“Disappointed”

Vietnam Bistro
Ranked #6 of 81 Restaurants in Howell
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Never having eaten Vietnamese food before, based upon online reviews, my wife and I visited the Vietnam Bistro on a Saturday night. At about 6 PM, we were the only customers. Several people had mentioned the hospitable owner, Phil, and his suggestions for things to try. Unfortunately he was not evident. Most reviewers mention Pho, however it was a warm evening and there was no air conditioning on. We therefore opted not to have a hot soup. We ordered the Summer Rolls as an appetizer. They were okay but seemed heavy on rice and light on anything else. My wife ordered the broken rice with shredded pork and a BBQ pork chop, while I tried the rice vermicelli with shredded pork. Both were just just okay. As we were leaving, more customers, perhaps even Vietnamese, arrived. We will not be back anytime soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently spent 3 weeks in Vietnam, and have eaten the food from the north to the south of the country. People have a tendency in the US to confuse the flavoring of Chinese food and Vietnamese food. Vietnam Bistro does what the food I've eaten in Vietnam does which is relies on the flavor of the main ingredients without hiding it in overly spiced and sauced dishes. Vietnam Bistro flavors their food with fish sauce, chili's and similar ingredients I tasted in Vietnam. the Pho is great and the noodle dishes are tasty and refreshing at Vietnam Bistro. Although Vietnam has more fresh seafood in their cuisine that is not always easy to serve at reasonable prices here, so that is a little difference. The owner is friendly and always comes over to say hello. They just remodeled and it is a very comfortable setting and clean. The Thai Iced Tea w/bubbles is great! Go you'll enjoy. Just don't expect the heavy and over spiced and sauced food some of us have come to expect.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This place is my favorite! I normally get the House Special, it is so good, I crave it. Iced coffee is good, Taro Bubble Tea is great too.

1  Thank Katie622
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I love Asian food, so was glad to see this new restaurant. After seeing reviews online, we decided to try it out. Overall, it was OK. Located in a strip mall, the decor is basic, but clean and fresh. We had some of the spring rolls to start.
They were OK, but not particularly flavorful. They appeared to have mint in them,
but could not taste any when eating them. Have had much better.

For entrees we had the short ribs and salt and pepper shrimp. Both were OK.
The shrimp were supposed to come with chilis, though none were in evidence.
Both were served with HUGE portions of white rice, clearly dominating the plate. So huge, that you immediately start to think what's going on here? Then you realize that while the prices are quite modest, so are the portions of food other than the rice. A better strategy would be to serve an inexpensive side, like bok choy, and reduce the rice portion. Unless you want to eat all that white rice, better order 3 entrees, which is what we wound up doing.

The third was a spicey calamari dish that was by far the tastiest of the three. That sauce was very good and tasty. Overall, it was OK, but not up to many similar Vietnamese restaurants that I've been to over the years.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Service is so so, everything is clean enough. The price is reasonable and affordable.the atmosphere is noisy, but who cares? everybody is busy on his food.

Been to Vietnam Bistro? Share your experiences!