driver very nice and helpful with the luggage; so was the staff inside the hotel. Rooms are huge, beds more than comfy and everything was totally clean. There's no bar or restaurant but you can order something from a whole lot of providers and they'll bring it to your room. Breakfast is included in the nightly rate. However, we were so exhausted that we slept in. As we saw later in the breakfast room, there was a waffle iron and they served eggs as well. So it should have been quite good. The guests in the room above were quite noisy in the morning...u hear when they walk along the room. So ear plugs might be nice to have if u do not stay in the upper level. Otherwise, best accomodation throughout our whole apartment stay in Miami and NYC :-)

Room Tip: We had to separate queen size beds for 2 people and a corner with a nice sofa and table, I do not kn...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
I would like to sincerely Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. Nothing compares to the satisfying feeling we get when we read great experiences such as your own. I would like to apologize for the noise you had to endure above your room, we are trying to work a solution for that. I Thank You once again for choosing our property and I hope to invite you back the next time you happen to be near!

Best regards!

Kalmar, Sweden
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Good service with free shuttle all day from Newark. Large rooms clean and well-planned. Hotel somewhat old in style.
Free good breakfast and nice staff there gave good service.
Reception night staff no problem for us but other guest had a dispute maybe due to the staff English knowledge limitiation

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
I would like to Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. I'm extremely happy to hear of your satisfaction with our guest rooms, service, staff, and location! It's definitely an exiting feeling when we meet a guests standards. I would also like to Thank You for letting us know of the issues with the night staff, definitely something worth looking into. Thank You once again for your valuable insight, Hopefully we can see you again when passing by!

Pasadena, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We missed our flight to LAX and it was the last flight. Changing to another flight out of JFK or LGA would mean $200 penalty for each one of us (me and my husband). We decided to spend overnight at a hotel and put up with some inconveniences. Naturally we looked for a hotel that wouldn't cause us arm and leg otherwise it doesn't make sense. ABVI is good value for an overnight stay. Room is spacious, clean. The carpet was recently changed, so there is no smell. They were putting in new carpet in the hallway. Free breakfast included. There is no lobby sitting area which is fine since this is just for O/N. Free wifi or wired internet access. However, the wifi access in the room first assigned to us was very weak and we got disconnected every few minutes. The receptionist was very accomodating, first getting us a cable for wired internet. However, we couldn't plug it anywhere. The receptable was broken. In the end, she moved us to another room on the 3rd floor. She was very pleasant, apologetic and helpful all this time. The next day, when she returned for her shift, she saw us and asked us if everything is OK. The only negative thing about this hotel is the location. Not a very nice neighborhood to walk alone, and nothing much to see or buy.

Room Tip: Higher floors have strong wifi access.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. Everyone specially, Carolina, The person in charge of your check in, would like to Thank You for providing us with your valuable insight. I'm always happy to hear the good experiences from our guest, specially with the value of our rooms and facilities. I would like you to know the carpet renovations have been completed, and I would like to invite you back to enjoy these changes along with us. Thank you once again for choosing our property!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Booked this through booking.com as I needed a hotel last minute for an early flight out of Newark airport.
This came up with mixed reviews,but for one night thought it would be ok,BIG MISTAKE.
As other hotels near the airport,this offered a shuttle to and from hotel.I waited an hour for the shuttle to pick me up from airport,while enquiring about this while waiting,a very rude member of staff told me to JUST wait as driver must be stuck in traffic(note hotel is only a 10mins drive and other hotels' shuttles arrived every 5-10mins)
When driver finally turned up-no greeting,let alone an apology-drove back to hotel where a customer had also been waiting for more than an hour to be dropped at airport and there in front of us,the receptionist asks the driver to drop this gentleman,to what the driver shouts back "I'm not going anywhere" and they both started arguing.The receptionist then says to that customer that driver refused to drive to airport so he would have to arrange for something else,at this point I'm really worried as my flight was at 6am the next morning and they seem to have only one driver on duty,who decides when he does and doesn't work.
Still,checked in and asked to pay cash as I didn't want my uk card to be charged so I paid and was checked in.
The room looked clean enough and very spacious.Decided to take a nap and was awaken within 2h with an extremely itchy and irritated skin-there were BED BUGS.There and then I decided to pack up and leave.I went downstairs to complain about the bed bugs and the receptionist didn't even looked surprised nor did she apologise.She asked me to wait as there were people waiting to be checked in.While processing my refund,a couple that was checked in came back within minutes to complain that the room they were given wasn't clean,with beds undone,seems no housekeeping after the previous occupiers,I was gobsmacked at the level of indifference again displayed by receptionist.Now I had my money back,I went for the Crowne Plazza as couldn't even contemplate trying another "value " chain,eventhough the Plazza was ridiculously expensive last minute.
Now,as if this whole experience wasn't bad enough,a couple of days later,I received an email from booking.com to let me know that the credit card I used to book the room will be charged a full night rate as America's best value inn reported me as a "no show",I was getting charged a full night stay.Eventually got it sorted through booking.com as I offered to send the refund receipt(which by the way I had to ask for at the time).So even after refunding me cash,they tried to get this money back by charging my credit card,aweful.
Sorry for long review,needless to say I will NOT recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. Using your review along with other guests opinions we have located the troublesome employees who had the audacity to show such disrespect to you and to one another; both have been replaced with better staff members of the Front Desk Staff and driver's that have been trained on guest relations. After reading your complaint we took immediate action quarantined the room, called professional services, and inspected all the rooms on the floor you where located to ensure the safety of all our guests. The management Staff along with myself have scheduled a weekly inspection for any type of pests in the premisses.
The booking site of your choice unfortunately made the mistake of charging you without our knowledge. I assure you when one of our guests decide they don't like the premisses for any reason at all %100 money back is warranted if it complies with our rules and regulations. You did the right thing by sorting it out with the booking site itself as we work as a separate unit. I hope this short explanation was able to clarify things for you. I would like to take a minute of your time and invite you back to enjoy the many changes our property has been exposed to since September!!!

