“A gem with nostalgic charm, perfect for girlfriends brunch”

The Hoboken Gourmet Company
Ranked #43 of 350 Restaurants in Hoboken
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 25, 2018

I have been to HGC several times over the past year, with friends and with my kids. I have written in my previous reviews that it is important for me to have proper expectations when I choose to spend time and money, and I am very comfortable in a variety of places - from rustic to high luxury. Hoboken Gourmet Company is a little gem amidst the road construction mayhem and commercialized eateries that have overtaken the square mile of the planet, called Hoboken...

Nestled in the heart of the town, and steps away from the pier, the cafe/restaurant is a lovely spot for a late morning respite. The atmosphere is neither glamorous nor pretentious, but comfortable and cozy - fits in perfectly with the brick townhouses of the area. The service if friendly and fast, coffee is good, and the muffins are delicious! Though, since I am very conscientious about sweets, I have been able to make special requests to fit my diet every time, and have had zero issues with that little quirk. My favorite is the sliced turkey with poached eggs and avocado -- it might sound boring, but I enjoy the dish every time without feeling guilty or being judged for ordering off the menu.

There is also free WiFi, which is nice to rely on when sitting solo.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

Came into Hoboken to visit. Love this old 19th century city. Washington Street is busy with stores, coffee shops, bakeries, and restaurants. We decided to have lunch here. It's a very small place located in the lower level of the building. It's like going down the cellar which is fine. They have some outdoor seating. Inside is old, run down, neglected but has that vintage charm. Breakfast cuisine seem really good as well as their muffins but their lunch menu was limited. We had their angus burgers with avocado. The burger was a flat patty with no flavor. Instead of avocado we received some sort of guacamole which was horrible. Someone else ordered a chicken sandwich which was not even cooked. PINK! You could see it from across the room. The waitress was very nice and polite but not attentive. I had to keep getting her attention. She took the sandwich back and apologized. She even came back with two small muffins. Eventually the sandwich was good when cooked properly. The kitchen is visible and is run down. I wasn't a fan of the food. Plenty of other places to try in this beautiful city and I can spend my money somewhere else. FYI others in my group liked the place so your call to give it a try but take a look at the area before deciding.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed September 2, 2017

We found this restaurant on a quick trip to Hoboken at the end of a long weekend visiting NYC & the surrounding area. We got there late in the morning with three hungry littles and my mother on crutches. The staff helped us to fit at one of the outdoor tables and scrounged chairs for us. Our food was all outstanding. We had five different things and each was excellent. Eggs were perfectly poached. Seasonings were nice. The Challah French toast with banana butter was delicious; I kept stealing bites from my grandchildren. We felt very lucky to have stumbled onto this gem, thanks to Trip Advisor.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed April 3, 2017

I'm really surprised this place doesn't have an overall higher rating! I went there for the first time this Saturday for brunch and I absolutely loved it! I was meeting a friend for lunch and she was running a bit late. I was greeted immediately by the staff & the service was great! The weather was beautiful so it got busy fast at HGC but I never felt forgotten. Within 5 minutes, I was asked by 3 different staff members if I needed anything. I felt so spoiled :)

The coffee. The food. The service. The cozy indoor setting & relaxing outdoor little tables - all deserve BIG A+. I highly recommend this place !

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed October 11, 2016

One of the bedt places in Jersey to get Brunch, it reminds me of a small European cafe, you can relax with a coffee or iced tea at any time of the day, service can be a little bit slow, but the food and ambiance make it worth the wait. Great outdoor seating.

Date of visit: July 2016