“Never again!!!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
“Never again!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I come from out of town and someone recommended I stay here...but I should smack the person who recommended me the floor felt like it was about to cave in the room smell of old smoke the bed headboard broke so my friends who came to visit me the front desk made them leave remind you i'm in the middle of two rooms and they both had prostitutes coming in and out and on top of that it was a roach on the room.I didn't get any sleep check out time at 11am I left at 6...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank thugmrs
parkwayhospitality, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We are very sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your lodging expectations.

While we do fail at meeting our guest satisfaction objectives occasionally, I want to reassure you that this is not what a far majority of our guests experience. My genuine belief is that your experience was NOT the norm but rather an anomaly. As you mentioned in your review, you stayed with us because this hotel was recommended by someone you hold in high regard. I am assuming that your acquaintance stayed with us previously and was satisfied with the level of service, and only then would have recommended our hotel to you. Moreover, I want to assure you that our management and staff review each aspect of the guest experience, and we were very recently (last month) recognized for providing an exemplary guest experience in a recent franchise inspection, and the hotel was awarded the highest quality and cleanliness rating possible.

With respect to the pest control issues you raised, we employ an overly aggressive pest control program (we have been praised and even asked why so stringent, by the local and state health department during annual site visits). To my knowledge, we have never received any roach complaints. Nonetheless, we have raised the issue with our pest control company and we will work to resolve any issues to the extent that they exist.

Again, I apologize for not meeting your lodging expectations, but my staff and I sincerely hope you give us another chance at earning your patronage so we can prove that our hotel offers a superior value proposition amongst all our peer Newark Airport hotels.

A. Naik - Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
brooklyn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I don't know how anyone could say this is a nice hotel! This hotel is terrible I wouldn't want a stray dog off the street to stay here let alone a human being. First of all the hotel is in the heart of the ghetto! when I arrived at the hotel there were police cars outside of the hotel. When I walk into the hotel there are police officers in the lobby? I ask is this where I check in? The officers said yes, you scared? I'm like of course! They said its bad around here we have to make our rounds to make sure nothing jumps off! Say what now? I was supposed to be on a non smoking floor, yet the cigarette smoke and marijuana smoke was overwhelming. In my first room, the smoke detector was removed, the lock on the door was broken, the chair was filthy, there were stains all over the carpet and walls. I asked for another room. The smoke detector was removed yet again, the carpet and chairs were filthy and the toilet was broken.... I said to myself am I being punked!!!!!!! The next room was equally terrible, but hey at least the lock on the door worked and the toilet flushed! At 4:00 in the morning I was awakened by banging on one of the other room doors and the staff saying open the door. You have 5 minutes to get out before I call the police.... Say what now? DO NOT STAY HERE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Unless of course you are a pimp, crack head or a prostitute!! Then hey this hotel might be right up your alley!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Deni J
Hello,

With respect to your concerns about a constant police presence, the hotel works very closely with local law enforcement to ensure that our guests are afforded the highest levels of safety while staying with us. While we recognize that the hotel is located in an Urban environment, and this may be unsettling to some customers, all our guests can rest comfortably knowing that the hotel employs many safety measures. Along with being provided a constant vigilance from the local police department, we occasionally have police officers stationed in the hotel. I stress that these steps are taken to provide the highest quality of safety for every hotel guest (similar to police officers stationed in many banks). We apologize if the sight of law enforcement officials was an unsettling sight, but we consider guest safety our number one responsibility and take precautions accordingly.

Regarding the in room issues you raised, we do have room furniture and fixtures which may be a bit dated, but we are in the process of addressing several of the items you mentioned in your email via an upcoming renovation. We prioritize all renovations based on customer feedback, and you can be assured that all the issues you raised will be addressed in the very near future. We have also spoken with our Maintenance and Housekeeping departments to ensure that repeated failures for basic room areas such as missing smoke detectors, are addressed prior to guests checking into the room.

Again, please accept my sincerely apologies for failing to meet your lodging. We recognize that every customer arrives at a hotel with certain expectations, and we did not meet those during your stay. We will be working very hard in the future to earn back your trust in future visits.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I needed a room for a long overnight connection in Newark and this was very good, especially for the price. The shuttle that picked up from Newark was just a minivan with some posters in the window so be careful to look out for this when you're waiting. It is in a strange area but the shuttle is door to door which is great. I did feel a bit uncomfortable in the lobby but the service was quick and friendly.
My room was very clean and big and I was thankful for an excellent shower after a long day's travel. I needed to leave at 3 and the shuttle was very prompt. It's only about 10 mins to Newark.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Muesli_f
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

This place is located across the street from a ghetto, with drug addicts and prostitutes surounding the area. I sent my brother here w/his little boy for a quick overnight before catching a flight. I am so upset that they had to stay here and I feel so guilty for sending them here. They should really tell you the neighborhood hotels are in before you go there. He also said the room smelled of car fluids and when he asked for a different room, they wouldn't accomodate him.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank epc1212
parkwayhospitality, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Hello,

I am very disappointed to hear that our staff was unable to address and resolve all of your concerns in a timely and effective manner. Customers consistently rate our staff highly in on-site surveys for being personable, helpful and empathetic. Moreover, our hotel consistently ranks at the highest in franchise QA inspections which does take odor and cleanliness into consideration. We have obviously failed in our responsibility of providing you with a pleasurable experience and for that, please accept my sincerely apologies.

