“Very disappointing”

Leo's Grandevous
Ranked #40 of 297 Restaurants in Hoboken
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Leo's Grandevous is one of oldest and best-known Italian restaurants in Hoboken NJ.Since 1939 Leo's has been serving great Italian food. Leo & Tessie founded Leo's Grandevous on the principle of good food and good service one customer at a time – Today, 72 years later our reputation is still based on a continued devotion to providing you, our guest Hoboken's best Italian restaurant experience.Come by for a great meal and enjoy our Italian specialties or have a drink at our famous bar and listen to Sinatra's timeless music.Your Leo's experience will be more than a night out at one of the great Hoboken Italian restaurants; it's a night in Hoboken history that you'll never forget! For Takeout...Call in your order. It will be expertly prepared in about 20 minutes!
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Went with some friends visiting NJ from Europe. Such a disappointing experience. For some reason our server took a dislike to us from the start. I asked for water with lemon, no lemon. Our bread didn't come until right before appetizers. The garlic bread we ordered was terrible - no garlic or butter to be seen. It was basically mini toast with herbs rubbed on it. Horrid. No a trace of butter or garlic. When I brought it to the server's attention she argued with me and then grudgingly took them away. Returned 8 minutes later with the same pieces which had been rubbed with garlic puree of the sort you buy in a tube at the supermarket. When entrees arrived the chicken francese didn't even taste of lemons, the proscuitto, mushroom and kalamata dish had plain black olives chopped up with about 2 real kalamatas chopped up and thrown in. One of our party ordered steak with fries and the fries didn't arrive. We had to ask and then they grudgingly brought them out halfway through his meal, with no apology. All the food was bland, under-seasoned and nothing better than an idiot with a stove, box of pasta, 6 ingredients and a cookbook could produce. You can tell they are cutting corners all over instead of just producing good, tasty food. How they justify the price of $18 for a chicken parmigana is beyond me, but they appear to be full of diners so either people are deranged or usually the food is better....?

• Visited April 2013

“I would have had dinner here everynight of my visit”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were in town for a few days staying in Hoboken while visiting NYC. We wanted good local food for dinner and chose Leo's after reading reviews. I will say this is the best choice we made all week. After walking in we were a little confused on where to stand because the place was so busy. We finally found a place at the bar to have a few drinks while waiting for a table. We introduced ourselves to Sergio and he said we would be taken care of. He did just that. He checked on us while waiting for our food and even took time out to thank us for coming in. The food portions were massive and well appreciated after walking all day in the city. I started to give the service a rating of 3 only because the waitress took a while to get our drinks but Sergio and some other staff made up fpr the service so I will give it a 5. I would make a trip to Hoboken just to go eat there again...and we live in North Carolina :-) my only complaint is that I didn't find this place until our last night there...otherwise Leo's would have had my business all 3 nights!

Hoboken, New Jersey
“Hoboken Italian - good and local”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

This place has good local Italian food. The service is local - can be crass, but sweet underneath. The meatballs and sausage are great and so are the sautéed veggie sides. The prices are reasonable. The atmosphere takes you back to the days of Sinatra - photos of him are all around.

Hoboken, New Jersey
“There are way better Italian places in town”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I've lived in Hoboken almost 12 years and have only been to Leo's about 3-4 times. I only live a block away now and after my last visit I don't know why I'd go back when there are better options in town (like Augustino's or Michaelina's). Average food, cold bread, colder waitresses not sure why this place is a Hoboken "favorite"--maybe it's the Sinatra connection that draws people in?

Visited May 2012
NJ
“Old school red sauce place”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Leo's is awesome. Best spaghetti and meatballs I have ever had, by far. Chicken dishes are good, any baked pasta dish is good. It is an old school italian red sauce place and if you go looking for something else, i guess some other people were disapointed. Waitresses are quite friendly. It can be a cramped wait at the bar for a table since the place is small, but that's the only complaint I have.

• Visited May 2012