“Fun For Our Three Year Old, Staff Is Rude, Water Park Poorly Guarded”

Land of Make Believe & Pirate's Cove
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Hope
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We drove 1.5 hours from PA to get here only to find an overblown Carnival. However, our 3 year old loved it, and that is the point of the trip. The rides are not anything you won't find at a larger fair, and in fact, our local fair has bigger and better rides. But, as I said, our son had a blast. Not too many food choices, but what they had was excellent and reasonably priced. The water park had horrible staff. Everyone was pushing and shoving, sliding down the slides into other kids, big kids pushing littler kids, a real mess. We approached a lifeguard about it, and she actually said "what do you want me to do about it?". We said, how about stepping in and creating some order over there before someone gets hurt. She said that "isn't my job". No one cared about the hazardous conditions being created. One parent can not police everyone, and most of the parents just didn't care what their kids were doing. A girl, around 10, came flying down the slide right behind our 3 year old and almost barreled into him, except my husband was standing there and jumped in the way...she hit him, rather than our son. Her mom just stared at us, like how dare we...but her kid was about to injure our child. No one cared at all what was going on over there. They closed the wading pool 3 times for a child pooping in the pool, for half hour each time, taking 1.5 hours out of the time you could spend there. As our son had a fantastic time, we **might** consider going back, but if you go, be very vigilant in the water park.

3  Thank 1blessedmomma

Reviewed August 10, 2008

My family of five, including 11,9, and 5 year old went on Friday, Aug 1st 2008. We got there at 3pm - yes, it closes at 6pm but we had just driven from Long Island in traffic so we gave it a shot. It cost us 100 to get in for 2hr 45 min (everything closes 15 min early, the water area 30min early)
We went right to the waterpark area which was p-a-c-k-e-d!! There was no where to sit because eveyone had towels over the chairs as usual -I will never understand this concept - one family needs one chair to leave all the stuff on because no one stays on them! I brought a backpack and carried it around while I watched the kids in the wading pool. We then went over to the Lazy river and fort area - they were both very nice -but crowded - and I found a chair to leave my stuff. We tried one water ride which took about 20 minutes to finally get to the top after waiting on a line that wasn't very long actually.
We only got to try 3 rides because they started to shut everything down. To leave they make everyone go through one door that leads into the giftshop and then exits to the parking lot. This is not the same way as you enter. That was just not right.

Now for the best part - They have changing cabanas for the women , maybe about 12 of them? They are smelly and dark and full of cobwebs but at least its better than using the a toilet stall. So I brought the 3 kids and me into one, I guess about 5:25, as I said the water area closes at 5:30. We change and I let the two older ones out, then people start banging on the doors. I finish and my youngest opens the door, but I am still packing up my backpack. Two women, one black, one white, both grab the door and try to get in. I move out and they are yelling that they were both next on line and they both proceed to go into the stall, one finally comes out a couple of minutes later. There are dozens of people waiting to change. This is the best way to describe the quality of people, not all of them, but most who were there that day - rude and obnoxious. I don't know if its like that all the time.

4  Thank massapequamom
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I have been going to the Land of Make Believe since 1971 . I went when I was little then I took my older son and now my 18 month old. I will not be going back to this park for a very long time if at all. Since the waterpark\ was put in it seems the clientel changed not for the better. If you have a little one, the wading pool area can be very hazardous. Kids push everywhere and have no respect. When I was with my little one taking him up a slide another child kept pushing him and going infront of him. The first two times I let it go. The third time when the child pushed through causing my son to fall and bang his head , I told the child there was a line and she had to wait like everyone else was. Her mother came over and told me there would be trouble if I mentioned a line again. I told her her daughter just injured my son pushing past him to get infront when there is clearly a line . Her child is no different from any other. There is a large sign that states Parents must wach their children. Parents were not watching their children or correcting them. Rather most parents were sitting on chairs sunning themselves while their children were running amuk. Children were sliding down the slides one right on top of the one that was at the bottom. The lifeguards only corrected children who went down head first. and that is if they saw them. Perhaps it would be better if they sectioned off the wading pool according to age range. The lifeguards had thier hands full but a suggestion to them would be when you blow the whistle yell what is being down incorrectly. Too many times the lifeguards blew their whistles but the people had no idea why and what was being done incorrectly.

