“Being a Small Theme Park is an Advantage”

Land of Make Believe & Pirate's Cove
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Hope
Newton, NJ
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Being a Small Theme Park is an Advantage”
Reviewed July 8, 2009

The Land of Make Believe is a small theme park catering to children under 12, located in Hope, NJ (Warren County). What I liked best about it is the fact that it is a small, privately owned park. The large parks owned by large corporations may have more to do, but they are also very expensive, have asinine rules and commit highway robbery every time there is somthing that needs to be paid for. Here, the prices are reasonable and they allow you to bring in your own food as well. There may not be as many rides, but there is enough to enjoy the day without feeling that you are getting soaked for everything. I have been to the larger parks but I always have a better time at the smaller ones.

Admission prices are reasonable and you can frequently find discount coupons (i.e. entertainment book) to save even more. I was able to get one free adult admission. The rides are all geared towards younger children, although most of them are really not for those under 5. There is a water park, which I did not try so I could not comment on it. A train takes you around the park, as does a wagon or pumpkin ride. Parking is free (another plus). The lot is not paved but for zero dollars, so what? Shows are given as well in front of a castle.

The only problem I encountered was one very rude old man operating one of the rides. He could not care less that we wanted to make sure our daughter was safety strapped in to her seat. He even had the audacity to grab my wife's wrist because he insisted he was the one to do it and she needed to get on the ride or leave. I don't think so. Our daughter's safety is paramount. I did not hesitate to report him to management. In all fairness, however, the other employees were more helpful and considerate. I did not let one incident with a sarcastic individual ruin the day.

Overall I felt it was a worthwhile experience for my daughter.

jenchey929
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's ok...”
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We went to LOMB when my daughter was a year and a half. It's free admission for children under 2 years old... but since my daughter is tall for her age, she was TALL enough to go on most of the rides. It turns out that she was only allowed on a few rides since we didn't pay for her, she didn't have a wristband. We had to go back to the front and pay full admission if we wanted to be able to do anything while we were there.

I think that is poor customer service! Don't tell me it's free, and then when I get in there tell me that we can only do the merry-go-round!!!!!! That's ridiculous! If that's how it's going to be, they should let anyone go in without a wristband if they aren't going to be riding on the rides.... my dad paid full admission, and barely went on anything, he was just spending time with my family. Or charge by height, not age.

We live closer to Storybook land near atlantic City, and you have to pay for anyone over age 1... but I knew that before I ever went there, so it was no big deal because it was expected.

Other than that though, we did have fun at LOMB.

1 Thank jenchey929
Pennsylvania
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Fun For Our Three Year Old, Staff Is Rude, Water Park Poorly Guarded”
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We drove 1.5 hours from PA to get here only to find an overblown Carnival. However, our 3 year old loved it, and that is the point of the trip. The rides are not anything you won't find at a larger fair, and in fact, our local fair has bigger and better rides. But, as I said, our son had a blast. Not too many food choices, but what they had was excellent and reasonably priced. The water park had horrible staff. Everyone was pushing and shoving, sliding down the slides into other kids, big kids pushing littler kids, a real mess. We approached a lifeguard about it, and she actually said "what do you want me to do about it?". We said, how about stepping in and creating some order over there before someone gets hurt. She said that "isn't my job". No one cared about the hazardous conditions being created. One parent can not police everyone, and most of the parents just didn't care what their kids were doing. A girl, around 10, came flying down the slide right behind our 3 year old and almost barreled into him, except my husband was standing there and jumped in the way...she hit him, rather than our son. Her mom just stared at us, like how dare we...but her kid was about to injure our child. No one cared at all what was going on over there. They closed the wading pool 3 times for a child pooping in the pool, for half hour each time, taking 1.5 hours out of the time you could spend there. As our son had a fantastic time, we **might** consider going back, but if you go, be very vigilant in the water park.

3 Thank 1blessedmomma
Massapequa Park, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Everyone exits through the gift shop”
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My family of five, including 11,9, and 5 year old went on Friday, Aug 1st 2008. We got there at 3pm - yes, it closes at 6pm but we had just driven from Long Island in traffic so we gave it a shot. It cost us 100 to get in for 2hr 45 min (everything closes 15 min early, the water area 30min early)
We went right to the waterpark area which was p-a-c-k-e-d!! There was no where to sit because eveyone had towels over the chairs as usual -I will never understand this concept - one family needs one chair to leave all the stuff on because no one stays on them! I brought a backpack and carried it around while I watched the kids in the wading pool. We then went over to the Lazy river and fort area - they were both very nice -but crowded - and I found a chair to leave my stuff. We tried one water ride which took about 20 minutes to finally get to the top after waiting on a line that wasn't very long actually.
We only got to try 3 rides because they started to shut everything down. To leave they make everyone go through one door that leads into the giftshop and then exits to the parking lot. This is not the same way as you enter. That was just not right.

Now for the best part - They have changing cabanas for the women , maybe about 12 of them? They are smelly and dark and full of cobwebs but at least its better than using the a toilet stall. So I brought the 3 kids and me into one, I guess about 5:25, as I said the water area closes at 5:30. We change and I let the two older ones out, then people start banging on the doors. I finish and my youngest opens the door, but I am still packing up my backpack. Two women, one black, one white, both grab the door and try to get in. I move out and they are yelling that they were both next on line and they both proceed to go into the stall, one finally comes out a couple of minutes later. There are dozens of people waiting to change. This is the best way to describe the quality of people, not all of them, but most who were there that day - rude and obnoxious. I don't know if its like that all the time.

4 Thank massapequamom
Northeastern US
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Parents need to Teach Respect!!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I have been going to the Land of Make Believe since 1971 . I went when I was little then I took my older son and now my 18 month old. I will not be going back to this park for a very long time if at all. Since the waterpark\ was put in it seems the clientel changed not for the better. If you have a little one, the wading pool area can be very hazardous. Kids push everywhere and have no respect. When I was with my little one taking him up a slide another child kept pushing him and going infront of him. The first two times I let it go. The third time when the child pushed through causing my son to fall and bang his head , I told the child there was a line and she had to wait like everyone else was. Her mother came over and told me there would be trouble if I mentioned a line again. I told her her daughter just injured my son pushing past him to get infront when there is clearly a line . Her child is no different from any other. There is a large sign that states Parents must wach their children. Parents were not watching their children or correcting them. Rather most parents were sitting on chairs sunning themselves while their children were running amuk. Children were sliding down the slides one right on top of the one that was at the bottom. The lifeguards only corrected children who went down head first. and that is if they saw them. Perhaps it would be better if they sectioned off the wading pool according to age range. The lifeguards had thier hands full but a suggestion to them would be when you blow the whistle yell what is being down incorrectly. Too many times the lifeguards blew their whistles but the people had no idea why and what was being done incorrectly.

Then when the other water rides were shut down due to someone vomiting, everyone came into the wading pool. Teenagers were running and fooling around right next to families with little babies. The babies were getting splashed and one teenager slipped and fell on a parent and child that was just sitting in the wading part.

A lot of improvemnts must be made to make this a :safe " family place for everyone. Perhaps if they ejected people who break the rules and are being rude, maybe then people would teach themseleves and their children to act responsibly. There were many other people complaining about the same exact problems I experienced only to be told there is nothing we can do. Sure there is Eject them!! Because someone is going to seriously get hurt.

2 Thank travelingmom008