With regard to the safety concerns you raised, while we understand and respect your opinion of the neighborhood which the hotel is in, I want to take an opportunity to let you know that we do consider the safety of guests our most important priority and responsibility. While we can not influence circumstances outside of management's control (e.g. Surrounding neighborhood), we do employ a 24-hour staff which monitors the hotel grounds for guest safety using various technologies and procedures. We also work closely with local authorities to ensure that our guests are afforded the utmost security and comfort while staying with us.

On behalf of the hotel's employees and management, I want to convey my humble apologies to you because we were not able to meet your lodging expectations. My staff and I sincerely hope you give us another chance at earning your patronage so we can prove that our hotel offers a superior value proposition amongst all our peer Newark Airport hotels.

Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We walked into the hotel at 9:40pm after calling ahead to confirm they had rooms available. I was told the rate would be $70 for the night on the phone. We went to the front desk (which is covered by glass), and told the man I had just called and we would like a room for the NIGHT. He took our information and the credit card. It ended up totaling $53, I thought fantastic! The room was clean except for the electrical wires that were hanging out behind the toilet. We were heading into NYC the next morning and needed to get up pretty early. So, the phone rings at 12:45am and the man tells us that it is our checkout time. I was very upset, apparently the original front desk guy only booked us for 4 hours when I had asked for a room for the night. Needless to say I was so upset I made it clear it was their mistake not mine and I refused to pay another $53 for the rest of the night. He gave us the "best" rate of an additional $2, which the housekeeper came and picked up at 1am. Then, at 3am some random guy was knocking on the hotel room door and all he said was "oops wrong room". I was very upset and I refuse to ever step foot into another one of these hotels.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel unless you only need a room for 4 hours...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bknute3
parkwayhospitality, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
On behalf of the hotel's management and staff, I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience while staying at the hotel. While we strive to make every guest's stay at our hotel pleasant, we do fail to meet this standard occasionally.

I am personally extremely disappointed to hear of the issues you had during your stay. The issues you faced are unacceptable and management will review guest procedures with the front desk staff to avoid these errors in the future. Additionally, to be able to resolve these issues, please contact the hotel's manager directly so you can share your experiences in greater detail. The manager's direct phone number is 973-375-4102 ext. 260.

Again, we regret causing you any dissatisfaction while you stayed with us and we hope you will give our staff another opportunity to exceed your expectations during a future visit.

Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

My wife and I got a last minute Virgin Atlantic flight to Newark and its was the 8.25pm out of Heathrow meaning we landed in Newark about 11.30pm local time. AS it was last minute we thought we could find somewhere cheap to stay around the airport for the night and then head to Washington (where we were meant to be going) the next day.

When we landed I phoned all the usual places, (Sheraton, Holiday Inn etc) and they are either really expensive or full. I phoned The Best Value Inn as a last resort and they had a double room for $70.00 and as my wife and I were exhausted we took it. So now to get there.... and this was really the only bad expeience we had. The guy on the phone said the shuttle bus would get us in 20 minutes, this then turned to 30 and then 40 and then he finally turned up. We then had to wait for some other guests and all in all it took us an hour to get to the hotel from the airport.

Once at the hotel, they reduced our room rate to $54 to say sorry for the delay and gave us a bigger room. Yes its not next to the airport but its only about 10 minutes away and the area wasn't that bad, we were just grateful for a bed. The area was quiet and the room was very clean and big. The bed was very nice to sleep on and breakfast was included in the price.

We were only there for 8 hours and the experience was very pleasent and in the morning the shuttle took us back to the airport and it only took 10 minutes. Nice clean hotel that helped us out at the last minute and for that we would gladly stay here again if we had to go to Newark.

Please be aware, on first impressions at 2 in the morning it does look a little shabby but its really nice and the staff are very friendly! Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

It was a good choice, quality/price for the need of taking a flight the next day. They picked us at the airport and brought us back the next day. The rooms was large with a comfortable bed and good service. The small breakfast was excellent!.
The only negative thing was the smell in the hall

Room Tip: you can book on line
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Newark Central Business District
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel

Been to Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport? Share your experiences!