Then when the other water rides were shut down due to someone vomiting, everyone came into the wading pool. Teenagers were running and fooling around right next to families with little babies. The babies were getting splashed and one teenager slipped and fell on a parent and child that was just sitting in the wading part.

A lot of improvemnts must be made to make this a :safe " family place for everyone. Perhaps if they ejected people who break the rules and are being rude, maybe then people would teach themseleves and their children to act responsibly. There were many other people complaining about the same exact problems I experienced only to be told there is nothing we can do. Sure there is Eject them!! Because someone is going to seriously get hurt.

2  Thank travelingmom008
Reviewed July 29, 2008

First off, the admission is affordable. However, it cost more for kids than adults. Under 2 is free, but they are not allowed in any rides except for the train and carousel. I wished that there is a discounted price for ages 2- 2 1/2 or children below the height requirement of 36" since their rides are also somewhat limited. The water park, hayride, train, castle show, Santa's barn, Haunted house, candy cane land, and farm animals are all included. I come here each year for my school trip and my students and parents greatly enjoy this end of the year fieldtrip.
I also brought my daughter here when she turned 1. Although she couldn't go on rides except for the train and carousel, she loved the water park. She played in the wading pool, ran around the water "jungle gym", and she went river ride tubing with me and my husband. What is great is that you can continue riding the river ride tube over and over again without having to get back in line!!! The food was very cheap and you are allowed to bring a cooler and eat in the picnic area. No food allowed in the water park, but you can sneak in a bottle of water or bottle of milk for the little ones.
We recently returned here and my 2 year old daughter enjoyed more of the rides but since she is under 36" height, she missed a few of the rides, although I think she would have been scared of them anyway. Kids must have an wrist band in order to get on the rides. If they balk about having it on their wrist, put it around their ankles. She still loved the huge wading pool and the river ride. We must have gone around at least five times. Also the favorite was the train ride which we also did a few times. She enjoyed seeing the farm animals which you can also feed. Although it was the weekend and crowded, it was mostly so in the water park. The wait for the rides were no more than 5-10 minutes. By the way, strollers and coolers are not allowed in the water park, although they provide an area to leave both. You can bring in a beach bag for towels, change of clothing,etc.and they do enforce the bathing suit rule and swimmies for kids (which I'm glad since there are tons of little ones, and it would be disgusting and unsanitary without those swimmies!!!)
As for the staff, they were courteous but firm in enforcing the rules so I guess people find them rude when they can't get their way. Overall, we love this park, and highly recommend it, but do not expect the big frills of corporate amusement parks like Great adventure, Hershey Park and such. It is a family owned business in the middle of a very dusty dirt road acreage, similar to those of the old time carnivals/country fairs perfect for children under 10!!!

3  Thank Kye1122
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We are in our mid 30's with 2 boys ages 4 and 5. I absolutely recommend this park to every family with young children.

1. Free parking

2. Cheap - Adults ticket $20.00 , child $24.00 (cash only)
EVERYTHING is included in this price, except food.

3. Come around opening time 10 am - go to pool area and reserve a couple of chairs. After that go to "dry" area and start with the rides. It will take no more then an hour and a half to do all of them. There are no lines. All rides are kids friendly. Height requirement 36" to ride alone.

4.You can bring your own food - there are plenty of picnic areas, or you can buy pizza, hot dog, chicken nuggets, water, soda, juices, ice cream, etc - very cheap - almost everything has a $2.00 price tag.

5. Water park - extremely clean! They don't allow food into a water park area. What a great idea!

-- Pool is 1-2 feet deep - great for ages 0-5 - plenty of slides, pirate ship.

-- Water Fort is great for kids ages 2-8. Everyone likes a large barrel dumping water on their heads every couple of minutes :-)

-- Lazy river - there are single, double, and kids double floats. Perfect way to relax in the middle of the day!

-- Slides - there are 6 different rides for adults and kids ages 4 and up. Height requirement 36"- 48" have to ride with an adult.
We had a blast on all of them.

6. Show - kids get to participate in a make believe story about king, princesses, knights and a dragon. They have to wear costumes and have a fake food fight. Adults can participate too. Very cute.

This is a very affordable, clean and fun place to spend a day with your family. Size and activities are perfect for kids ages 4-8. You can come with an infant, but you'll be restricted to a pool/lazy river/train ride. And in my opinion there is nothing to do for kids older then 8.

2  Thank millasha