Folsom, California
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked at the Best Value Inn due to the low price and decent reviews. All in all it would be a fine hotel for a quick in and out trip if you fly into Newark. I stayed for three nights which is definitely not what this hotel is designed for.

There were plenty of positives associated with the room. The room itself was large. I had two queen size beds and a sleeper sofa. The room could accommodate six people if that were the need. There is a refrigerator and a wide screen HD television. TV had HBO and several channels to choose from. A large desk with power nearby is great to work. Best of all there is a free shuttle to and from the airport. They do offer breakfast which is very limited.

The hotel had some misses as well. First, the neighborhood is not too good. There are really no dining options in the area unless you have a car and no options given for delivery. Not a problem if you are just in for one night. Housekeeping (which seems to be a dying service) was not exactly spot on. Food from the previous guest was left in the refrigerator. The hotel does not have a safe and given the area one would not want to leave anything of value in the room (I had to slug my laptop through Manhattan). The hotel offers free WIFI but the connection, when you can get it, is about as bad as dial up. Lastly, the elevator did not work on the day of check out which would be ok but for my two suitcases and backpack I was handling.

While the shuttle was free I used it four times, two of which were not good experiences. I had two drivers for the trips and neither were trained on communicating with the guests. It seemed like they were put out to do their job. On my arrival night I called the front desk who did not tell me that I had to take Airtrain to P4. I called back and was informed and that the shuttle was on its way. From the time of my first call it took an hour to get the shuttle. I don’t understand how this happens at 1:00 AM when there are no other travelers. The second day I went to the desk at 7 to see about getting the shuttle at 8. When I boarded the shuttle at 8 the driver asked if I checked with the front desk which of course I did an hour before. Driver went to see the desk attendant and apparently had no recollection of my visit 60 minute prior. Driver informed me of this but told me not to worry about it. I don’t know why he brought it up then. Driver was on the phone the trip over to the airport. My point with the shuttle is that neither driver had any customer service training whatsoever.

If I need a quick overnight stay in Newark again I would consider this hotel as it is a spacious inexpensive room . I would not consider it for more than one night for the other reasons stated above.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank You for taking the time to write us such an insightful and eye opening review. As a guest relations manager reading your review saddens me and encourages me to work harder to make these changes happen for you. The limited breakfast was organized by our management staff to provide the essential and to use our resources on other facilities such as complementary shuttle services. Our rooms are inspected daily to ensure the best quality possible. We have also installed powerful routers to cover every corner of our five floors!!!

Security is the number one priority in this hotel, I assure everyone of my guests that the only way to get inside a room is with your room key which automatically expires once you claim it lost or with the emergency room key. Also the cameras that cover the inside and outside of the hotel are being monitored by our Front Desk Staff twenty four hours a day seven days a week.
When things break our mission is to get things up and running as fast as we possibly can.

Last, our drivers have been replaced by well trained professionals who love to help our guests with everything they're able to. I would like to apologize once again for the inconveniences you experienced with us and I would love to invite you back to enjoy the many changes our property has gone through since September!!

lONDON uK
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We choose this hotel because it was close to the airport and within easy access to downtown New york.What a big mistake. The location was unsafe for us to go out at night and this was from one of the locals. I might have guessed when I went into reception as the area had glass up to the ceiling protecting the reception staff. We had long waits for shuttle service and some of the drivers didn't bother to get out of the van to put the steps down as it was a like getting onto a horse climbing into the vav. The dinning room was too small for the volume of guesta but the dinning room lady was very nice and looked after us well. Reception staff were also vey nice and helpful. Our rooms did smell of smoke even though it was a non smoking room. The first room we were allocated to had someone already there and they allocated us to another room. It was clean and the cleaner was also very nice and polite. I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this hotel to any of my family of friends. Lance Perkins UK

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PerkLANCEPERKINS
Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. First I would like to offer my most sincere apology for your experience while staying at our property. Your insight is extremely valuable to us! That's why we have replaced our employees for driver's that are better trained to help guests as much as they can. Our rooms are monitored daily for a better quality stay adding penalties to guests who refuse to follow the NONSMOKING regulations on nonsmoking rooms. Our dinning room is designed to give more room to areas where is needed the most such as our guest rooms. Overall I would like to apologize once again for the inconveniences during your stay with us, nonetheless I would Love to invite you back to enjoy the many changes done to our property since September!!

Viridiana A.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Newark Central Business District
Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel

Been to Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport? Share your experiences!