“The W wants to "fulfill your wish", and it DOES.”
Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
palm beach, Fl
“The W wants to "fulfill your wish", and it DOES.”
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Car is whisked away as you are greeted at valet, and the W experience begins. Excellent service from all staff no matter whhere you are in the W. Just nice people who want to "fulfill your wishes" (you hear that there, you'll see). They are SO nice and mean it.
Ask for a room with a view (most have it). Ask about "cool" rooms. Rates are reasonable, but rooms are NOT large unless you get a bigger one at check-in by being polite and asking.. Younger pros like the vibe here. You will see it the second you walk in the Lobby doors.

We had our kids AND our grandkids in 4 rooms of every size. The W couldn't have been busier (Mother's Day w/e) or nicer. Wonderful experience.

GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
I’m glad you appreciate our effort to grant all of our guests’ wishes! Thank you for choosing to spend Mother’s Day with us. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed May 11, 2010

1I wanted to take a moment to let you know how wonderful our stay at the W was. Aside from the most comfortable bed that I think I have ever slept in and the spotlessly clean room, the view was amazing and the location could not have been better! I loved the modern style of the rooms. The bathroom was big enough for two, which was wonderful. The concierge, Dorian, was so helpful and friendly, as was the entire staff that we encountered at the hotel. The staff at your hotel was the friendliest staff I have ever dealt with. It is usually the little things that can make or break a hotel stay and I have to say that down to the tiniest detail of our stay that we were totally satisfied! It may seem trivial to some, but for me I cannot get over how wonderful your hotel smelled, not at all like a hotel. I am very sensitive to smells, so this is very important to me!
I have been a diehard Westin fan for some years now, but decided to take a chance on the W this time. I am so glad that I did. I have a new favorite hotel!

Reviewed May 5, 2010

First for the business part of my tirp, I stayed at the W Lexington for two nights ($299 a night) - it was great, good location, very busy, small but nice room....then for the pleasure part of the trip I went to the W Hoboken for three nights ($209 a night, same price on their website, through Air Canada Vacations and Expedia, so I booked through A Cda to get the points) - room was huge, much quieter hotel, window opens and the view was fab, much better than the rooftops and parking garage I saw from the Lexington location...
I checked into the W Hoboken on Saturday - couldn't get much info about getting to Hoboken from New Yorkers, even the concierge at the Lex told me there wasn't a ferry but I knew there was, eventually he called the W in H and they said I had to go to 39th St. and catch the ferry from there as the one from WTC doesn't run on the weekend....no one was manning the ticket booths but I eventually found one lone worker in a kiosk next door who told me I had to buy a ticket from the machine, it was $8.50 one way.....it lands at 14th St. Hoboken, the W is between 3rd and 2nd, so I walked, wheeling my luggage (didn't see any cabs or buses)...wasn't too bad...Paige at reception was great - I checked in, took pics of the room and the amazing view, refreshed and then explored. Hoboken is charming, lots of nice restaurants etc, nice old train station. I stayed in town Sat. night, then the next morning heard that there had been a failed car bombing in Times Square so I was glad I hadn't tried to go back to NYC that night. Sunday I took the PATH train, which is about 2 blocks from the W, $1.75 for a single trip, again no one on duty so you get the ticket from a machine....the turnstile "eats" the ticket (I'm used to it popping out) but no worries - you can either take the train to the WTC site or the other one makes several stops and ends at 33rd St. ... on the bus/subway in NYC you can pay cash (only coins no bills) $2.25 each time or you can get a pass, there's a one day "Fun" pass for $8.25, which is unlimited just for the day...or you can buy a card for $10, $20 etc and that gets you a number of prepaid, slightly cheaper trips, it's also good on the PATH, so one day I bought a $10 one, I was able to take the subway uptown, then downtown, the PATH to NJ, then back the next day and back again to NJ (5 trips in total) - there was still $1.75 left, which is another PATH trip, but I needed to take the light rail train to the airport, so I will save it for my next trip to the Big Apple....
The W Hoboken is great, I will always check their prices and if I can get a good deal will always stay there (won't stay in Manhattan again) - certainly if you are staying for several nights, the rate is much lower, the regular price was listed on the closet (nearly $800 a night)....to get to Newark airport you can take a pricey cab or you can take the light rail train from Hoboken, you need to make one change, at Penn Station or at another station beginning with C, can't remember the name...I had checked a day or two before I needed it and was told the price was $8.25 - it ended up being $12.25 when I bought it as prices had gone up (although I found a 50% hike large)....but still much cheaper than a cab. Be aware if you are taking a cab between Manhattan and NJ they won't put the meter on and end up charging a huge flat rate...one girl asked him to put the meter on and said she would pay the tolls...he refused and tried to charge her $50, she paid him $30 and walked away - he wasn't happy but the guy on the door at the W talked to him...hopefully it all ended peacefully - but if you plan to take a cab, just know it is a ripoff.
I was disappointed that you have to pay to use the internet by swiping your credit card, I didn't see a price so didn't bother - I know the W Lexington charged $16.95 a day if you were connecting your own laptop - the better the hotel, the more they charge you - usually the smaller hotels have free internet (even if it's only one computer) a coffee machine and sometimes a fridge - at both W's they had free Granny Smith apples in the lobby and water with sliced cucumber, fruit in it, which was nice...for a few hours every morning they had free coffee at the Hoboken one too, but it didn't last long, I refilled my water bottle from the fountain in the gym on floor 2A.
So if you are planning a trip, check the rates for the W Hoboken - there's a small health food store that sells homemade soup etc, very tasty - lots of choice for food and several grocery stores. I also saw a couple of shows - Cirque Du Soleil and the best was La Cage Aux Folles starring Kelsey Grammer and Douglas Hodge - it was FANTASTIC - I saw it on Sunday night and took the PATH back to Hoboken - both actors signed autographs and posed for photos after the show. Great times!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Thanks for coming across the river for the pleasure part of your trip! I’m glad you enjoyed Hoboken, our hotel and our convenience to public transportation into New York City. We want to make sure you and all of our guests know that you can use our Wired business center for $6.95 per half hour and our wireless internet fee is $9.95 per day (complimentary for Platinum Starwood Preferred Guests) and if you have a lap top we do offer complimentary high speed wireless internet in all of our public areas. We can’t wait to welcome you back to W Hoboken next time you are in the area! – Anna M., General Manager
UK
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my husband and 2 boys 12 & 14. It was a great place. We had a fantastic view of the city from our window and the beds were sooo comfortable. It was great to be away from the madness of the city but so easy to get downtown quickly via the PATH train which was a 5 min walk away. It was also great value. We had no complaints and wouldn't stay anywhere else if we go back

GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
We are so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your W Hoboken experience and that you have become a loyal W Hoboken guest. -Anna M., General Manager
New York, NY
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Booking:
I won a bid on Priceline.com. Give this option a try...if you know how to use the "Negotiator" tool, this could save you money. We got a "Wonderful Room", with two queens beds, away from the elevators, with a great view!!! I'm not sure if this is the standard that they give to Priceline customers...we may have gotten this because I am an SPG member.

Area:
Hoboken, New Jersey is surprisingly hip...ravamped, new, fresh, and it feels very "downtown NYC". The view of the Hudson & NYC are spectacular. The hotel is only a quick PATH ride to downtown NYC. There's lots of great bars in the area and there's plenty of places to eat (or order takeout from).

Facilities:
The hotel is modern, new, and super clean. Zylo, their steak restaurant, is fantastic -pricey but worth it, cause the food is top notch! The Chandelier Room, their lounge, is hip & funky. Good times...there's no need to even leave the hotel.

Room:
The room is very spacious. The bathroom is modern with high end toiletries. The bed and the many layers of sheets was the best thing about our entire stay...it's awesome, not sure how we ever woke up. There's a stocked mini fridge and a loaded snack box...these were both pricey. We ordered room service for breakfast - the service was great, the portions are on the small side though, but the table setting that they provide is sooo cute. All the furniture is new and the view is amazing. See my pics! We didn't want to leave:-( But...we will be back!!!

Good Surprises:
Bliss Spa toiletries...even the room smells like a spa when you first open the door.

Strangely Missing:
Rooms have everything except for the most important - TOOTHPASTE!

Overall:
We stayed only for 1 night...it's been my best/favorite hotel experience...however, you PAY for it!

Tip:
Ask front desk for a set of menus from restaurants that deliver...this will save you money & effort.

Have fun, be safe, and don't forget the wine!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your Wonderful room! All of our Wonderful, Spectacular & Fantastic room types offer beautiful views across the Hudson River to Manhattan. It is only our Cozy King room types that are slightly smaller and face Hoboken rather than New York City. I am glad you were able to take some time to enjoy Hoboken and everything this city has to offer. We are so happy to be your favorite hotel experience and can’t wait to welcome you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Irving, Texas
Reviewed April 22, 2010

From the moment I got to the hotel, the staff was incredible. The whole place was beautiful and very chic looking. I really enjoyed the modern decor and lighting. THe concierge was awesome. He gave me step by step instructions on how to get around NYC since I had no clue and when I asked him to send up room service he was right on it. Very attentive staff and my room was gorgeous. Every single detail made me feeled completely pampered. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to everyone. I am sure I wouldn't have gotten that type of service in a hotel in NYC. Just awesome

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank kaoskitty69
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your W Hoboken experience here on Trip Advisor! I’m so glad, Patrick, our Concierge, was able to help you with directions to New York. We can’t wait to welcome you back and pamper you some more! – Anna M., General Manager
Lexington, KY
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I recently was traveling to the New York/New Jersey area and although I like staying in the city I often would rather have the city at arms length while I enjoy my weekend. The W Hoboken proved to be the perfect location for a great weekend. The hotel is fairly new and very spacious, the staff were as expected the most friendly people in New Jersey and the view from the room was incredible.

The hotel is just a few blocks from Washington Street and right on the waterfront. Perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon and Zylo (Tuscon )and The Chandelier Room were perfect to start a night out.

The rooms was very clean and the bathroom was spacious and clean, the perfect place to relax and recover.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
We are happy to be the perfect location for you to be close to the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, but still be able to get away when you want to. I’m glad you had a chance to enjoy our restaurant, Zylo, as well as our lounge, The Chandelier Room. –Anna M., General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoboken
The Westin Jersey City Newport
#4 of 14 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#7 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!