“So glad we went”

Ranked #1 of 11 Dessert in Hoboken
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had visited in the summer but the lineup was too long...and with some negative reviews we decided not to wait...

we returned Dec 31st and waited....and SO glad that we did. The lineup process is very organized.....and once inside it was awesome to see all the people working, waiting and to see all the mouth watering goodies..

we waited about 30 minutes outside..then 20 minutes or so once we were inside for our numbers to be called. The service was great, well organized and the food was REALLY good.

We were lucky and the day we visited Madeline and Mauro were working....

I highly recommend waiting...it is WORTH it!

2  Thank Vroom_Craig
Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

A few years ago, Carlo's was my reliable "go to" stop before visiting out-of-town friends and family or inviting guests over. Their ruggelach and mini cannoli were so tasty, always fresh, and made a great hostess treat. Over the past couple years though the prices have increased to a ridiculously high level and the quality of the ruggelach and cannoli have gone down hill. I simply can't justify paying $16.99 for a pound of cookies that do not taste as fresh as they once did, so no more Carlo's for me!

3  Thank jgirl1313
Reviewed January 8, 2013

After reading about how long the ques will be at the famous Carlo's Bakery, my husband and I were ready for a long wait in the cold BUT luckily for us this was not the case.
We caught the Path from NY to Hoboken walked for about 5min and we were at Carlo's.
We went on a Sunday morning at 11am - there were only 5 people ahead of us in the que which was great - got to take lots of pics while waiting - stood in line for 10min and then got in.
Everyone is issued with a number, so once in the store, one can walk around even though its is quite small but at least you can browse the store and see what you would like to order.
Waited roughly about 15mins to for our turn - we bought the cannolis and lobster tails.... and we definitely were not disappointed - it was amazing..
It definitely is a must see if you are in NYC - and Hoboken is a pretty little town.
Once we got out the store, the que was already around the block - so the earlier you get there, the better.

5  Thank Experience_Editor
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were watching an episode of the Cake Boss last week and thought, what the heck, let's drive up this weekend. We live in Ohio so we made the 8 1/2 hour trip to Jersey for the weekend and it was absolutely worth it.
Get there early! We left Ohio Friday morning and got to the Bake shop around 4pm. We were delighted when we pulled up because it looks just like it does on TV. What you don't see is that it is on a charming street. Washington street is about 2-3 miles long and there are these wonderful brownstones up and down the street. In the first floor of these residential buildings there are all kinds of delis, businesses, specialty shops, crafts up and down the street. The sidewalks are nice and roomy. Parking is cheap. $2 for 2 hours. There are not individual parking meters. It was more like one meter per curb area so look for the green & white 2 hr parking signs. Pull up to the curb, pay the parking meter box, put the receipt on the inside of your car window. It does take a credit card but sometimes it was better to have change.

We walked up to the bake shop and it was packed. It looked like a mob scene but the staff moved us through the line very quickly. We got #55 when we walked into the shop. They were serving #32. 20 minutes later we had our goodies and were on our way to the hotel. The hardest part was trying to see all the goodies around the gazillion people. Most people were very considerate and tried to move around so that we could all see. We bought a sampling of cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and cheesecakes and Oh My Gosh.....it was worth the hype.

Be careful, there are no prices on anything and if you go by what your eyeballs want, you can drop some serious cash. We bought two chocolate cakes. I think they were each twentysome dollars. Both were covered by chocolate fondant. The one we tried had buttercream frosting and white chocolate curls on the top middle of the cake. When we cut into the cake we realized that most of it had a sinfully delicious amount of cream inside. I think it was 3" thick on top of a thin layer of white cake. It was oh-so-tasty.

We also bought about a dozen little shortbread type cookies. Some had sprinkles, some had chocolate, some had fruit. They were light and buttery. I ate three of them so fast that I thought my husband had reached onto my plate but no.....it was me. They were just so tasty. They are dry so they went great with my Starbucks.

We also bought a chocolate mousse type of cupcake that had this wonderfully delicious strawberry on top. The chocolate mousse was light and fluffy and the chocolate cake inside of it was moist and delicious. And we bought a cupcake size cheesecake......slice of heaven. It also had the wonderfully delicious strawberry on top and the cheescake was so good that every cheesecake we have from this point on will be compared to that one. I think each of these were around $7.

We ate so much that night that we decided to go back on Saturday so that we could buy some goodies to take home. We got to the bake shop around 6pm and it was ridiculously busy. It was freezing outside but the shop was packed and there was a humongous line outside. We decided to come back Sunday morning and I'm so glad we did.

The bakery is open 7am-7pm Sun thru Thurs; 7am-8pm Fri/Sat. We got to the bakery around 8am Sunday and there was NO LINE. It was awesome. We got to take our time, look around, and pick the things we wanted. The bad thing is that there were more goodies than we saw the previous day. There were danishes and different types of bakery items. We ended up getting a big sugar cookie that had half chocolate/half vanilla frosting on it. I think it was $3. We bought a couple cannolis. I don't even like cannolis but guess what....they were delicious. I don't know what type of shell that is but two words....YUM...MEE. The filling was light, tasty, and delicious. I think they were $3 each.
We bought some chocolate mouse cupcakes to take home and we bought a double layer cake with blue fondant and a huge chocolate ribbon on top. It was $47 and I almost fainted but this trip was special so it was worth it. The cake was light and moist and flavorful and the two layers were seperated by ganache (I think). The whole cake was covered in fondant but the cake had been dirty iced with buttercream frosting so the fondant kinda floated on top of it. It was so rich that I could only eat a small slice. We shared some of it and we are freezing the rest. I'm going to be enjoying this cake for months to come. I gained 5lbs over the weekend and I enjoyed every single moment.

This was a marvelous trip and I highly recommend it. The shop is well staffed and they do a great job of moving people in and out. We did not see Buddy or his family at the shop but we weren't really expecting to. We hope to go back and visit again some time. I would love to be able to take a tour of the old bakery and the new bakery.

6  Thank Crystal337
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Do. Not. Waste. Your. Time.
Below mediocre pastries (except the crumb cake which is great), crowded, meh. They're famous for their personalities, the food has gone to shambles (was better a decade ago before they were "famous").

6  Thank rustymambo